Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Is it really that noticeable?
I played with it at the store and while I noticed, i didn’t feel it as a dealbreaker. But maybe it was from being there, just playing with it and not actually using it to read and so.
Not at all, only on forums like this you’ll hear ppl complain about it.

For reading, media consumption and daily usage its perfect, and for the rest you having your MBP.

Reactions: Wokis and dexterie

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Issue is that the Pro is not as manageable to use as a reader, for example.

Depends on user preferences. For me, it’s easier to read on the 9.7-11” iPads in 2-page landscape mode while resting on something with the cover folded to use as a stand. Meanwhile, carrying the full weight of the mini on one hand is harder on my wrist (RSI + rheumatoid arthritis).

dexterie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
Not at all, only on forums like this you’ll hear ppl complain about it.

For reading, media consumption and daily usage its perfect, and for the rest you having your MBP.
Yeah. Guess it’s all blown out of proportion. Besides, I don’t plan to work or do very demanding things with the mini. That’s where the MBP comes in. Thanks for your reply.

dexterie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
Depends on user preferences. For me, it’s easier to read on the 9.7-11” iPads in 2-page landscape mode while resting on something with the cover folded to use as a stand. Meanwhile, carrying the full weight of the mini on one hand is harder on my wrist (RSI + rheumatoid arthritis).
I see. Of course, different situations and needs. But I read a lot while in bed or sitting in the couch and I always hold the iPad with one hand (alternating). I’ve been doing this with the 10.5 and it’s quite heavy for me. Tried to use the kindle i have more often, but the interface annoys me to death ?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Yeah. Guess it’s all blown out of proportion. Besides, I don’t plan to work or do very demanding things with the mini. That’s where the MBP comes in. Thanks for your reply.

As I mentioned, it doesn't bother me at all but there seems to be strong differences in individual sensitivities to it - some people are clearly more affected than others. There was a post at one point that talked about how eye tracking on a moving screen varies among individuals and that may a big factor in sensitivity to the issue. So, I wouldn't say it's overblown - like fingernails on a blackboard, it may or may not bother you but if it does, it can be awful.

Mac47

macrumors regular
May 25, 2016
Yeah, this is what I foresee as my usage (not for gps/navigation) for the mini and then use the MBP 13 for the “computer things” (just like you do with your 12.9)

Exactly. The 12.9 is my Macbook replacement because my computing needs are light. You will be very happy with the Mini.

Reactions: dexterie

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I hope you love it! I was feeling the same way as i have the 2018 iPad pro 11" and ended up picking up a mini 6, I love the size, I ended up actually giving my 11" to my daughter (in a beefy case/screen protector) since the size of it attracts her attention more and I find that I use the mini just more because of the smaller screen size. The apple pencil 2 works for both and because of the small size if I want to do anything on the larger screen i just take the 11" out of the case and use it. I hope you enjoy the mini as I see you picked it up already, the only downside for me (since the jelly scroll doesn't bother me, I don't scroll fast on it) is the screen brightness, I wanted to use it with my drone and being in soCal it is nearly always sunny and sometimes hard to find shade so then I have to use the iPhone

Redsector83

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2020
The Mini 6 is great for all the reasons you gave. I got the cellular model, and I share an Apple Pencil 2 between the Mini and my Pro 12.9. The portability is so fabulous, and the cellular connectivity is great. The mini is my default device for Google Maps or Apple Maps in the car, for shopping lists, for watching video, and for reading in bed. The Pro is for long-form writing (with the Magic Keyboard), work emails, and ProCreate.
I am also considering buying the iPad mini in addition to my iPad Pro 12.9. Do you have the 64 or 128GB version?

Mac47

macrumors regular
May 25, 2016
There is no 128 GB version of the Mini 6. I have the 256 GB version, which means that my installed apps and documents are identical to those on my 256 GB iPad Pro 12.9. The two iPads are mirrors of each other. The only differences are the screen size and the cellular capability on the Mini.

Redsector83

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2020
Of course 256Gb not 128GB... my mistake.

I use an iPad Pro 12.9 with 1TB as a notebook replacement and on the go I would like an iPad mini 6 5G.

I am still undecided whether it should be 64 or 256GB.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Of course 256Gb not 128GB... my mistake.

I use an iPad Pro 12.9 with 1TB as a notebook replacement and on the go I would like an iPad mini 6 5G.

I am still undecided whether it should be 64 or 256GB.
I have the 64GB one, and I would only recommend if it is solely for basically streaming everything either via wifi/cell or both of course. With app sizes today and even downloading lower quality videos say on netflix or something, along with the size of updates the 64gb could be a big crutch to some people.

