Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
My Mac Pro 5,1 mid 2010 with 2012 processors has the prerequisite for beta 2 - Metal capable Radeon 7970 and no FileVault.
It rejected me on the installer after downloading it on another system. With this issue you also cannot download. I suspect the card is not seen as valid.

I used the terminal prompt
"sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall" and it worked.

Some issues with iMessage not letting me log in. I will try the old PRAM reset for that.

t8er8

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2017
Quebec, Canada
My Mac Pro 5,1 mid 2010 with 2012 processors has the prerequisite for beta 2 - Metal capable Radeon 7970 and no FileVault.
It rejected me on the installer after downloading it on another system. With this issue you also cannot download. I suspect the card is not seen as valid.

"sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall" and it worked.

Some issues with iMessage not letting me log in. I will try the old PRAM reset for that.
So is it only available to people with 7970’s? Or is that just the one you have

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
So is it only available to people with 7970’s? Or is that just the one you have
That is the one I have. It needs to support Metal.
[doublepost=1529463781][/doublepost]
Not working with my 7950, though it´s metal capable

☹️
Have your tried the command line I mentioned? It fixed it. But do not yet try this your MAIN system. I have this on a 512GB SSD just for betas.
[doublepost=1529463827][/doublepost]

PRAM Reset fixed iMessages. Hopefully it will still work booting back into High Sierra.

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Which one?

This ?

"sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall"

lilins

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2018
Villeurbanne
tried to update my first beta and now it won't boot anymore :)
i think now that he checks video card he doesn't like my vega 64 ^^

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC

Good to hear. I don’t have an eligible Mac I can download with, otherwise I’d give it a go on a testing drive. I’m looking forward to Apple making this available for my 5,1.

Last edited:

eksu

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2017
So you were able to update from MacOS High Sierra to Mojave from within the OS?

Are we able to do a clean install from USB?

lilins

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2018
Villeurbanne
So you were able to update from MacOS High Sierra to Mojave from within the OS?

Are we able to do a clean install from USB?

well, the installer let me do it but I didn't have any display after install :)

so I tried install from scratch on separate drive.

it works well: good news, marzipan apps work on this build!

Capture d’écran 2018-06-20 à 09.57.32.jpg

Reactions: Squuiid

cmonroe

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
2010 Mac Pro 5,1.. similar issues as mentioned above w.r.t. downloading from the app store so I did so from another machine and copied it over. Once copied onto the Mac Pro, I launched the installed and it ran with no issues.. did not have to run startosinstall from the command line.

Normally I run with a Radeon RX580 graphics card (standard PC version).. due to the EFI update included in Mojave I had to put my GTX 680 (Mac Edition) back in during the upgrade process; mainly so the EFI update would complete. Once the update was complete I popped the RX580 back in and all is well. Updated from 10.13.6 Beta 2 -> 10.14 DP2 (18A314h) with no issues.

Note than the EFI update brought me from Boot ROM Version MP51.0084.B00 -> MP51.0085.B00. Currently running dual Xeon X5690s and the CPU microcode version was at 31 before the upgrade and did not change after the upgrade.

So far so good! Still going through my usual apps (had to get the latest betas of LittleSnitch and Carbon Copy Cloner) but no major issues after an hour or so.

Reactions: Squuiid

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Here are my efi version info and also 5.1 2010. I did the install with only my VEGA 64 (blind boot) no issue.

View attachment 767008 View attachment 767009

For the next and last three years of cMP usage, I think about if I should jump ship and sell my 980Ti for a Vega 64 like you have.

Can you tell me how the Vega 64 works for you? Are drivers good, are fan issues gone, in short are you happy with your Vega 64 performance wise ?

