Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dexterie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
Hello everyone. I currently have an iPad Pro 10.5” and I've been contemplating replacing it with an iPad mini. But then I see many people complaining about screen issues (not just the jelly scrolling) and I'm confused if I should or not replace my current iPad. I mostly use it for content consumption and for reading. The mini looks amazing for reading as it has the perfect size and weight. I also do some gaming, but nothing too intense.
Should I just keep my current iPad, even if its battery is no longer what it used to be? Should I consider an Air / Pro 11" and deal with their dimensions? Would I miss the lack of promotion with the Mini or the air?
thanks!

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I’ve had the Mini 1, 2, 4 and 5 and it’s the only iPad I’ve ever owned. It’s the perfect size for me and I consume a lot of video media such as Netflix, Disney and YouTube. I browse the internet a lot also and it’s an amazing experience. I personally wouldn’t go any larger as you’ll be holding it two handed like a phone.

I don’t know much about the Mini 6 but I like the look of it. I’ll probably upgrade from my 5 once the 7 is out.

Jonr515

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
Midwest!
Hello everyone. I currently have an iPad Pro 10.5” and I've been contemplating replacing it with an iPad mini. But then I see many people complaining about screen issues (not just the jelly scrolling) and I'm confused if I should or not replace my current iPad. I mostly use it for content consumption and for reading. The mini looks amazing for reading as it has the perfect size and weight. I also do some gaming, but nothing too intense.
Should I just keep my current iPad, even if its battery is no longer what it used to be? Should I consider an Air / Pro 11" and deal with their dimensions? Would I miss the lack of promotion with the Mini or the air?
thanks!
I got my wife the mini 6, I've played with it some and like it. Something to consider, if you need a bigger screen at times you can connect it to an external display with a trackpad/mouse and keyboard.

Reactions: dexterie

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I have an 11" M1 Pro and Mini 6. For content consumption, the Mini is my go-to. Once you get used to the Mini, the 11" feels crazy huge and heavy in comparison. For creative work, the Mini is just too small and the 11" just right. So the answer depends on your use cases.

As for Promotion, I really wish the Mini had it, but it is not a deal killer.

dexterie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
Thank you all for your replies!
I don’t think I need a big iPad (I also have a MacBook Pro that I can use for heavier stuff). The smaller form factor is what’s attracting me to the mini. I’m just afraid I’ll miss the better display and the better speakers.
I guess I’ll just bite the bullet…

dexterie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
I got my wife the mini 6, I've played with it some and like it. Something to consider, if you need a bigger screen at times you can connect it to an external display with a trackpad/mouse and keyboard.
Yeah, I forgot about this... as I’ve never had an iPad with a usb-c port…it never came to mind that I can actually connect it to my display. Thanks for this.

dexterie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
I’ve had the Mini 1, 2, 4 and 5 and it’s the only iPad I’ve ever owned. It’s the perfect size for me and I consume a lot of video media such as Netflix, Disney and YouTube. I browse the internet a lot also and it’s an amazing experience. I personally wouldn’t go any larger as you’ll be holding it two handed like a phone.

I don’t know much about the Mini 6 but I like the look of it. I’ll probably upgrade from my 5 once the 7 is out.
I had the mini 4, that I gave to a family member when I upgraded to my current 10.5” Pro. back then, it was the (way) better display and speakers that made upgrade. But now the Mini also comes with stereo speakers, so…

Reactions: Andeddu

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I had the mini 4, that I gave to a family member when I upgraded to my current 10.5” Pro. back then, it was the (way) better display and speakers that made upgrade. But now the Mini also comes with stereo speakers, so…

Yep. It’s the reason I’d like to upgrade my Mini 5 to the 6. The new design, surround sound speakers and better display all make it a much better experience.

Barsal

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2021
Madrid, Spain
I have a MacBook Pro 13" and an iPad mini 6, and I just LOVE it. I use it for media, web browsing and Apple Arcade. My bf has an iPad Pro 11" and now I just see it too big for me for what I do.

If I need heavier task (basically a more powerful OS), I just take the MacBook, but for anything else, I use the iPad mini.

dexterie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
I have a MacBook Pro 13" and an iPad mini 6, and I just LOVE it. I use it for media, web browsing and Apple Arcade. My bf has an iPad Pro 11" and now I just see it too big for me for what I do.

If I need heavier task (basically a more powerful OS), I just take the MacBook, but for anything else, I use the iPad mini.
Ah, nice to hear.
That’s the mac I also have.
I’ll just go and try to buy the mini next week. Apparently stocks are very low everywhere.

• Love
Reactions: Barsal

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
I had the 11” Pro, and got gifted the mini for Christmas… it’s is an amazing iPad, however, as the screen size is relatively close to the 11” it made my Pro feel a bit redundant as I found myself always picking the Mini up over the 11” Pro.

So I swapped the 11” Pro out for the 12.9” and now I feel I have the perfect combo… I use the 12.9” as my sort of laptop/mobile work device (without a keyboard case), and my mini is more like my on the go content consumption device, both give a completely different experience IMO… however the 11” felt like a slightly bigger mini to me but it also felt like a bit of a ‘I don’t know what I want to be’ sort of device, it’s hard to describe, but essentially the 11” is good at some things (content consumption, simple single tasks) but bad at others (more intensive tasks, multi tasking etc)… so I figured it’s best to have two devices which are both really good for their intended purpose…

Considering their isn’t much difference between the Air or 11” I would 100% go with the Air at this point if you want to go for that size option.