I have most files that i would need to access on my various online storage options and I got the cellular mini so needing to pre-download something isn't needed

Mac47

macrumors regular
May 25, 2016
The top-spec iPad Mini is pretty pricey, but I don’t regret the purchase. My iMac barely sees any use anymore. All my time is on the iPad Pro (my Macbook replacement) and the Mini.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Is it really that noticeable?
I played with it at the store and while I noticed, i didn’t feel it as a dealbreaker. But maybe it was from being there, just playing with it and not actually using it to read and so.
I worried about the jelly scroll a tonne before I was gifted it, and in all honesty, it’s been blown up to be a bigger issue than what it really is… I generally use my mini in landscape about 80% of the time (where there is no jelly scrolling), for the 20% that I do use it in portrait, you only really notice it when scrolling blocks of text, and even then it just barely noticeable, definitely not enough to put me off the device, and I am the type which usually notices things like this to a huge degree.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Hello everyone. I currently have an iPad Pro 10.5” and I've been contemplating replacing it with an iPad mini. But then I see many people complaining about screen issues (not just the jelly scrolling) and I'm confused if I should or not replace my current iPad. I mostly use it for content consumption and for reading. The mini looks amazing for reading as it has the perfect size and weight. I also do some gaming, but nothing too intense.
Should I just keep my current iPad, even if its battery is no longer what it used to be? Should I consider an Air / Pro 11" and deal with their dimensions? Would I miss the lack of promotion with the Mini or the air?
thanks!

I compared the IPP 11” to the Mini and chose the Pro last month. Very happy with my choice, the Mini is incredibly light and compact, but the screen for me just wasn’t as good, plus it seemed to have weaker glass? You could push down and make the LCD screen have those funny rainbow colours, couldn’t do that in the Pro or not as easily, but it’s not something to really worry about as you have to press on the Mini screen to make it happen. Also to me the speakers are better in the Pro, and you can easily tell the difference.
It entirely depends on what you want though. One thing I will say is I play games too and I’ve noticed they are quite big now, even small games are pushing 200mb plus, so that 64GB in the Mini will be a limit. You may want to consider the 256GB model, the base IPP has 128GB which is fine for me.
Both iPads felt fast to me too, both are fantastic devices, I suggest you get hands on with both of them though before deciding if you can, compare them side by side as it’s the best way to make an informed decision. They aren’t cheap devices and are built to last several years with careful use.
I also want to get into some digital art and so a bigger screen also made sense for that for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: dexterie

dexterie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
I worried about the jelly scroll a tonne before I was gifted it, and in all honesty, it’s been blown up to be a bigger issue than what it really is… I generally use my mini in landscape about 80% of the time (where there is no jelly scrolling), for the 20% that I do use it in portrait, you only really notice it when scrolling blocks of text, and even then it just barely noticeable, definitely not enough to put me off the device, and I am the type which usually notices things like this to a huge degree.
I notice it, but it doesn’t disturb me. I can make my brain notice it, but I can also ignore it. Besides, when using Books or Kindle, the text is static so… no issue there.

dexterie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
I compared the IPP 11” to the Mini and chose the Pro last month. Very happy with my choice, the Mini is incredibly light and compact, but the screen for me just wasn’t as good, plus it seemed to have weaker glass? You could push down and make the LCD screen have those funny rainbow colours, couldn’t do that in the Pro or not as easily, but it’s not something to really worry about as you have to press on the Mini screen to make it happen. Also to me the speakers are better in the Pro, and you can easily tell the difference.
It entirely depends on what you want though. One thing I will say is I play games too and I’ve noticed they are quite big now, even small games are pushing 200mb plus, so that 64GB in the Mini will be a limit. You may want to consider the 256GB model, the base IPP has 128GB which is fine for me.
Both iPads felt fast to me too, both are fantastic devices, I suggest you get hands on with both of them though before deciding if you can, compare them side by side as it’s the best way to make an informed decision. They aren’t cheap devices and are built to last several years with careful use.
I also want to get into some digital art and so a bigger screen also made sense for that for me.
I went for the 64gb version. I basically only use the iPad for reading, YouTube and some streaming. As for the games, I only play one or two at a time (I don’t have more time to spare for mobile games) so I figured it would be enough for me. My 10.5 iPad Pro was 256 and I was sitting at less than 40gb used and I had many many apps installed that I never used.

I plan to eventually get a Pro as well, if they ever released one with oled display. In the meantime, I have my MacBook Pro and my work Windows pc for other stuff.

The mini has been great for my usage. I notice I read a lot more now, for longer periods, because the device is just much manageable. Also nice to have the usb-c port to attach peripherals (like my tesla sentry mode usb drive to check clips). If the display could be better? Definitely! Could be a lot brighter. I find it dim and this bugs me more than the refresh rate or the jelly scroll. But it’s totally usable and I’m loving it. If I recommend it for someone as their single device? No. They’d be better with a base iPad or an air, for example. But as a reader, it’s the best iPad.

Sailormannn

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
My only beef with the Mini 6 is the layout of the Homescreen. The spacing of the icons and widgets is terrible and needs to be optimized. This is the first thing I see when I open up and I can’t get over why they haven’t fixed it yet.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
My only beef with the Mini 6 is the layout of the Homescreen. The spacing of the icons and widgets is terrible and needs to be optimized. This is the first thing I see when I open up and I can’t get over why they haven’t fixed it yet.
That’s why I put all my apps that I use most in the dock, and any additional frequently used apps in a folder in the dock, with the remaining apps just in the App Library… it makes the Home Screen more like my Mac ?

Reactions: gymrat2k
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.