Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I'm currently experimenting with different methods for my Leopard install with updates/apps.

One thing I'd like to try is modifying the installer itself, so that you can install with the default Leopard installer and use the Setup Assistant. However, I can't figure out how to do this, and the DuckDuckGo search didn't help.

I understand that you have to make a installer package, move it to a packages folder, and then edit a .plist. The only problem I'm having is finding the .plist. Could someone here who has done this please give the location of this plist?

Thanks,
Henry

G4fanboy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Andalucia Spain
I think a Carbon Copy Clonner or Superdupper restore could/should be quicker than an install with all the updates...

It were somehow easy to delete the initial install account and take you to the user account setup as if the computer were new. It were covered here, but cant remember where.

That CCC image can be bigger than the installer DVD. But in can have ALL the updates and apps installed.

Who uses CD to install in 2017? Last time I installed Leopard I made a partition on a drive, restored the DVD installer to the drive and booted to that partition. Installing From HD to HD is way quicker than installing fro CD/DVD to HD. Bottleneck is the CD

G4fanboy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Andalucia Spain
@CooperBox If you download the image from macintosh garden, you skip the step of burning the CD. And the restore to partition thing is more easy on PowerMacs than on Powerbooks/iBooks/iMacs because they allow multiple drives.

I dont want to hijack AmazingHenry post. Just mentioning that an install "disk" could be a CCC image to restore.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
@G4fanboy I intend to just modify a Leopard DVD image and distribute it. The user can choose whether it goes on a flash drive or whatever. I just used the term "disc" to imply that I was modifying a Leopard disc image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.