Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
They didn't bother saying which version, but the tones are only back in the 17.1 beta. Apple just reverted the whole sounds thing back to a previous state - so all the new 17.0 tones have been removed too. Let's see what later betas bring to the table.

dburkhanaev

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2018
17.0.2 is the latest release. He might be on a beta build.
I just moved to 17.0.2 last night. No such luck here. I have the custom tones from before. They work. But in the tone list it’s labeled “None”.

I don’t see any change on my end.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
I just moved to 17.0.2 last night. No such luck here. I have the custom tones from before. They work. But in the tone list it’s labeled “None”.

I don’t see any change on my end.
It's on 17.1 beta 1, not 17.0.2. Although 17.0.2 was released on 9/26 for most devices, it was released on 9/21 for the 15/15 Pro, and even then, seems like some very small changes, especially in helping with migrating to a new device (15/15 Pro went 17.0->17.0.2, while everything else went 17.0->17.0.1 and then to 17.0.2 a few days later, probably just to get every device on a similar build/version number).

Last edited:

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
One positive thing to note, Just because Apple has moved a "fix" to a point release doesn't mean they still can't back port that "fix" to prior releases. It's possible to still see a 17.0.3 release in quick fashion for this, considering it's a potential accessibility issue. What about blind people that have custom tones for various things. What about people hard of hearing that use specific tones.. It may not be "crashing" but it's a glaring omission considering the need to update the new new iPhone 15 right away anyway, and then the smattering of updates after.. I bet this gets fixed quick.

AM2354

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2020
WTF! I had 17.0.2 then an upgrade showed up and I downloaded it, and now I am back to 17.0.1, lost all the new ringtones, but got back my custom SMS notification tones. What to do? I know, I may have to go over to Android if this keeps up.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
WTF! I had 17.0.2 then an upgrade showed up and I downloaded it, and now I am back to 17.0.1, lost all the new ringtones, but got back my custom SMS notification tones. What to do? I know, I may have to go over to Android if this keeps up.
iOS 17.1 beta brought it back but removed the new tones. There may be another release 17.0.3 possibly. Only time can tell.

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Sounds like you might have beta updates enabled and inadvertently installed the 17.1 beta.

FireFish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Sounds like you might have beta updates enabled and inadvertently installed the 17.1 beta.
Yeh, that's actually a known documented issue with 17.1 Beta 1 and caused me to cancel the download mid-way.

FireFish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
I've been hearing that there's some kind of issue with purchased tones in this version. May need to wait for an update.
BTW it's not only purchased tones. I had hundreds of non-purchased manually accumulated tones as well that vanished.
As others have noted, every iOS 17 pre-release beta and development build had absolutely no issues.

Reactions: whsbuss

FireFish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Must be something. I know the default tone for most apps is so quiet it’s unbelievable. And changing it back to tritone is not possible. What another apple clown show.
As if asking to innovate actual new features in a major iPhone upgrade is too much, they have to tinker with the tones to make it feel like its progressing. It feels like its regressing and we the suckers people are paying nearly $2k for the privilege yearly.

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
I wonder if they'd release an interim update (17.0.3) to handle this. It is an accessibility issue now. Some of the people I work with that are visually impaired rely on specific tones for specific contacts.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I wonder if they'd release an interim update (17.0.3) to handle this. It is an accessibility issue now. Some of the people I work with that are visually impaired rely on specific tones for specific contacts.
You make a great point. Be sure when you submit feedback to Apple you include this scenario.

Dog Bone Malone

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023
Muffsville, Jannerbama. Uk.
Yee gads! o_O I've just updated my 14Pm to IOS 17.02. Apart from the actual ringtone, my custom sounds for mail, alarms, voicemail etc etc that I transferred from my Mac, have disappeared from my phone! I have just tried transfering them back onto my phone, but they just won't show!

Not happy. I loved my pacman sound when I got new mail, and my nuclear siren as my reminder sound. Pfft!

Come on Apple. Stop f****ing about.

PS: feedback submitted.

Last edited:
Reactions: adrianlondon

Dog Bone Malone

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023
Muffsville, Jannerbama. Uk.
Luckily, the personalised ringtones on my 14PM are still there after the IOS 17 install. However, as others have previously stated, the new default alert tone is disappointingly quiet. Let's hope a 17.01 upgrade will bring a solution. Who knows, one day, maybe Apple will let us choose are own default alert tone - how radical would that be, in the knowledge that Android has let you do this for ever and a day! Sheesh!
Replying to oneself - scrap that. That was a load of bollocks. Installed IOS 17.02 aaaaaaaaaand they have disappeared! FFS.

Imac Sam

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
Harrisonburg, Virginia
I came across the issue when I was showing a friend on how to do custom text tones with their new iphone 15 Pro Max. Not too happy with this issue as I have about 200 custom text tones installed. Waiting on Apple to fix it as the "fix" mentioned earlier in the post would be a pain in the Asterisk to do myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.