Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nlr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2010
London
Whats your thoughts and opinion?

Whats better MobileMe or Gmail and why?

nlr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2010
London
Google has alot of cloud services which are free like (word processing etc) and gmail offers alot of space too..

I guess @me is better though :apple::apple::apple::apple:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Whats your thoughts and opinion?

Whats better MobileMe or Gmail and why?

What services will you be using? If you ONLY want e-mail, GMail will work great and there is no reason to pay for MM just for e-mail. But if you want to use sync services and such, MM is much better for that.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
Setting the cost factor aside I still prefer my @mac.com email address simply for the strait forward compatibility with mail clients such as the one on the iPhone.

I got tired of dealing with the crazy IMAP implementations from Gmail and basically being forced to use the web interface to take advantage of Gmails features properly.

Would I pay for my @mac.com if that's all I was going to use? Nope. But since I have an iMac, MBP and an iPhone...and am looking at an iPad, the syncing offered is wonderful.

spectre51

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
Setting the cost factor aside I still prefer my @mac.com email address simply for the strait forward compatibility with mail clients such as the one on the iPhone.

I got tired of dealing with the crazy IMAP implementations from Gmail and basically being forced to use the web interface to take advantage of Gmails features properly.

Would I pay for my @mac.com if that's all I was going to use? Nope. But since I have an iMac, MBP and an iPhone...and am looking at an iPad, the syncing offered is wonderful.

I agree. For simplicity sake with my iPhone and iPad I love mobileme more than gmail.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Your comment has me confused.

Curious. What IMAP features on Gmail can't you do with Mail on the Phone?

gescom

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Yeah, it comes down to the value you receive from the features MM has vs GM. If you want the extras that MM has then it is worth the moolah. Otherwise if this is a side by side on email then I would say hands down save your $99 and go with gmail.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
push email, push contacts, push calendars on gmail
it matches or betters mobile me whichever way you cut it.
only reason to pay for MM is for the find my phone feature!

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Find my iPhone + wireless cloud syncing of contacts, calendars make the MobileMe worth for me. Also its integration with the AppleTV allows mw to subscribe to albums and see them updated without the need to sync.

spectre51

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
push email, push contacts, push calendars on gmail
it matches or betters mobile me whichever way you cut it.
only reason to pay for MM is for the find my phone feature!

Too bad the junk mail folder isn't supported on the idevices. That's one reason I don't use it save for the web app.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
Too bad the junk mail folder isn't supported on the idevices. That's one reason I don't use it save for the web app.

yes it is (it works like it would on any IMAP client),
if you have a junk email in your inbox you 'move' it to the junk mail folder and it is marked as spam (exactly like clicking 'mark as junk' on the web interface)

if you have a not junk mail in your junk mail folder then you simply move it to either 'inbox' or 'all mail' (the exact same as clicking 'not junk' on the computer)

see the junk mail (spam)shows up like this:

photo.jpg

gb7

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2010
Portland, OR
I find MM's push email to be more reliable than gmail's. ymmv. Before I got MM I had to switch gmail back to imap on my iPhone because of its issues.

Gmails calendar is better than the MM web calendar. I am on a Windows computer so I dont have iCal.

Contacts is a wash. Find my iPhone is pretty cool.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Probably my favorite thing is the simple email address, @me.com
No having to type gmail.com/googlemail.com/hotmail.com/yahoo.com

Just me.com.

I do wish it was a bit quicker though, GoogleMail is super quick for webmail. MobileMe... not.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I tried using gmails calenders and Ical but I found ical did not work well with alarms and really limited the way alerts were done. gmail lets me use emails or texts or notifications. also gmail lets you use other email clients. your not just stuck with mail and outlook.
I use mail notifier in staid of push for gmail it does not effect the battery.
the biggest thing that has stopped me from using mobleme is that it does not work well with windows.
so if you want to use something besides safari and ie mail and outlook your sol. kind of reminds me of what ms did years ago no choices.
I do use mail at home though I did not find it better then thunderbird but it is better integrated with the mac. but I would never use outlook for mail or ie for web browsing.

ingricky

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
If you only have one Apple device (be Mac, iPhone, iPad) then I would do some cost/benefit analysis. On the other hand if you have more than one Apple device then the tight integration that MobileMe offers is quite nice to have.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
If you only have one Apple device (be Mac, iPhone, iPad) then I would do some cost/benefit analysis. On the other hand if you have more than one Apple device then the tight integration that MobileMe offers is quite nice to have.

only if you use the default apps. this has kept me from using it. I would have bought it if apple let some flex in. But I don't want to be limited to what apps I can use. if google and ms can do it I am sure apple can

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
I'm debating the same. I've considered paying for MobileMe, but I've been a gmail user since inception.

But there's something appealing about contact syncing, and calendar syncing with my laptop (MBP).

But, paying 100 bucks a year for push seems outrageous to me, given that gmail works so well. And the fact that I'm so google dependent now, I'm worried to make the switch! I mean, my google account links my Youtube, Mail, Online documents...

Hmmmmmm...

mynewromantica

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2009
I'm debating the same. I've considered paying for MobileMe, but I've been a gmail user since inception.

But there's something appealing about contact syncing, and calendar syncing with my laptop (MBP).

But, paying 100 bucks a year for push seems outrageous to me, given that gmail works so well. And the fact that I'm so google dependent now, I'm worried to make the switch! I mean, my google account links my Youtube, Mail, Online documents...

Hmmmmmm...

Gmail can sync your contacts and calendars to iCal and Address Book.

http://www.google.com/sync/mac.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.