Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikesMini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2023
I have an older mac mini and I wanted hook up a bigger monitor

32”

I used a HDMI cable between the mac mini and Emerson 32” Model # LC320EMX produced around 2009

So I hooked up got it to work right off the bat-yeah!

But then I messed with the display settings on my mini mac and the monitor says “unsupported format” and is blank!

I believe I started at 720p and it worked then I switched the display setting to (I think?) 1200 x something and it displays the unsupported format and is the screen is blank

I disconnected the HDMI Cable from the monitor and the mac

Forced quit the mac

powered off the mac and the monitor

Everytime I hook up again I get the unsupported format message on the screen

So I decided to hook up a different 17” monitor and it worked with that monitor

But everytime I hook the 32” I get unsupported format

Is there a way to hook it to the 17” and “erase” the memory of the display that appears on the 32” monitor

I am at wit end—Thanks

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Is that a computer display, or is it a tv?

If it was a 720p tv, 720p is "all you're going to get".

Serious suggestion:
Get a REAL computer display for the Mini. It's worth it.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, it's a 720p TV, and that's all you are going to get
Even a full HD (1080p) picture is not great at 32-inch or larger, and your Emerson TV can't do that.
Now your mini thinks that TV is the resolution that you set, and more than 1366 x 768 (the max resolution for that TV) will not be accepted.
If you really think you want to use that 720p TV... You might try connecting the TV to your mini, then start your mini, while holding Option-command-P-R. That's an NVRAM reset, so continue to hold the same 4 keys until you hear the boot chime sound twice, then release the keys to allow your mini to boot normally. That should allow your TV to show a video signal from your mini.
Try out different settings, if you like. Just remember - you can't go beyond 1366 x 768 on that TV. It's NOT a limitation of the mini, it's a limitation on the TV

MikesMini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2023
Thanks both Delta and Fish—its a 2012 mac mini does the NVRAM reset work in the way you described?
I have wireless windows keyboard I am using so what are the keys I have to push for a NVRAM reset?

I just recently got back into mac
I have an ipad and iphone and thought I get a desktop set up so I bought a refurbished mini mac
I hated windows all those windows computer troubles I got tired of!
I used a mac about 20 years (maybe longer than 20 years) ago when I was a photographer for a newspaper
So I thought I would to go with apple all around!
I am glad I did
As you can see I got a meshed mix of components!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Wired keyboard is better.
Can the wireless keyboard be connected via USB?

MikesMini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2023
Got the keys straightened out: The Option/Command/P/R didn’t work
I am using a wireless keyboard does that make a difference?

MikesMini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2023
Does it make difference when I press Command-Option-P-R if I am using a wireless keyboard— it didn’t work!

I’ll have to look for a wired keyboard I think I have one
Set it up
and try again???

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
On a Windows keyboard - NVRAM reset will be Windows key+Alt+p+r

Yes, quite often a wireless keyboard may not work with a keyboard boot command, particularly if you are using a USB dongle for the wireless connection.

MikesMini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2023
My wireless keyboard is connected through a usb dongle
I will have to dig out a wired keyboard
In the meanwhile I got a remote for tv (it didn’t have one) and was trying change the tv picture size with it but no avail
Back to the wired keyboard and I’ll keep you informed Thanks

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
If you can connect the Emerson via HDMI and another spare display to the thunderbolt port via a mini display port to other video input adapter (if you have one laying around from that era), you should be able to choose the non-Emerson as the main displa. Set them to mirror one another. Then you will be able to adjust settings for both displays on the same screen.

Yes, a wired keyboard is the best solution for keystroke input at boot. I’m not sure the machine checks for wireless inputs until it is ready for login credentials.

MikesMini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2023
Right now I am at wits end
I tried the new remote to change screen size it didn’t work
I found a wired keyboard hooked it up tried a
option-command-p-r to get into and erase NVRAM
Tried it about 10x did not work!
I said the hell with it tonite
Hooked up 17” monitor and downloaded an screen resolution app
Will try that tomorrow see if it works
Then I will reread you post and try what you said
Thanks meson!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'm gonna say it again:
Get a real computer display (not a 720p tv).

A 27" display should do.
Even if it's only 1080p, it will be a world of difference (and they're cheap, too).

MikesMini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2023
Is there any way I can correct the way my mac mini sees the 32” Emerson while I have it working with the 17” monitor
Can I delete something in Display Settings so I can start the 32” Emerson on a “clean slate” erasing the mac mini’s memory of the 32” Emerson

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
This will be my last post to the thread.

Get a REAL COMPUTER DISPLAY.

ANY tv you buy that is 720p is going to look awful.

If you want a tv (for a display) that will look GOOD, get a 43" 4k tv. A good one, like LG or Samsung. Then you'll get a reasonably good display from a tv.

MikesMini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2023
Fish
Sorry if was a bit annoying but if I don’t ask questions (as dumb as they sound) I cant learn

phillman5

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2009
I have an older mac mini and I wanted hook up a bigger monitor

32”

I used a HDMI cable between the mac mini and Emerson 32” Model # LC320EMX produced around 2009

So I hooked up got it to work right off the bat-yeah!

But then I messed with the display settings on my mini mac and the monitor says “unsupported format” and is blank!
It used to be after 5 to 10 seconds at the new resolution, a window should have popped up asking whether to keep the new resolution, if the OK button not pushed, it defaults back to the last used resolution. Evidently that OK button got pushed. You can try to hook both monitors up with the 17" the main screen to see if you can do anything. With an Cinema display on a laptop, Montgomery, I can pull up system prefs/displayson the laptop display, and change the resolution of the Cinema display.

MikesMini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2023
Thanks Phil

I am getting a thunderbolt to hdmi cable to connect one of the monitors
Other monitor is connected with hdmi cable
I tell you how I make out
Sound like reasonable solution

Last edited:

MikesMini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2023
Phil!
IT WORKED!
I can't believe it worked thank you so much Phil!
now I guess I will go in to Display and figure it all out
Again many thanks to you!

MikesMini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2023
Now before I make changes what will I need to do to keep the Emerson 32” as my only monitor?
I don’t want to make changes that will make the screen go blank and read “unsupported format” AGAIN!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Best tip: Don't make random changes to the Display settings.
For example: Your Emerson is limited to 720p, so don't try settings that are beyond that, such as a resolution higher than 1366 x 768. Your TV can't support anything higher.
Some TVs may have possible options that might go beyond the native settings (perhaps outside of the normal range for TV programming), but your Emerson is a cheap TV, and does not show on the specs provided by Emerson that there are any options outside of the normal TV range.
Don't try to force the issue, know that the max you can change resolution must be 1366 x 768.
Keep in mind that this is a cheap TV, displaying at 720p.
So a 32-inch screen at that low resolution will just never be sharp. That's all you get!

MikesMini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2023
DeltaMac
Thanks for the words of wisdom
Yes its old and its cheap the Emerson TV (but so am I !!)
Just had it laying around and thought I’d try it out

MikesMini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2023
Ok minor problem
When I removed the thunderbolt to hdmi cable to the 17” monitor the Emerson 32” went blank
When do I have to do to have only the Emerson 32”
As my monitor?
Right now I have it set up with 17” monitor still connected to hdmi 2
17” monitor Hdmi 1 is connected to an Amazon firestix so I can watch tv while on the computer
Thanks

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.