Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Not a developer but 17.1 beta 2 does have the new ringtones back. Don’t know if the custom tones have stayed or are removed for text notifications

Edit: disregard.

SusieS

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2018
today, I clicked on the Tone Store in Sounds and Haptics in my iPhone settings, and bought an alert tone. It now shows up in my Music library as music, but not in my downloaded tone purchases. Is this related to the glitch, and can I assume it will be fixed in 17.1?

Last edited:

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
Guys, just setting up my new phone from scratch. I had a lot of custom ringtones but I don't see a way to transfer them back to the phone.

I understand that 17.1 may fix the ability to set custom tones from *existing* tones on the phone, but how can I get the old custom ringtones into my new phone? Obviously iTunes is no longer an option and there are no ringtones tab in the Finder. Also, tried AirDrop but it only puts them in Files. I understand that I should be able to at least set a custom tone for a phone call, right?

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
Guys, just setting up my new phone from scratch. I had a lot of custom ringtones but I don't see a way to transfer them back to the phone.

I understand that 17.1 may fix the ability to set custom tones from *existing* tones on the phone, but how can I get the old custom ringtones into my new phone? Obviously iTunes is no longer an option and there are no ringtones tab in the Finder. Also, tried AirDrop but it only puts them in Files. I understand that I should be able to at least set a custom tone for a phone call, right?

I reply to myself. I found a way.

Connect your phone to your Mac, open the Mac Music app, click on your phone, drag the .m4r files (ringtones) to the phone song window. It works! Now my ringtones are back in my iPhone.

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
I reply to myself. I found a way.

Connect your phone to your Mac, open the Mac Music app, click on your phone, drag the .m4r files (ringtones) to the phone song window. It works! Now my ringtones are back in my iPhone.
That's how I do it in Windows. Open iTunes, go to the Tones window / folder of my phone then drag the ringtones into it, but when going to the phone's settings where you can choose text tones, they still do not appear in there. They only appear in the ringtone list.

andy.jc

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2020
Apparently the file format is caf so convert tones you want for text and mail etc this may work
I got to try this as I accidentally went into tones it’s not there any more
So hopefully my audio converter will fix this

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
I'm confused. On 17.0.3 ringtones for phone calls work perfectly well for my wife. But my phone (a brand new 15 Pro with the same version) resorts to stock tones, even if I set the same ringtone she uses for me (a custom one I created some time ago).

The only difference is that I had to re-transfer the ringtones from the Mac as it was a fresh iOS install instead restoring from a backup. She just upgraded from iOS 16.

Strange! When I go to Contacts I am able to see the custom ringtones, and they play OK when I choose one of them. So they are there, but for some reason don't work.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
I'm confused. On 17.0.3 ringtones for phone calls work perfectly well for my wife. But my phone (a brand new 15 Pro with the same version) resorts to stock tones, even if I set the same ringtone she uses for me (a custom one I created some time ago).

The only difference is that I had to re-transfer the ringtones from the Mac as it was a fresh iOS install instead restoring from a backup. She just upgraded from iOS 16.

Strange! When I go to Contacts I am able to see the custom ringtones, and they play OK when I choose one of them. So they are there, but for some reason don't work.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Custom tones are broken. Install 17.1 beta or wait until the final version of 17.1 is released.

Reactions: osplo

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
Custom tones are broken. Install 17.1 beta or wait until the final version of 17.1 is released.

Thanks, but I would say are broken for some people and not for others. As mentioned, if I call my wife's iPhone with the same version as me, the custom tone plays as usual. Go figure.

Anyway, I'll wait, as you suggested. No biggie.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Thanks, but I would say are broken for some people and not for others. As mentioned, if I call my wife's iPhone with the same version as me, the custom tone plays as usual. Go figure.

Anyway, I'll wait, as you suggested. No biggie.
My custom tones work where they were previously assigned. They don’t work if I change them though as I cannot select the custom tones. So as long as I don’t want to change anything it works fine. Unfortunately I found this out by changing my text tone on the I-as so it’s stuck with a default tone now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.