Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I thought about buying a monitor because it is by far the worst thing in my set - I don't even know how old it is, I once got it for free. But I will not get second eyes ....

I will buy an HD monitor, maybe I will use it in the future with a new mini? For now, I could only buy Windows licenses and run it alongside linux for now. At the same time, my wife's old laptop that barely starts up Win 10 will retire.

I will be somehow compatible with iDevices (via iTunes), and when the time comes to replace the hardware, I will already know if Windows is ok or buy a mini with ASi ...

Damn, I also have a road bike;)

I don't know where you're located but you can sometimes find hardware for free. I recently gave the security guard where I used to work, a 2008 Dell Studio XPS 435mt with 24 GB of RAM, a newer video card, and Power Supply. I had promised it to him a year ago and finally cleaned it up to give to him. I have a Dell 20 inch 1,600x1,200 monitor, 2 20 inch HD monitors sitting on a table in the basement that I will give away as I'm too lazy to try to sell things like this. I will likely have a 24 inch 1920x1200 monitor as well.

One of the local City Dumps has an area for electronics exchange. People leave computer gear and electronics and other people can look it over and take it home if they want to.

I've donated about 8 Dell monitors over the years to the local public library.

So sometimes you can get hardware for free.

I have a spare 25 inch 2,560x1,440 monitor in the basement and am planning on replacing my wife's Samsung with it. The Dell is height-adjustable so it will be better for posture.

filu_

macrumors regular
May 30, 2020
I am a bit of a recycleer - I got a lot of things for free, e.g. my first iPhone 5S :) Now I got an iPhone 8 from my brother, only SE I bought a new one, but as it was already leaving the scene ... My Air is a refurb, I put the computer back for some 8 years ago, but the first CRT monitor was free, the second - LCD - too. However, in this case, it's a pity for the eyes, I'll just buy something new that will handle my old computer and maybe a new one. I just need FHD.

Of course, there are electronics stores used, for example, after leasing by companies, but probably this time I will use LG or Eizo.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
My first iPhone (well, first smartphone period) was a 3GS back in 2010. After that I tended to dabble in Android phones and tablets and anything from Windows, as I'm a tech enthusiast who loves seeing what's happening in tech (you should see all the devices I got! I never throw anything away) so I am as invested in every ecosystem out there, from Apple, to Google, to Microsoft, and even Amazon (yes, I though the Fire Phone was neat! Don't laugh!). So the side-effect is I don't suffer ecosystem lock-in. All my music is also spread across platforms too. Apps all purchased on every system too. So I could leave Apple for Microsoft and lose nothing. I also store tons of stuff offline on my devices and refuse to use 'the cloud'.

filu_

macrumors regular
May 30, 2020
At the moment, I tend to limit the number of devices and simplify things. My way is one multi-tasking desktop and satellite devices (phones, tablets).

I often sit in front of the desktop anyway because I like the big screen, keyboard and mouse.

But sometimes I use my iPad on the couch or on the go.

From iPhone / iPad I export photos to the server, download music, have access to movies.

[QUOTE = "nickdalzell1, post: 28921360, member: 1200326"]
I also store tons of stuff offline on my devices and refuse to use 'the cloud'.
[/QUOTE]

In this I agree, I have my photos, films and music, I want to have them at home and decide how they are stored.

Cloud only to a limited extent, e.g. shared documents.

Spotify, Netflix - it's not for me.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I just hold onto the stuff I got for redundancy. It's nice to have a drawer full of backup phones should one of mine fall victim to a drop or other malady. All of them have the same apps and sync stuff so I never have to go through the hell of reinstalling and re-logging in every single app. Peace of mind for me. Also nice if I feel like reliving nostalgia (HTC Thunderbolt, Galaxy S4, etc)

Right now my Galaxy A01 has issues with spam text sent from emails (like 20 per day) so I switched back to my Galaxy S4 which has a different number after finding out my phone number on the A01 is a victim of a data breach. Until that's settled it's nice to still have a usable phone that's new enough to work.

Reactions: kazmac

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I have not had time to do my new PC build but I needed one of my laptops for mobile use so I took my 2014 MBP out of the desktop setup and took the new video card (GTX 1050 Ti) and put it into my 2008 Dell Desktop and it works great. It's driving 2 4K displays and using less than one third of available Video RAM. This system still runs really well for normal day-to-day desktop stuff. I'm not running my Trading Programs today. I could hook up my third display to this system too. I may turn off the 2015 MacBook Pro and just use the Windows system for today. I think that I can get by without macOS for a day.

