Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Hauwei just released their new 28 inch 3:2 3840 x 2520 165 dpi 500 nits DCI-P3 matte monitor for 600 (edit: 699) euros in Europe. Pair that with a Mac mini, and for the same price as the new iMac, you get a much better productivity machine.

As a coder, writer, and reader, I'm definitely excited about this. My scroll wheel can finally take a rest!

E23X5l4UcAE5Bsd.jpeg
E23X9RuVUAMwr5n.jpeg

Last edited:

Soccerrick10

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2019
Pair that with a Mac mini, and for the same price as the new iMac, you get a much better productivity machine.
Just curious how that combination gives you much better productivity. Is it the increased screen size over the iMac? Just trying to understand how it helps. I have a Mac Mini M1 attached to a LG CX 48” OLED tv. That has really helped in productivity because I segment the screen into 4 equally sized windows that let me keep almost everything I need right in front of me.

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
It is on the Hauwei Germany website already. I imagine it will make its way to the UK in the next week or so. They sold their MateBook laptops on Amazon UK so imagine they will do the same.

No clue on panel manufacturer, could be an exclusive for Hauwei like the iMac panels are for Apple. At a guess BOE.

Just curious how that combination gives you much better productivity. Is it the increased screen size over the iMac? Just trying to understand how it helps. I have a Mac Mini M1 attached to a LG CX 48” OLED tv. That has really helped in productivity because I segment the screen into 4 equally sized windows that let me keep almost everything I need right in front of me.

Because working on code/documents vertical real estate is extremely useful to avoid scrolling too much. The iMac 4.5K may be exquisitely sharp, but it's still a 16:9 display. Load up an article on the New York Times, and you'll make almost the same number of scroll movements as a $100 1080p display.

binaryduke

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2015
3x Benq BL3201-PT (2 stacked horizontal; 1 vertical). LG 38WN95.

I write software for trading financial markets (and trade them). The stacked displays are watching the markets. The LG is there day to day stuff. Vertical is there for coding height. It varies whether I code on the LG and dump email etc on the vertical or vice-versa.

I'm awaiting the LG 40WP95 for 5120x2160 at the same PPI as the 32" Benq displays (which is a horrible PPI IMHO). There are some interesting possibilities in a pair of those Huaweis side by side. The vertical height is nice. PPI could be bad however. The Huawei does not seem to have VESA either.

With the benefit of hindsight :) I think 2560x1440 @ 27" is better for a vertical display. Optimal PPI. 32" 4k is a real no-man's land on PPI and is a little too high physically.

holisticrunner

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2019
Hauwei just released their new 28 inch 3:2 3840 x 2520 160 dpi 500 nits P3 matte monitor for 600 euros in Europe. Pair that with a Mac mini, and for the same price as the new iMac, you get a much better productivity machine.

As a coder, writer, and reader, I'm definitely excited about this. My scroll wheel can finally take a rest!

View attachment 1786054 View attachment 1786053
You know the iMac is targeting towards regular consumers and not power users right?

Mac mini was always designed for people who want to buy their own display, so it makes perfect sense.

iMac killer is a Mac mini + monitor makes NOSENSE.

iMac is a All-in-one ... Mac mini + monitor is not. It's not that hard to understand.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
You know the iMac is targeting towards regular consumers and not power users right?

Mac mini was always designed for people who want to buy their own display, so it makes perfect sense.

iMac killer is a Mac mini + monitor makes NOSENSE.

iMac is a All-in-one ... Mac mini + monitor is not. It's not that hard to understand.
The smaller iMac is targeted towards regular users, the larger iMac includes power users.

I currently have a 27” iMac that I am considering replacing with a Mac Mini and this screen (possibly two of them). I like an all-in-one, but I like height-adjustment and this aspect ratio more.

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
@holisticrunner , do regular consumers pay $1500 for a computer? I would hardly say office work is a power user. Most people who are not editing videos or consuming media would benefit from non 16:9 ratios. Perhaps it says more about society if many people are now buying iMacs just to watch and create youtube videos on!

Also the iMacs never used to be 16:9, they were 16:10 and 4:3 I believe.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Rumours pointed to 32” 4500x3000, which would have been brilliant, but what has been released is great.
I'd love to have the Surface Studio's 28" 4500×3000 panel as a stand-alone monitor. It's 193 ppi so quite a bit closer to macOS' ideal range (215-230 ppi) than the Huawei. However, as you say it's still a nice deal.

Last edited:

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I'd love to have the Surface Studio's 28" 4500x3000 panel as a stand-alone monitor. It's 193 ppi so quite a bit closer to macOS' ideal range (215-230 ppi) than the Huawei. However, as you say it's still a nice deal.
Yes, 28” 4500x3000 would be amazing. I’m surprised there are not more monitor aspect ratios available instead of endless me-too products.

holisticrunner

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2019
The smaller iMac is targeted towards regular users, the larger iMac includes power users.

I currently have a 27” iMac that I am considering replacing with a Mac Mini and this screen (possibly two of them). I like an all-in-one, but I like height-adjustment and this aspect ratio more.
Moonjumper : We are still talking about iMac 24" recently introduced right? So I think you answered your own question.

@holisticrunner , do regular consumers pay $1500 for a computer? I would hardly say office work is a power user. Most people who are not editing videos or consuming media would benefit from non 16:9 ratios. Perhaps it says more about society if many people are now buying iMacs just to watch and create youtube videos on!

Also the iMacs never used to be 16:9, they were 16:10 and 4:3 I believe.
tornado99 : Regular computes will definitely pay $1500 for a computer, Yes. iMac 24" have 6+ colours using their base model M1 CPU. Clearly aimed at regular consumers and not power users.

Many regular folks record videos on their GoPro and record video on their iPhones casually on an occational basis. Would they benefit from iMac 24"? Definitely.

Anymore questions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.