Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I'll probably switch to google apps (for custom domain name) as soon as Google Sync doesn't suck

The push email is hopeless ... can take hours to get through sometimes whereas mobileme (for me) has never missed a beat

Google also seems to mangle the contacts somewhat when i tried importing into gmail contacts from Mail.app on mac

Spent too much time on them to have them mangled

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Paid service over free service any day.

Paid service = someone is accountable to your $$

Free service = they can do what they want, and if it goes down for a while they answer to no one.

MobileMe all the way.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009

Free service = they can do what they want, and if it goes down for a while they answer to no one.

MobileMe all the way.

the T&Cs (which you accept by signing up for the sercive) state that they can take the service down at anytime and that if they loose all your info then it's not their fault

from T&Cs:
You are responsible for backing up, to your own computer or other device, any important documents, images or other Content that you store or access via the Service. Apple does not guarantee or warrant that any Content you may store or access through the Service will not be subject to inadvertent damage, corruption or loss

and

YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK AND THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS

You acknowledge that you are responsible for all use of the Service using your account, including any use by Sub-accounts

so yeah accountable my ass, I'd rather save my money for the same or better sercive

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008

MobileMe all the way.

In addition to androiphone, I'd say Google has it in their very best interest to provide great service.

Google survives off of advertisements. Poor google service = less visitors = less lucrative ad deals.

So I'd say, if anything, Google needs to work harder than apple to keep people coming back. Without hits everyday, Google really has nothing to fall back on!

I'm actually curious: Does Android cost anything to the device manufacturers?? Or is it another outlet for getting more people to use Google services?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Gmail Labels

I don't like the way Gmail uses Labels instead of "true" Folders. I understand why some like Labels but for me I prefer Folders.

Not sure but I think this is the reason others were complaining about Gmail IMAP. That would be my reason for complaining about IMAP.

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
I don't like the way Gmail uses Labels instead of "true" Folders. I understand why some like Labels but for me I prefer Folders.

Not sure but I think this is the reason others were complaining about Gmail IMAP. That would be my reason for complaining about IMAP.

I'm pretty sure the labels can be treated like folders... At least I do with the Mail.app...

And you can Drag email messages from your inbox onto the Label... which will then keep it in that "Label" folder.

So, it kind of works both ways. You can flag a message in your inbox with a Label, or you can drag a message in your inbox into the specified Label folder.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I'm pretty sure the labels can be treated like folders... At least I do with the Mail.app...
And you can Drag email messages from your inbox onto the Label... which will then keep it in that "Label" folder.
So, it kind of works both ways. You can flag a message in your inbox with a Label, or you can drag a message in your inbox into the specified Label folder.
The problem is they are "like" folders but not "real" folders. So when you access via IMAP things work different for different clients.

Example: Sometimes when you delete an email it just removes the label instead of actually removing the email message. If you could control how all of this works per client then maybe there would be an advantage. In my case if I delete an email I want it to be deleted from everywhere. I do not want a copy of my email in the InBox and in another folder and also in All Mail Folder (these folders are all labels).

This is what I meant by, I would prefer "real" folders and use Labels more like "smart/search" folders. Again, this is just my personal preference.

calb

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
UK
It's very much a preference thing based on how many of the MobileMe components you will actually use. I don't like how Google Calendar syncs with iCal, so that's just one reason I bought Apple's offering.

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
UK
Well I'm a Mac user but just have the one - I don't have any other Apple devices as such apart from an iPod classic and an Airport Extreme base station.

I find that Gmail works really well with the OS X Address book and my HTC Hero (and it syncs in the background automatically on both the phone and the mac). I use IMAP and have been very happy, just as I have with google docs and googles' other offerings all for no cost. I also use the google calendar sync feature in ical and it talks to my phones calendar quite happily and I get sent Agendas to my Hero each morning.

All in all, it works pretty well for me but then again if I had more Apple internet devices I would consider having me.com but then again it's another change of email address and that's a pain to change when I have so many contacts in my Gmail...
:cool:

whynot83706

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

MobileMe all the way.

Apple MobileMe service is less reliable than Gmail, by far. So your “Paid service over free service any day, ”makes no sense.

These are some features that I use.

:D Price: Gmail is free; you can’t go wrong especially if you get everything you want/need from Gmail or any other free service.
Price: MobileMe is $99 for a single user and $149 for family account. Although, you can get it cheaper if you buy it of eBay or with new product.

Email Address: It may be harder to get Email address you want (first/last name) since many of them have been already taken.
:apple: Email Address: You have better case to get email address you want. But it may not be true if you have name like JoeWhite@me.com or something like that.