I want to start the PC build tonight. The toughest thing in the build will be to install the aftermarket cooler as it is an absolute monster. Everything else should be straightforward. The 2008 Dell is nice but the new system will use 1/8th the power on CPU and will run far cooler than this system.

Reactions: filu_

filu_

macrumors regular
May 30, 2020
I decided to build a new Linux computer within a year. I can't get rid of old habits, convenience (no viruses, miniDLNA, encryption of arbitrarily selected partitions by system tools) and imperfections (printer...). We will get rid of my wife's old laptop (Windows) and buy a Windows license for a virtual machine (access to iTunes).

If I am convinced of Windows I will get rid of Linux, if not I will stay in VM.

My wife will stay with Apple, I am thinking about migrating to Android. If I had to mention all the worst features of Apple in one word, it would be "iTunes" ...

Regards :D

djshack

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Boston, MA
I was 100% Apple (iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air 2017, Apple TV) with more-open peripherals (Sonos instead of HomePod, Spotify instead of Apple Music), and recently bought an Alienware gaming PC, so the struggle is real.

To be honest, the iCloud app for Windows isn't bad these days, as it's built on OneDrive tech, so I have all my files on my PC.

That said, at this point in time, while the MacBook feels nice to use, if it goes, I can't see myself spending $1K for another laptop to use for web surfing and basically just Quicken (I actually prefer the Mac version!) that will end up getting too damn hot. I'd likely end up buying a Dell laptop, furthering myself from the Apple ecosystem.

filu_

macrumors regular
May 30, 2020
I've had a rough adventure lately. I urgently needed to fill in the excel document. It was a kind of survey with lots of checkboxes and one simple formula for counting.

Unfortunately, the author of the file locked some fields for editing, so I couldn't use LibreOffice - I couldn't put an "x" in a checbox.

I was able to fill out the form on the iPad after converting to Numbers. That's when the problem with printing started - the default printing with Numbers requires an Airprint printer, which I don't have.

The option to send the file to the Brother application does not appear. The export to pdf remains. I can print the pdf, but the export broke the formatting and the checkboxes moved with the text and the document became unreadable.

Using iCloud leads to the same - export to pdf and lost formatting. LibreOffice will not open your Numbers. Maybe then it will export the Numbers file on the iPad to excel and via Dropbox the opening on the desktop with LibreOffice?

Theoretically yes, in practice the formatting is lost again, this time the gray color that filled the descriptive part of the document disappeared. However, I wanted the formatting not to be lost.

Finally I installed excel on the iPad, converted the Numbers file to .xlsx, and was able to send from the iPad to the Brother application that handled my printer.

---------
After all this, I come to the conclusion that I will not be able to successfully transfer my documents from the desktop to the iPad. There is absolutely no point in shifting documents from device to device and using Numbers, Excel and LibreOffice.

To simplify this, I have to choose either Excel or Numbers. Numbers is out because I don't want Mac OS....

filu_

macrumors regular
May 30, 2020
I must admit that it was not a typical use case, but it made me focus on a sensible office suite;)

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
My boss at the golf car shop I work at had a similar issue. She just got the new Windows 10 'update' that included the new Edge browser. She can't just tap print and have it go to the printer in one click. Now, she has to open the entire print-dialog, then change it from 'save as PDF' to 'print to OfficeJet'. This is during printing of PDF files sent to her via email. What was once one click, is now three or four.

Another example involves the new Microsoft Office. Given that this machine used to be a Vista box, she still has the Office apps from 2007 on it. That's what she uses for Excel and Word. She was sent a Word document via email recently that she couldn't open. I tried to fix it, which involved installing the new Office 365, but alas, she has no subscription. I tried to input my 365 account info, but it conflicted with the user account set up on this computer and wouldn't open the file. Needless to say she lost a customer over that one.

If this is a sign of things to come, my outlook for the future isn't a bright one anymore.

filu_

macrumors regular
May 30, 2020
You just reminded me of my feelings with the Mac. While on the phone I accepted the fact that I am known by my name to buy applications, I could not accept it on the computer, after spending years on Linux.

