Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cub4bearin

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Got two of them today and sending them back. $200 of tiny sound. Back to Sonos. Too bad, because I was hoping for more.

Reactions: Melmanoh

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Have you tried Settings>Music>EQ>Bass Reducer? That made the bass less muddy for me and cleared the mids/highs a bit.
I assume that only works if you play direct from the phone/Music app and don't use Apple Music/siri to play. It's a bit late now as I've returned both of the units i picked up.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I agree with everyone that the sound quality is lacking. For some more than others. However, to be fair, it is better than any bluetooth speaker of the same size that I’ve tried. Although, it’s also 2-3X the cost of any small bluetooth speaker. But you’re also getting the HomeKit connectivity that you don’t with a small $50 BT speaker. And I think the loudness is great considering it’s the size of a baseball.

You might be able to rectify the volume problem by making a stereo pair. But that won’t solve the quality issue.

If you’re like me and only want a small unobtrusive speaker on your nightstand, this is perfect. I would not recommend to any of my friends that they buy a pair for their TV though. I would still say that the regular HomePod is MUCH better for a TV sound system.

Reactions: Melmanoh

Melmanoh

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2020
Got two of them today and sending them back. $200 of tiny sound. Back to Sonos. Too bad, because I was hoping for more.
My thoughts as well! I'm keeping my mini to control the Sonos in the bathroom but again there is no comparison

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Just like the OG HomePod, I've found placement with the Mini really affects the bass and sound quality. The big HomePod for me does better on really solid/dense surfaces like brick. The Mini seems to excel on thinner surfaces with a cavity beneath them (like a 1/2 inch wooden shelf for example).

I have a couple of the above lamps in the corners of my sunroom. I placed a stereo pair of Minis, one on the top shelf of each lamp, and at 90% volume you can actually feel the bass. They sound really good for the size.

I definitely recommend experimenting with surfaces and locations before giving up on the audio quality of these things. In the right spot, they really do sound much bigger than they look.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
Does the mini sound like it is stuck inside a box and the sound is struggling to get out (muffled), just like the big HomePod.

The original HomePod always sounded to me like it was stuck inside a box and had no fidelity or treble, just loads of bass overpowering the vocals.

I have been listening to videos of the mini and it sounds to me like it is just the same but on a smaller scale, if this is the case it is very disappointing.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Does the mini sound like it is stuck inside a box and the sound is struggling to get out (muffled), just like the big HomePod.
Not in my experience. The Mini is crisp and clear - but again, what's under them and where they are in a room matters a lot when it comes to audio clarity and bass response in my opinion. All I know is when I pushed them to 90% volume last night, I actually smiled at the result. Pleasantly impressed.

Reactions: surf2snow1

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana

The original HomePod always sounded to me like it was stuck inside a box and had no fidelity or treble, just loads of bass overpowering the vocals.

I have been listening to videos of the mini and it sounds to me like it is just the same but on a smaller scale, if this is the case it is very disappointing.

If you didn’t like the original Homepod you’re gonna hate the mini. In the mini, the mid-bass still clips the treble. I think they both sound great. But clearly, I’m not as picky as you.

firewire9000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2015
I agree that the full sized HomePod sounds much better. As I said I have an stereo pair in my living room and when the same song is playing in all of the HomePods and I move from the living room to the bedroom where the mini is in, I can definitely hear the difference, the sound is muffled and it’s lacking clarity. But, at least for me, it doesn’t mean that the sound is bad. As others said, for a nightstand speaker is plenty enough. I’m thinking about getting another and setting it as stereo or put in the bathroom.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Just like the OG HomePod, I've found placement with the Mini really affects the bass and sound quality. The big HomePod for me does better on really solid/dense surfaces like brick. The Mini seems to excel on thinner surfaces with a cavity beneath them (like a 1/2 inch wooden shelf for example).
I would definitely agree with that. And going a step further, my Mini sounds way louder in a room with hardwood floors than it does in my bedroom with carpet and a king-sized bed with comforter on it. Even though they’re great for bedrooms, that may be one of the more challenging environments if you’re looking for big sound.

