Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I guess yay for Roku?

As long as I can still watch games on Sundays via the MLB.TV app, I got no bones with this.
At least it's free. NBC required you to sign up for Peacock last year.

But streaming MLB games is a mess. I have YouTube TV, so my only options are to buy MLB.TV and use a VPN because of blackout restrictions, or pay $25/month to sign up for Yes Network's direct streaming app. I'd rather pay $60/month to buy the cheapest seat in the ballpark for all the home games, $25/month to watch one team on TV is ridiculous

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
At least it's free. NBC required you to sign up for Peacock last year.

But streaming MLB games is a mess. I have YouTube TV, so my only options are to buy MLB.TV and use a VPN because of blackout restrictions, or pay $25/month to sign up for Yes Network's direct streaming app. I'd rather pay $60/month to buy the cheapest seat in the ballpark for all the home games, $25/month to watch one team on TV is ridiculous
Youre not wrong that streaming MLB is a mess. In fact, it's a Fuster Cluck. I will say though that one of the perks of having T-Mobile is their season long free streaming package. The only thing I've "paid" for is the ExpressVPN app that allows me to watch Mariner games on my Apple TV.

The TV rights for the respective teams is such an outdated model that it eventually would have to come crashing down and the Bally Sports deal is the first real example of that. Hopefully the blackouts are the next domino to fall but in the meantime, using a VPN is the best way to get around them.

Reactions: dannyyankou

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Youre not wrong that streaming MLB is a mess. In fact, it's a Fuster Cluck. I will say though that one of the perks of having T-Mobile is their season long free streaming package. The only thing I've "paid" for is the ExpressVPN app that allows me to watch Mariner games on my Apple TV.

The TV rights for the respective teams is such an outdated model that it eventually would have to come crashing down and the Bally Sports deal is the first real example of that. Hopefully the blackouts are the next domino to fall but in the meantime, using a VPN is the best way to get around them.
That's the only thing I miss from Tmobile.

But I switched to Verizon and got something better. They have something called "super tickets" you can try to claim, and I got 2 free NY Rangers tickets with a $200 merch voucher, tour of MSG, free food and liquor, and a meet and greet with Stephane Matteau. Only downside is you can only win one super ticket every 6 months, but they're surprisingly easy to claim.

Reactions: jeremz1ne

jeremz1ne

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Reno,Nv
Streaming sports right now is a mess, ill never understand why we have all this "4k" stuff and nothing is streamed or even broadcasted in 4k yet, how long has 4k been around? but we pay for "HD" and half the time it doesn't even look "HD"

Reactions: Don Quixote

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I stream MLB.tv through my Apple TV. It works alright. My "universal" remote for the Apple TV does a better job than Apple's remote, and the icons-on-the-screen approach leaves something to be desired, but those are the only gripes I have. Using my satellite remote with the TV is much better, and navigating around is easier.

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
Streaming sports right now is a mess, ill never understand why we have all this "4k" stuff and nothing is streamed or even broadcasted in 4k yet, how long has 4k been around? but we pay for "HD" and half the time it doesn't even look "HD"
Because "4K" is a marketing trigger word that makes people salivate at the idea that their content will look absolutely amazing on their screen without realizing that their movie, tv show or sports event is recorded or broadcast in barely 1080P.

My wife works at Best Buy and she's told me horror stories about how the sales people will sell "8K" TV's and that it's a guarantee that what you see on the screen will be in 8K resolution. What the gullible sap who is buying the TV doesn't understand (or care to know) is that those 8K TV's more often than not will upscale whatever is on the screen so it will be in "8k resolution" but will look pixelated as hell because the content wasn't shot/recorded in 8K.

Reactions: jeremz1ne

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Because "4K" is a marketing trigger word that makes people salivate at the idea that their content will look absolutely amazing on their screen without realizing that their movie, tv show or sports event is recorded or broadcast in barely 1080P.

Do you remember the rollout of HD when all these people had HDTV's but were watching SD content on them and had no clue.

And I can't tell the difference between 4K and HD on my 85"Sony.

Reactions: Don Quixote

jeremz1ne

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Reno,Nv

My wife works at Best Buy and she's told me horror stories about how the sales people will sell "8K" TV's and that it's a guarantee that what you see on the screen will be in 8K resolution. What the gullible sap who is buying the TV doesn't understand (or care to know) is that those 8K TV's more often than not will upscale whatever is on the screen so it will be in "8k resolution" but will look pixelated as hell because the content wasn't shot/recorded in 8K.
Id never buy an 8k lol i got a 92" 4k i get alot of pixel images on my tv, thats why i was venting lol an i love how Bestbuy has the greatest video on display on soccer/hockey etc but when you get it home looks nothing like that, i do know its all a video recorded thing they send out and crap but yeah

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Everything has been clicking for the Yankees lately. Great offense, really good starting pitching, and outstanding bullpen. And first to 30 wins in the AL.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
i

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
Pirates rookie Paul Skenes throws no-hitter into the 6th inning until the bullpen blows it...

• Haha
Reactions: pachyderm

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Pirates rookie Paul Skenes throws no-hitter into the 6th inning until the bullpen blows it...

The new era - guys with no hitters get yanked :(

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Every starter in the Yankees has an ERA of 3.56 or lower, and one of them has to leave the rotation to make room for Gerrit Cole's return. Excellent problem to have.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Yankees last 5 starts-

Rodon: 6.0 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 6 K
Stroman: 6.0 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 2 K
Schmidt: 8.0 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 8 K
Cortes: 7.0 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K
Gil: 6.0 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 14 K

All without the reigning Cy Young. And the rotation was supposedly a weakness before the season started.

• Wow

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I'm just glad the Rangers are one step closer to the Stanley Cup. No one cares about the President's Trophy if you don't go all the way.
I have no idea who is even left now. I know the Bruins are out...

Giants on a 3 game win streak!

Matos and Ramos are hot... finally ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.