All big companies want to link us to our credit cards ;)

I have already made a decision that will not solve my problem with printing documents from a computer but will clean up the mess a little.

While the iPad saved me in the case described above, I decided to get rid of it. It is only a gadget, my attempts to transfer to iPad OS turned out to be a failure. The keyboard I bought was inconvenient for me, I hate Mac keyboard shortcuts (I deleted an important e-mail at the end of typing), I stopped using it. Air is heavy and bulky for a couch device, my old mini was a hundred times better :)

iWork in the browser is a joke, in addition not funny. In fact, I need a working computer, perhaps with Windows, and a telephone. Until now, I thought that the budget iPhone + iPad is a good set, but this time I will buy a better phone ;)

I am thinking of replacing iPhone with Xperia. Android, Google tracking annoys me, but if I can transfer my music from my computer to my phone without iTunes, I think I will. Or I'll change the iP 8 to the iP 11 :D

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
See, I'm in a different boat for myself (not my work life but personally). I hate...hate HATE flat UI design. I am old enough to have grown up with Amiga WorkBench 1.5, Tandy DeskMate, and various other flat UIs and back then it was due to limited hardware/graphics capabilities. So when 2000+ rolled around I was dazzled by the increasing 3-D and skeuo UI design and after being given an iPhone 3GS at a time when I thought smartphones merely a 'fad', the UI of that thing really amazed me. It was, well, to coin the distro of Linux in your avatar, ' a lot of fun!'

As the years passed, newer iOS got even better, the graphics more astounding. Fun being had rotating a 'knob' on a radio app, the camera interface, to the notepad app. The phone literally became whatever device you wanted via the apps. I then got into the iPad and started later dabbling on the 2012 Samsung Galaxy Tabs.

When iOS 7 initially made me think something went wrong and my iPhone (I had upgraded to a 4 then, and spent quite a lot in the App store/iTunes) and iPad had somehow gone into a limited graphics safe mode, when finding out that's how it's supposed to look, and was told in forums to 'get used to it' I then jumped ship to Samsung. The Galaxy S3, later S4, a Note 2, Note 3, and so on. Samsung was at 2013-14 the only OEM still doing skeuo and their interface, 'Touchwiz Nature UX' just felt so darn perfect to me, being vegan, a nature lover, and admirer of skeuomorphism. I cannot get used to something I hate, perhaps my eyes don't work with flat UI's bright whites, or boring 'let's get down to business, Soldier!' mindset...It's just not fun anymore.

So here I am, with two 2012 Galaxy Tabs, a 10" and 7", a Galaxy S4, Note 2, and waiting for Amazon to deliver a Galaxy S3 and Note 10.1 later this week, with the only currently used Apple devices now being the Apple TVs, and my Mac...

When I jumped from Apple to Android via Samsung, I just started re-buying everything again, from music, to movies, TV shows. So a mixed ecosystem isn't an issue for me. I kind of like it being 'eclectic'.

You'd be surprised how fast and private Android can be sans Google account. I don't even use a Samsung account. I just stick with Amazon. All the APKs from my earlier Android days are saved on a NAS that runs on Linux Server, so I'm not reliant on the Play Store. Battery life is days instead of hours. Google Services are a huge violator of privacy, data usage, and battery life.

filu_

macrumors regular
May 30, 2020
Thanks, you described it very interestingly. Overall, I like an idea like Handoff - accessing your data on any device.

But I got hooked on Apple's "buy, buy, buy" game - I bought an iPad, changed it to a bigger one, bought a keyboard ....

But I decided to be more ZEN - working on the computer, on the couch - rest ;) Dropbox, Evernote - that's enough synchronization for me.

I am fighting with myself now, because iOS is safer (viruses, data leaks) than Android after all. Many friends use the iPhone, including my wife. But why does iTunes want to convert my music on the desktop?

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I wouldn't know. I've been downloading MP3s originally from BearShare/Napster, to moving to Amazon MP3/Music more recently, so all those songs have resided on my server for who knows how long? I never have to lose any of them, I just open ES File Explorer 3.0 (last version without ads/malware), point to my NAS, and transfer whatever I want locally, via Intranet (local wifi-to-wifi--my server has no DNS address, so it can't go online, just works within my wifi)

The versions of Android I have active now range from 2.3 Gingerbread (my favorite, truly a wild time!) to Jelly Bean to Kitkat (Galaxy S4/Note 2/S5). I don't update anything. The old apps, Amazon apps included, work perfectly fine. They certainly look nicer. No ads, no AdChoices, etc.

