Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Of course I remember the pre-smartphone era. My favorite before smartphones came into my life was a Nokia 5185i. I kept that one alive well into 2008--only by then the battery only lasted an hour, and maybe a few minutes for a call. My boss got tired of me missing calls due to dead battery (which by then was duct-taped to the phone after quite a few drops--I didn't take as good of care of stuff then and a pet deer nibbled the antenna off!) so he handed my an iPhone 3GS in 2010 and that was it. I used to know every single menu shortcut by number too. Also had tons of those front covers too.

Thing I miss still about that phone was it got a signal everywhere. It was a BRICK. It also had a flat UI design too. But it was a 1998 phone, after all.

nokia-5185i-1.jpg

I just added another Samsung to my collection, the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Relay 4G. I've wanted a slider like forever. Now I got one! Works with Walmart Mobile too.

Reactions: filu_

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I’ve always been mixed. I grew up on Windows, when smartphones came out I had Android, (we couldn’t have gotten iPhones even if we wanted to due to it being limited to only AT&T). My first Mac was an iMac G3, the same year as the first Intel Macs came out. Aside from that I had an AMD AthlonXP PC, running Windows XP.

To this day I use both, however I cannot stand Windows 10. I find macOS as the lesser evil, though. It is no where near as good as it used to be. At least it isn’t filled with bloatware and all the issues Windows 10 usually has. I loved 7, and the only reason I don’t use it now is because a lot of new games are requiring 10.
I use my Mac Pro 5,1 for gaming, under Windows 10. It only gets booted into that for games.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I’ve always been mixed. I grew up on Windows, when smartphones came out I had Android, (we couldn’t have gotten iPhones even if we wanted to due to it being limited to only AT&T). My first Mac was an iMac G3, the same year as the first Intel Macs came out. Aside from that I had an AMD AthlonXP PC, running Windows XP.

To this day I use both, however I cannot stand Windows 10. I find macOS as the lesser evil, though. It is no where near as good as it used to be. At least it isn’t filled with bloatware and all the issues Windows 10 usually has. I loved 7, and the only reason I don’t use it now is because a lot of new games are requiring 10.
I use my Mac Pro 5,1 for gaming, under Windows 10. It only gets booted into that for games.

I've made modifications to Windows 10 to make it easier for me to use. My current plans are to use Windows on the desktop driving three monitors and VNC into a Mac so I can run Mac Apps on the Windows desktop. If that doesn't work out, then I'll try a Mac Pro.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I made modifications too to Windows 10, to where it can't update itself, removed Cortana, and made it look almost indistinguishable from Windows 7.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I've made modifications to Windows 10 to make it easier for me to use. My current plans are to use Windows on the desktop driving three monitors and VNC into a Mac so I can run Mac Apps on the Windows desktop. If that doesn't work out, then I'll try a Mac Pro.
I’ve done a lot to it, too. But it still isn’t Windows 7.
I made modifications too to Windows 10, to where it can't update itself, removed Cortana, and made it look almost indistinguishable from Windows 7.
I have start10 installed, and used a Windows 7 start orb. So there’s that. However I cannot for the life of me get the aero glass mod to work, so I’m stuck with the ugly flatness.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I got it to work, but only for the start bar itself, not in apps. I also couldn't modify the flat window controls (Maximize, minimize, or close) to look like Windows 7 either. There are limits, but the best I could do to make it more convincing is by using older apps from that era, since Windows 10, unlike Mac OS, has 32-bit support to this day. I really never understood why Apple pulled that ability given it wasn't costing anyone anything. Better to keep people on MacOS and make Apple money than give them yet another reason to jump ship to Windows, am I right?

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Windows 10, unlike Mac OS, has 32-bit support to this day. I really never understood why Apple pulled that ability
Preparation for Apple Silicon. Purge the OS of 32-bit "legacy" apps, get everything ready for 64-bit Big Sur and the upcoming AS chips. Probably why they canned OpenCL to replace with Metal, too.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Preparation for Apple Silicon. Purge the OS of 32-bit "legacy" apps, get everything ready for 64-bit Big Sur and the upcoming AS chips. Probably why they canned OpenCL to replace with Metal, too.

It makes life easier for developers too. Developers need special case code for multiple environments and they have to double their testing load, both nightly regression and beta. Let's say you're regression tests have 10,000 suites and you need a few thousand systems to turn them around every night. You can save a lot of computing resources by dropping a port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.