:D Email Space: 7.4GB, this should be enough space for most users.
Web Album: 1GB.
Docs: 1GB, I love Google Docs. All of my old school papers, presentations, spreadsheets are there and I still have plenty of space to spare.
You can purchase additional storage that is shared between products Google 20 GB - $5/yr, 80 GB - $20/yr, 200 GB - $50/yr.
Space: An Individual subscription comes with 20GB of combined email and file storage and with family pack individual account gets 20GB of combined email and file storage, plus four family accounts, each with its own email address and 5GB of storage.
You can purchase additional storage.

:D Speed: By far, Google is way faster. If you are going to access your Gmail through your browser Google is a Ferrari.
Speed: Accessing MobileMe through you browser is just slow, it will do the job but it is simply slow.

:D Docs Edit/Sharing: You can add/share/edit your docs from the same window and that’s why I think Google Docs are better.
Docs Sharing: It is done through iWorks.com; it looks better but you can do more with Google Docs.

Web Albums: Picasa Web Album is way faster than MobileMe.
Web Albums: MobileMe album looks better, but it is much slower.

:D Email Rules: Google rules are more robust, you have more options to create rules you want.
Email Rules: MobileMe recently introduced rules and they work ok.

:D Labels: I love labels; they are color coded and very practical.
Labels: No labels :mad:.

Chat: You can chat with other Gmail contacts and it can be done from the browser or desktop application.
Chat: You need desktop application.

:D Labs: They are very useful. They have some great Email or Calendar features which I constantly use. I do like their IMAP filter.
Labs: Its Apple, so they like to control everything.

Contacts: Part of the Gmail, it servers the purpose but nothing special.
:apple: Contacts: I like that you can sync it with your iPad, iPhone or Mac. Integration for Apple devices is better than Gmail.

Calendar: I like Gmail calendar, if you use it online it looks/works great. You can even set up email notification. When you integrate it with your iCal you will loose some notification features when creating meeting from iCal but overall its works good.
:apple: Calendar: Like contacts I like it little better due to integration with Apple products.

Themes: Some will like it Pink and some will like it Blue and some don’t care.
Themes: I am not saying that online MobileMe does not look good, here you just don’t have an option. But I dont see this big deal at all.

Desktop: If you use it in Mail, Outlook or some other client you will loose all those great features that you have online.
Desktop: I would say that here both Gmail and MobileMe are on the equal playing field.

:D Summary: Gmail is great free service, when used online I like it much more than MobileMe or any other online email service. However, due to having iPhone, iPad and Mac I use MobileMe for my contacts, calendar and secondary email.
:apple: Summary: Integration with Apple product is better. I like “Find my iPhone” service it provides.

:D Google E-Mail Sync: I had no problems with syncing Gmail to any of my devices.
:apple: Mobile E-mail Sync: Works fine.

iDisk: none
iDisk: file share (shared).

hakuryuu

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Lomita, CA
I prefer MobileMe for the sync services alone but if I only cared about email then gmail is without a doubt just fine. Not going to pay for email if I can get it free. If Apple would make iWork.com part of Mobile me then you would have a winner as long as it handles MS Office docs as well as Google Docs.

M3iTelecom

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
I use MobileMe. Have for two years now, ever since it was first introduced. Overall, I’m quite satisfied with the service, especially now that you can synchronize your contacts, email and calendars for free and get push email using Gmail. But one thing I’ve never felt very comfortable using is the web-based Mail application.

In fact, I much prefer the interface on my iPhone, and that of the iPad Mail application is better still. Which is why it’s great to see Apple release a new beta version of MobileMe’s web mail app that borrows heavily from its cousin on the iPad.

tuna

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
I use both gmail (and other google services) and mobileme, here are my impressions:

EMAIL
I never touch my @me.com email address. Its insane. Unless I continue to pay $70 to $100 a year to continue my subscription, I will lose the address. Gmail will always be free, offers over 7GB of storage, and actually has more powerful email options. The clear winner for email is Gmail.

Contacts
I have an iPhone and I have MobileMe... so obviously I use it to push sync my contacts. MobileMe's contacts is better overall anyway, though.

Calendar
Depends... if you are on PC without an iPhone then gmail is probably just as good, but if you're using a Mac and/or iPhone then MobileMe calendars are more compatible with the Apple calendar software.

Then obviously MobileMe comes with stuff that google services don't offer like Find My iPhone (nifty but it won't get a stolen iPhone returned) and storage (very nifty but there are more cost effective options).

Verdict: If you are on PC and don't have an iPhone, then MobileMe is not worth it. If you have a Mac and/or iPhone its worth a longer consideration.

gonzaload1987

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
What about rss, google has google reader and i can use other apps like netnewswire for sync between my mac and mi iphone and also my ipad.

Is there any app similar for MM that it can sync the rss from safari with another apps like google ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.