Reactions: dotme

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
If you didn’t like the original Homepod you’re gonna hate the mini. In the mini, the mid-bass still clips the treble. I think they both sound great. But clearly, I’m not as picky as you.
Thanks for the info, but I don’t think having a speaker that sounds like it is stuck inside a box is being picky.

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
I like mine and the sound is generally very good. It is NOT the original HomePod in terms of sound quality. I would say the original can be used for critical listening while the mini is very good at background ambient sound. Pleasant in a bedroom, etc.

Reactions: firewire9000

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
This is my exactly my impression of the OG HomePod as well. I listen mostly to female vocals (Celine Dion type of music), and all I hear is the bass (yes I've tried to move the HomePod away from the wall).

What other speaker should I use instead of the HomePod? Also, I mostly listen on quite low volume (apartment...). But I do want the music to sound great at the low volume.

Melmanoh

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2020
This is my exactly my impression of the OG HomePod as well. I listen mostly to female vocals (Celine Dion type of music), and all I hear is the bass (yes I've tried to move the HomePod away from the wall).

What other speaker should I use instead of the HomePod? Also, I mostly listen on quite low volume (apartment...). But I do want the music to sound great at the low volume.
Sonos One or SL if you do not need a voice assistant is the best speaker under $200 in my opinion. I have 3 of them. You can also adjust the treble and Bass on them.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah...the mini lacks a clarity, sort of crispness to it...for me I'll keep it by the bed for a quick alarm, timer to remind me of things, music in the background, ask Siri the weather kinda thing. It's certainly good for its size, but for my ears the roundness of the sound isn't there.

ZeChild

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Glasgow, UK
Ok don't want to sound like an Apple fanboy here but what was everyone expecting from a $99 speaker? did you expect that it would destroy a Sonos One at half the size and half the cost (price point and literally physics won't allow that), or maybe your comparing it to a Echo dot that's half the price but in reality subsidised through marketing and data mining?

Is it the best speaker in the world ever? hell no but for $99 bucks a pop it's pretty damn good, the beats pill is $179 and has comparable sound with no smart features at all and that's sold by essentially the same company.

If everyone was looking for an amazing soundscape from this then you should have bought 2 HomePods or if that's not to your taste a full Sonos system ?

I know that's harsh but expectations Vs reality!

firewire9000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2015
Ok don't want to sound like an Apple fanboy here but what was everyone expecting from a $99 speaker? did you expect that it would destroy a Sonos One at half the size and half the cost (price point and literally physics won't allow that), or maybe your comparing it to a Echo dot that's half the price but in reality subsidised through marketing and data mining?

Is it the best speaker in the world ever? hell no but for $99 bucks a pop it's pretty damn good, the beats pill is $179 and has comparable sound with no smart features at all and that's sold by essentially the same company.

If everyone was looking for an amazing soundscape from this then you should have bought 2 HomePods or if that's not to your taste a full Sonos system ?

I know that's harsh but expectations Vs reality!

Beats Pill sounds absolutely worse than the HomePod mini, heck even the integrated speakers of an iMac 21” sound better than the Pill.

Reactions: ZeChild

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Sonos One or SL if you do not need a voice assistant is the best speaker under $200 in my opinion. I have 3 of them. You can also adjust the treble and Bass on them.
Between "Sonos One", "Sonos One SL" and "Sonos One (Gen 2)", do you happen to know if any of them plays nicer with the Apple ecosystem?

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
I’m pretty happy with the sound quality, These minis replaces my Amazon echo 2nd generation around the house and I want to say the HomePod minis sound better. Also bought an original HomePod that replaces the Amazon echo studio. I think the only thing I will miss is the Amazon notification when I have a delivery and currently the Spotify integration, but hopefully Spotify sets that up soon.

Melmanoh

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2020
Between "Sonos One", "Sonos One SL" and "Sonos One (Gen 2)", do you happen to know if any of them plays nicer with the Apple ecosystem?
They all have air play 2, so they will appear as speakers when you airplay from your iOS device. The only difference is the sl’s don’t have mic’s so it won’t have Alexa or google assistant (which I prefer). I also believe the gen 2 they updated the processer, yet the sound is the same. I have one of each and they play great with my homepod and HomePod mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.