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Note than the EFI update brought me from Boot ROM Version MP51.0084.B00 -> MP51.0085.B00. Currently running dual Xeon X5690s and the CPU microcode version was at 31 before the upgrade and did not change after the upgrade.
That's pretty interesting. From that it sounds like Apple have removed the 087 firmware in the latest Mojave Beta and replaced it with the older 085, due to the missing microcode in 087 one would presume!

lilins

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2018
Villeurbanne
For the next and last three years of cMP usage, I think about if I should jump ship and sell my 980Ti for a Vega 64 like you have.

Can you tell me how the Vega 64 works for you? Are drivers good, are fan issues gone, in short are you happy with your Vega 64 performance wise ?

honestly i am happy with it. i don’t have fan issue but i had to mod my pcie fan because i chose the monster Nitro+ from sapphire, and it can’t fit with default fan. you will find some of the pics of it in place. in the amd radeon and pixlas mod thread. on the other hand on this model fan is a breeze :)

on the power side i still need to test an optimized metal game on mac, but well, on the mac side it operates on xp11 better than the 1070 in my previous hackintosh, and on windows side guild wars 2 is almost ultra settings in 4k.

cmonroe

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
That's pretty interesting. From that it sounds like Apple have removed the 087 firmware in the latest Mojave Beta and replaced it with the older 085, due to the missing microcode in 087 one would presume!

Aha! I recall reading another thread in this forum about missing microcode and was a bit weary to upgrade the EFI firmware. So many numbers moving around I just assumed it was 85, not 87. Time to go catch up on the microcode thread now :)

If there's anything else I can provide I'm ore than happy to.
[doublepost=1529493047][/doublepost]
honestly i am happy with it. i don’t have fan issue but i had to mod my pcie fan because i chose the monster Nitro+ from sapphire, and it can’t fit with default fan. you will find some of the pics of it in place. in the amd radeon and pixlas mod thread. on the other hand on this model fan is a breeze :)

on the power side i still need to test an optimized metal game on mac, but well, on the mac side it operates on xp11 better than the 1070 in my previous hackintosh, and on windows side guild wars 2 is almost ultra settings in 4k.

Sounds like you've had great luck with an ATI card like I have, albeit I'm running the RX 580 8GB. Do you have any idea how the RX 580 and your Vega would compare (roughly)? I use my 5,1 heavily with a couple of 4K monitors and it seems to keep up but I don't often game. Are there any desktop level improvements to going with a Vega card over something like the RX 580?

AlexMaximus asked a similar question comparing to the 980Ti which got me thinking. I suspect my RX 580 is plenty for what I need but always curious.. I have all kinds of crazy PCI cards, drives and add-ons in my 5,1 so it's safe to say I'm glued to it for now.

lilins

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2018
Villeurbanne
AlexMaximus asked a similar question comparing to the 980Ti which got me thinking. I suspect my RX 580 is plenty for what I need but always curious.. I have all kinds of crazy PCI cards, drives and add-ons in my 5,1 so it's safe to say I'm glued to it for now.

Honestly my Vega 64 is only for games, for my daily use it is overkill I think :) I have only one 4K monitor but if you know tests or benchmark I could run, I can do :)

If you want we can make a engine valley test to see what difference we have in graphic power between the 2 cards on Mac Open GL :)

Last edited:

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Downloaded the Mojave beta 2 installer on another Mac and ran it from the desktop of my 2010 cMP with RX580.
Installed fine.
Marzipan apps are pretty slow to refresh but other than that all seems to work pretty well for a beta.
Continuity remained in place as did TRIM.
Steam need to get their act together though as their app is still 32bit. macOS gives a warning about it.
uBlock Origin is removed from Safari for supposedly impacting browsing performance.

eksu

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2017
Installed Mojave Beta 2 from USB onto APFS Apple Pro Raid 10.

Running great, little slow while things cache in the background. (EDIT: Real problem was something is slamming the disk writing logs [I think Messages on iCloud], so I disabled spindump).

Dark mode is awesome.

Last edited:

AaronE

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2006
North Carolina
Can I do the EFI update without a native Mac graphics card? I have a GTX 980 and 660, but they aren't flashed for Mac. I don't think my GT120's will work either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.