I haven't been hacked yet, but to be on the safe side, I do pay for anti-virus/ID Monitoring, so if anything were amiss, I get emails about whatever is leaked. I set up two-factor auth on pretty much every online account. The key is not really worrying about older software being bad, it's being smart. Today, too many apps and UIs try too hard to protect me from myself, and seem intended for stupid illiterate types. I call it 'nagware' especially modern Samsungs constantly telling me an app is using my location (duh! it's the stinking weather widget!) or that apps I'm still using had to be stopped to 'conserve power' (um, this is Android?! You know, the OS of choice? How about me deciding whether an app needs to be shut down! Unused RAM is Wasted RAM!!!)

Modern UI and modern devices are all too big, not targeting people like me, and certainly are not for me. Nothing they do is interesting to me, and many have less features than my Galaxy S4. I got accused all the time on Android Forums, to even this one, about 'living in the past holding everyone back' but I'm not holding anyone back. I just can't use something I hate. It is that simple. Not everyone fits the new flat UI huge brick phone mindset or the mindset of replacing a perfectly good device with something new because it's 2 years old. Maybe I'm getting old? I still keep all my songs in my pocket, and I prefer my devices small enough to hold in one hand, and think of tablets as media consumption devices, not laptop replacements.

Unlike many though, I don't just complain, I do something about it. Hence me buying all the old Samsung stuff from Amazon for like 1/8 the costs they were new. At least everything I own is paid for.

Reactions: alex cochez

filu_

macrumors regular
May 30, 2020
I agree on several points:
- I also prefer to have my files at home, locally, available on my wifi;
- I listened to my music from CDs, I want it on my computer and phone, but offline;
- a tablet for content consumption, unless you are an illustrator;
- the equipment should work as long as possible, as long as it does its job well - here I make a reservation that I use banking applications on the phone quite intensively, so a quite old phone will not work;
- I also like nature :)

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I use the Amex Serve app to keep track of my debit card, which is the extent of any online banking I even do. That app is fully compatible with Android 4.4 on my Galaxy S4.

I hold onto stuff until it breaks, and by breaks, I mean let out the magic smoke breaks. I still know how to use a soldering iron and multimeter, and have to in my job, which is getting increasingly complex given even modern golf cars have drive-by-wire systems.

Most people who buy an old device, usually to put a youtube video of them doing an 'old smartphone' challenge make the mistake many do--they try updating every preinstalled app, and then complain about how slow the device is.

I got my two Galaxy Tabs last week. I went through setup, skipped adding Google and Samsung accounts, and logged into the preinstalled Kindle app after connecting to wifi. Never updated anything. Disabled auto-update. Still works, as fast and fluid as it was in 2012. The key is not going too far or beyond the specs of your hardware. Just like Windows 98 won't run very well on a 486 with 8MB of RAM, you won't enjoy a Galaxy SII running the modern version of ANY app.

That's a reason I never complained about Android lacking updates beyond 2 years. I have seen what 5 years of support did to my iPhone 4 when iOS 7 rendered it a laggy ugly looking brick. Won't be fooled again.

Older article about the Nature UX skin, which is still my favorite, even in 2020

BTW, before I got into smartphones, my favorite device was a Nokia 5185i, still usable in 2008 via Page Plus Cellular and me knowing how to hack the NAM programming to make it work. I had tried then to use color screen camera flip phones but never liked them and kept going back to my Nokia, as I had learned the UI and every feature and it just worked for me. Now, that favorite is Touchwiz, and until something better comes along to win me over, I stick to what I like. I doubt I'll remain in the past forever, but who knows?

Last edited:

filu_

macrumors regular
May 30, 2020
I used Nokia E50 for a long time (as a car navigation, with an external GPS module), then the E72 for a short time - I liked it but it did not fit in the forest;) I changed it to Samsung Solid aka GT-B2710. I even used tourist navigation on it.

