Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Spirit

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Germany
i installed Mojave via osinstall yesterday.
Config
MacPro 5.1 with 8GB RAM, MX500 500GB SSD and an unflashed HD 7870 iceq Turbo.
Everything runs fine without problems.

SpiderPg

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2018
Cant get Mojave to install, installer says i don't have metal or filevault is on. Tried installing with startosinstall and while it will try and load the installer on reboot the progress bar only makes it a fraction of the way and then the screen goes blank, tried verbose mode and the last things i see before i lose the screen is

Unsupported CPU
Unsupported CPU
Unsupported PCH

4,1 flashed to 5,1 - EFI flashed 7950 - 2x x5650 6Core 2.66ghz which apple shipped on mid2010 so shouldn't be unsupported

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Cant get Mojave to install, installer says i don't have metal or filevault is on. Tried installing with startosinstall and while it will try and load the installer on reboot the progress bar only makes it a fraction of the way and then the screen goes blank, tried verbose mode and the last things i see before i lose the screen is

Unsupported CPU
Unsupported CPU
Unsupported PCH

4,1 flashed to 5,1 - EFI flashed 7950 - 2x x5650 6Core 2.66ghz which apple shipped on mid2010 so shouldn't be unsupported

Weird, what's your MacPro firmware? Mojave needs at least 0085 to work.

SpiderPg

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2018
Weird, what's your MacPro firmware? Mojave needs at least 0085 to work.

Im on 0087. I have added back in the microcode from the older firmware I thought that might be why it was saying the cpu was unsupported but still have the same issue

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
Managed to install Mojave on a 5,1; first wiped the platter drive, formatted and installed High Sierra from latest installer- BootROM updated to 0087. Ran the Mojave PB1 installer using the terminal command. After taking about an hour on a 1 TB 7200 HD, it booted just fine. Using a borrowed GTX 680 Mac Edition card (says so in tiny letters on plastic cowling.)

Metal status is Supported, feature set macOS GPU Family1 v4.

After rebooting and double checking, BootROM under Mojave is still 0087, though..

meanmean

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2016
Virginia, USA
To provide some input:

I made an installable usb stick from the public beta and ran into issues trying to install with a Nvidia 650 GT. Namely, it wouldn't install due to an unsupported GPU.

As a second shot, I did the initial "up-to-1st-reboot" with a 2017 MBP with the MP drive in an enclosure. After this, I finished the install with no issues on the 5,1 (Flashed 4,1) MP with 2x 5680's and the Nvidia 650GT.

I have full metal support GPU Family 1 v4 with BootRom 0084 w/ no issues.
SolarFlare using 10.9+ drivers working without issue, although reads seem a bit slower than usual (650mb/s from NAS) but no issue per iperf3 tests.

slamjack

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
Moscow
Does anybody try how Pulse Radeon RX 580 8gb (natively supported in High Sierra) performs in Mojave? What is FCPX performance? Are there any graphic glitches?

David403

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
USA
No one really knows, it's a mystery for now. That phrase it's the only documentation about this so far - even on Apple Developer.

Yes, just works with 8 lanes from the 16 available. No problem here.

Wrong. 4,1 and 5,1 are the same and have the same PCI 2.0. Only Mac Pros that have PCI 1.0 are the MP1,1 and 2,1 models. RX580 works without problem on 4,1 flashed to 5,1 - it's the same hardware.

Lots of people here, just search on Mac Pro forum.
[doublepost=1531017519][/doublepost]Thanks to several of you out there with advice on an Apple supported graphics card for my Mac Pro 4.1 flashed to 5.1.

In the end I ordered a Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 580 through Amazon - expected delivery was 7 to 10 days as I’m out in Hawaii. It arrived 4 days later but I only had the mini 6 pin to 6 pin power cable from my old AMD HD 5770 card not the 8 pin to mini 6 pin required. It didn’t come with the card. I ordered one with a ETA of another 10 days but it came in just 3 days! Great I thought....

I swapped the card withe the added new cable booted up in to to 10.13.5 and ran a few tests. All working well. Download ed a full copy of beta 2 using @dosdude1 downloaded coped it into the Applications folder as I wouldn’t have had a boot screen to use a usb installer. It started well .... 3 minutes ... select the drive to install to... then it says ‘restarting and shutting down applications’ as other than the installer and finder there were none I expected it to just go ahead quickly. 15 minutes later... stuck - no mouse, not even keyboard to force quite. Did a hard restart. Tried again. And again. And again.... then it reports on rebooting to HS 10.13.5 (something like ‘insufficient resources for installer’ (it was on the screen for a second or so) - I then did a force shut down and tried to reboot. I got no boot chime - only black screen.

I assumed I must have a faulty graphics card to took it out and put the previous AMD HD 5770 back in.