However, I would also consider looking at prices for a certified refurbished 12.9 2018/2020 Pro and get the base storage iPad mini to go with it (if your budget allows it of course), looking on the Apple website you can get a 3rd Gen 12.9 Pro certified refurbished and an iPad mini 64GB brand new for less than £100 more than a brand new 5th Gen iPad Pro 12.9… or about £300 more than a brand new 11” Pro.

dexterie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
I had the 11” Pro, and got gifted the mini for Christmas… it’s is an amazing iPad, however, as the screen size is relatively close to the 11” it made my Pro feel a bit redundant as I found myself always picking the Mini up over the 11” Pro.

So I swapped the 11” Pro out for the 12.9” and now I feel I have the perfect combo… I use the 12.9” as my sort of laptop/mobile work device (without a keyboard case), and my mini is more like my on the go content consumption device, both give a completely different experience IMO… however the 11” felt like a slightly bigger mini to me but it also felt like a bit of a ‘I don’t know what I want to be’ sort of device, it’s hard to describe, but essentially the 11” is good at some things (content consumption, simple single tasks) but bad at others (more intensive tasks, multi tasking etc)… so I figured it’s best to have two devices which are both really good for their intended purpose…

Considering their isn’t much difference between the Air or 11” I would 100% go with the Air at this point if you want to go for that size option.

However, I would also consider looking at prices for a certified refurbished 12.9 2018/2020 Pro and get the base storage iPad mini to go with it (if your budget allows it of course), looking on the Apple website you can get a 3rd Gen 12.9 Pro certified refurbished and an iPad mini 64GB brand new for less than £100 more than a brand new 5th Gen iPad Pro 12.9… or about £300 more than a brand new 11” Pro.
Thanks
the idea of getting the 12.9 doesn’t push me. I already have the MacBook Pro 13 and I don’t need a second device with the same display size. But I understand your point. Can’t find any refurbished Mini from apple. Been stalking their store for weeks now and never found one (in Belgium). Saw one from a local store, but the price difference was minimal and not worth it.

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
I got a mini off ebay and tried it for a week with my 12.9" M1, nothing wrong with it, the jelly scrolling didn't even notice it, no pro motion either, great for books, Bible app, video ok just smaller, what I didn't like websites are just same as my 13 pro max where my 12.9 gives the desktop size.
Sold it for what I paid so no loss. I wouldn't like one as my only iPad.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Thanks
the idea of getting the 12.9 doesn’t push me. I already have the MacBook Pro 13 and I don’t need a second device with the same display size. But I understand your point. Can’t find any refurbished Mini from apple. Been stalking their store for weeks now and never found one (in Belgium). Saw one from a local store, but the price difference was minimal and not worth it.

No probs in that case I would definitely consider the 11” Pro or an Air if you have a MacBook, sorry didn’t realise you had a MBP.

It will compliment it well and with Universal Control coming next week it will serve you far better than the mini IMO…

As an FYI the jelly scrolling is barely noticeable on the mini and I am quite fussy with my displays, you only see it if your looking for it.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I've had an older Mini, a 9.7" iPad Pro, and tried an 11" M1 iPP. Two thoughts:

1. The Mini was superior for reading in bed, I used one of those hardcase/folding cover combos and the triangular folded shape made holding it in one hand vastly superior to holding it regually. Since they were connected I could hold it however I wanted without fear of the iPad dropping because the magnet disconnected. Maybe consider getting an older used or refurbished Mini as your dedicated bedtime reading device.
2. I listen to a lot of music and even the 11" iPP's four speakers sound tinny because they lack bass. I found I still needed a small BT speaker, like our old UE Boom, for music to sound good. At which point the iPP's four speakers really aren't that much of a big deal. They will sound better than your 10.5, but they are still small iPad speakers that face the side instead of you.

dexterie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
Is it really that noticeable?
I played with it at the store and while I noticed, i didn’t feel it as a dealbreaker. But maybe it was from being there, just playing with it and not actually using it to read and so.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Is it really that noticeable?
I played with it at the store and while I noticed, i didn’t feel it as a dealbreaker. But maybe it was from being there, just playing with it and not actually using it to read and so.

Depends on the individual. It's not at all noticeable to me. I can see it if I look for it but in my normal use - which is heavy on landscape - I don't notice it at all.

Mac47

macrumors regular
May 25, 2016
The Mini 6 is great for all the reasons you gave. I got the cellular model, and I share an Apple Pencil 2 between the Mini and my Pro 12.9. The portability is so fabulous, and the cellular connectivity is great. The mini is my default device for Google Maps or Apple Maps in the car, for shopping lists, for watching video, and for reading in bed. The Pro is for long-form writing (with the Magic Keyboard), work emails, and ProCreate.

dexterie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
The Mini 6 is great for all the reasons you gave. I got the cellular model, and I share an Apple Pencil 2 between the Mini and my Pro 12.9. The portability is so fabulous, and the cellular connectivity is great. The mini is my default device for Google Maps or Apple Maps in the car, for shopping lists, for watching video, and for reading in bed. The Pro is for long-form writing (with the Magic Keyboard), work emails, and ProCreate.
Yeah, this is what I foresee as my usage (not for gps/navigation) for the mini and then use the MBP 13 for the “computer things” (just like you do with your 12.9)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.