Then came the era of smartphones - Nokia Lumia, Samsung Xcover 2 (made me traumatized by this manufacturer) ... I also had a BlackBerry Z 10 and honestly I miss a phone like old Nokia or BB - which does 3 things but does them great, and the store does not attack you with game ads ... Unfortunately, there is no need for such a model;)

Google Nexus didn't convince me and I was done with iPhones - first I got a used 5S, then I bought a new SE, now I have a used iP8. I also experienced the "blessings" of Apple updates for old phones or complete duds like iOS 11 ...

Now I feel more and more embarrassed about Apple's "only true model" in which iDevices are used to make purchases in the App Store and your music on your computer is suspect. Ok, we will let you copy it with all your labor pains to your iPhone / iPad via iTunes, but absolutely not the other way around.

I like the new Sony Xperia 5 II. I have never had a phone from this company, it looks nice and solid, but the phone department itself is barely dragging and buying a device with such a crazy price I would not want to be left without any support.

For sure, the Android phone will communicate with my computer without any problems, I tried it with the Huawei P30 - this simplicity is beautiful, but because it is not behind the "golden cage" philosophy.

Greetings!

PS.

I tried to resurrect the old Xcover 1, the battery needed to be replaced but our local e-buy counterpart was able to buy a replacement.

Unfortunately, I damaged the SIM card slot because I had to use a card adapter to turn the nanoSIM card into a full-size one - all this construction fell apart and stuck in the socket. The priority was to mine my SIM card, so at the expense of the phone ...

And it could also serve as ... a telephone ...

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Sony's phones used to be fun looking way back when. We had devices such as the Xperia Pureness (2009, transparent LCD display) to the Xperia Play, with its in-built PlayStation controller that lit up and everything, excellent for early PS1 emulation.

I sadly arrived late a couple years back I got an Xperia L2, and it was just boring. It had some old XMB sound effects (the XCross Media Bar from the PlayStation 3) but it was an utter flat, boring UI, hindered by a lousy, outdated MediaTek processor. It also was a bezel nightmare, and I say this knowing my S3, S4, S5, and Note 2 all have bezels, but at least it is being used to house the two capacitive keys and home button, unlike the L2, which is just gone to waste.

I remember the E-series. They seemed like the typical early-noughts smartphones to me, and a reason I considered them a fad. At that time, the idea of a phone doing the job of a computer made no sense to me. It was like being far overengineered and doing something it was never intended to, such as a camera acting as a tablet (the Samsung Galaxy Camera, yes, that happened). But once the iPhone 3GS was in my hands, that all changed. Now I'm still as enamoured by the early Samsung smartphones (oh the joys of those bootup musics) as I was with my first Mac.

Samsung phones have a 'boot success' animation and music like a Mac has a chime, and those nuances always made me happy. Still do. I should say they had since after the S6, the Samsung phones not only got rid of Nature UX entirely, but the boot music is gone. A very excellent one was from the SII, which sadly is too outdated for me to use, being a 3G phone in an era with 3G slowly being phased out:

There's just nothing much better than rebooting or powering your device on to hear that music.

Then there's the 2010-era wild wild west of phones with pretty much all walks of live covered. Want a tiny phone? we got you covered with the Galaxy SII, want a huge brick? Take note, well, Galaxy Note! Want a keyboard? which kind? slider? flip? how about permanent? Got ya covered! Want to play games while on the go? Here's the Xperia Play!

I miss phones being fun and making me want to buy more of 'em. That really kinda stopped after the iPhone X came out. Now they're all just boring slabs of huge glass with very washed out displays. I miss the T-Mobile Sidekick, wish I had experienced that when it worked. I never got to enjoy the Samsung Captivate, or the Motorola Aura. All very unique, like myself.

My first Samsung phone I will remember fondly. It was the SGH-x427, an early Cingular phone, and perhaps the only one I loved over the Nokia 5185i. It had what seemed the early underpinnings of the later Galaxy phones with a Nature-themed UX, complete with animated butterfly wallpaper, open/close nature sounds (I bought an open sound of the Star Trek communicator from Cingular for it), and one heck of a neat 80s-style ringtone titled 'the sound of Spring'. It ended up being so easy to forget it was in your pocket that I ended up forgetting it was there one day and it went through a wash cycle and died. I had only had it a month. My grandmom had one also, she pretty much used it all the way to 2014, when AT&T shut down GPRS she was forced to get a smartphone, also a Galaxy S4, but she can't figure out how to unlock the thing and I always have to help her. She forgets about it all the time, and the battery spends most of its time dead.