It still won’t boot. No boot chime, no boot screen. It’s not the new card or the old one. I fear coincidentally so other hardware had failed. I Have tried everything I can think of, Different monitors different video cables an types, reset PRAM, SCM, inserted new coin battery, put back old RAM that came with it (6Gb) so I could perhaps boot into an older OSX. No difference- still no boot chime or boot screen. The light next to on/off power button lights up, fans start on the front and on the graphics card (currently the 5770). Hdd are spinning as they get warm.

Old Macs usually don’t die or even fade away they just run and older OS. I’ve just had this one sine 2015 so I’m reluctant to give up - that’s why I got a new Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 580.

I’m sure it was not trying to install Mojave beta that dealt a fatal blow... Any suggestions?? - I’d be grateful

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
[doublepost=1531017519][/doublepost]Thanks to several of you out there with advice on an Apple supported graphics card for my Mac Pro 4.1 flashed to 5.1.

In the end I ordered a Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 580 through Amazon - expected delivery was 7 to 10 days as I’m out in Hawaii. It arrived 4 days later but I only had the mini 6 pin to 6 pin power cable from my old AMD HD 5770 card not the 8 pin to mini 6 pin required. It didn’t come with the card. I ordered one with a ETA of another 10 days but it came in just 3 days! Great I thought....

I swapped the card withe the added new cable booted up in to to 10.13.5 and ran a few tests. All working well. Download ed a full copy of beta 2 using @dosdude1 downloaded coped it into the Applications folder as I wouldn’t have had a boot screen to use a usb installer. It started well .... 3 minutes ... select the drive to install to... then it says ‘restarting and shutting down applications’ as other than the installer and finder there were none I expected it to just go ahead quickly. 15 minutes later... stuck - no mouse, not even keyboard to force quite. Did a hard restart. Tried again. And again. And again.... then it reports on rebooting to HS 10.13.5 (something like ‘insufficient resources for installer’ (it was on the screen for a second or so) - I then did a force shut down and tried to reboot. I got no boot chime - only black screen.

I assumed I must have a faulty graphics card to took it out and put the previous AMD HD 5770 back in.

It still won’t boot. No boot chime, no boot screen. It’s not the new card or the old one. I fear coincidentally so other hardware had failed. I Have tried everything I can think of, Different monitors different video cables an types, reset PRAM, SCM, inserted new coin battery, put back old RAM that came with it (6Gb) so I could perhaps boot into an older OSX. No difference- still no boot chime or boot screen. The light next to on/off power button lights up, fans start on the front and on the graphics card (currently the 5770). Hdd are spinning as they get warm.

Old Macs usually don’t die or even fade away they just run and older OS. I’ve just had this one sine 2015 so I’m reluctant to give up - that’s why I got a new Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 580.

I’m sure it was not trying to install Mojave beta that dealt a fatal blow... Any suggestions?? - I’d be grateful

Any of the diagnostic LEDs on the logic board and on the processor tray are lit? Take a look at pages 24/34/37/38 of the Apple Technician Guide Mac Pro (Mid 2010).

Just a thought: when your Mac Pro powers on, the DVD opens? If so, you have a corrupted BootROM. I did it sometime ago on one of my Mac Pros, not even the failsafe worked. Had to desolder the SPI flash, flash it on a SPI programmer and solder it back.

Last edited:

Louis Vox

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2015
I have Mac Pro 2009 with 5,1 firmware. When I found that macOS Mojave would require Metal capable card, I looked on eBay and got a GT640 (noticed Macvidcards selling GT630/640/740 cards which don’t need extra power cable, so figured it should work). I installed using a MacBook Pro 2012 (which already has Mojave on) and a drive caddy. When I put the drive back in the Mac Pro nothing happened, removed the GT120 (kept for boot screens), still nothing. Connected drive back to Macbook and updated to Beta 3, and tried again. This time when back in the Mac Pro, even without boot screen, I could hear the drive reading, and after a short while it loaded. In time I guess I’ll upgrade the graphics card, but I didn’t want to spend a lot to experiment. Hope this helps.

lilins

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2018
Villeurbanne
it's not beta 2 anymore, but just an update i switched on public beta branch yesterday. had to put my ati 5770 for the firmware update then good to go for Mojave public beta install with the VEGA 64, it's installing right now :)

Corrozya

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2018
Warsaw
I ended up swapping in the GTX 660 and everything is working perfect! I'll have to wait until final release for the web driver on the 980.

View attachment 767167

Hello,

Does your GTX660 work well? Do you have glitches on screen in Mojave? I have EVGA660 and it worked fine on Sierra, but after upgrading to High Sierra glitches emerged... I was wondering if this is gone in Mojave or not...

regards
Mike

Maoltuile

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2009
The App's been downloaded, launched and kicked over to the app store. After downloading and starting the install, the error pops up in a dialog box stating:

installation of macos could not continue. installation requires downloading important content. That can't be downloaded at this time. Try again later.

I'm getting this with a patched USB installer made off 10.14.3. Anyone know the cause?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.