Last edited:

filu_

macrumors regular
May 30, 2020
Samsung undoubtedly has its own style. But I am traumatized by the only model I had - it was outdated on launch day, and my phone had some additional GPS problem - unacceptable for me. Plus a nasty interface, especially child-drawn character icons in contacts ... Yuck :)

I remember from that period that Samsung blocked the possibility of free software modification (Kies?). It also uses (like many others) its own applications and tries to pretend to be Apple - and I just want to connect the phone to my computer without any software that I won't install on Linux anyway.

I also never understood why Android is a mess - why do I need a mail from Google and Samsung? Why do I need Chrome and the Huawei browser? I will install Firefox anyway and I can't remove all that bloatware out of the box ....

On the other hand, my mother got the S7 Edge a few years ago, which my brother got bored. Sometimes I help her with something, the lack of TouchID annoys me, but I have to admit that the phone works quite well.

All that Chinese call rate .... Well, let her keep running, trying to catch up with Apple. Sony seems to go its own way, although it may be a road nowhere ....

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Personally I love the Samsung Nature UX interface (I always have photos for contacts but I prefer square contact photos--why make them circular now?) and the Samsung apps to me were added choice. Linux was always about choice right? The Samsung apps didn't change every other week like Google's and offered a ton more features, such as the email app having custom sync scheduling, or conversation view as an option. The Samsung Messages app has custom themes or did, it could have a background or bubble style of choice. While outdated now, back then, S-Voice could do things in 2012 that Google Now claimed was unsupported, such as toggle wifi or bluetooth.

I never liked stock Android. Too basic, I would always spend so much time finding third party alternatives to make up for what was missing and then said 'why? I already have that on my Samsung!' I also prefer having apps baked in, as it avoided me having to use Play Store, which was NEVER a proper store. When Google killed Android Market, it was unforgivable. Also, most apps built in I use, such as the Amazon suite, Polaris Office for PDF viewing, and the Samsung apps. I also preferred the way Samsung clinged hard to the Gingerbread (Android 2.3) aesthetic, as that was my favorite Android version when I still considered Android a toy when I had a 3GS. I never liked stock Holo UI from stock Android/Nexus. It was too....BLUE!!! Unfortunately, it's too...WHITE!! today. Modern Android is copying Apple hard with rounded corner UI dialogues and all the dumbing down, and protecting users from themselves, then going even farther in insulting Android enthusiasts by killing the point of root by using SafetyNet, which makes many useful apps stop working if you root.

I think you are referring to Knox, released in 4.4 Kitkat to Samsung phones. It didn't kill root, but it made a phone show as permanently modified and you couldn't return to stock or have official updates anymore. From then on, it was either stuck on one version of Touchwiz, or custom ROMs. Kies stopped being a thing in Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.3). Kies was replaced with ODIN, and both were PC firmware flash utilities.

filu_

macrumors regular
May 30, 2020
Yes, you are right, I mixed up Knox and Kies.

I don't like the fact that on Android with some overlays you have 2 apps for the same and they cannot be deleted. What I like about Linux offends me on Android :)

On the other hand - Apple Maps and Music suck, and you can't throw them away, only install your own applications.

Bare Android is also not that good, as long as there are no certain solutions implemented in the system - when I had Nexus 5 (after Nokia Lumia) I missed the "Car Profile". Today such things are probably in the "Out of the box" system ...

But probably enough about it - life is an art of compromise and you can't have everything :D

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
True, although I don't have to compromise anymore, I have exactly what I want, the way I prefer, with the UI I desire. Odd time when a downgrade or rather, multiple downgrades feel more like upgrades.

filu_

macrumors regular
May 30, 2020
I think that's how marketing works - first there is a race in a category, usually - "more = better", then there is the finish line, or rather a wall, so another race begins ...

Do you remember the times before smartphones, when "regular" phones were getting smaller and smaller? I still have a Nokia 1200 - not much bigger than a matchbox. Then there was a race to add gadgets but also to reduce the size of phones ;)

In addition, there is a category of people who have specific requirements and know that even the best multitool has no chance with normal tools ;) Unfortunately, this category is wronged on the phone market after the real Nokia or BB died. I wish Maps in iOS were much better (in my country they work terrible) but I don't need Memoji, Animoji or games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.