Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Apple does not regularly update their FCPX or any “pro” software marketing materials. I’d argue this is one of the several reasons why many “pros” no longer use this software. They are terrible with release notes across the board.
Apple support material for FCP-X is just ridicule outdated.

FCP-X 10.4 dropped Sierra support some time ago, FCP-X Support page says that Sierra still supported.

Reactions: foliovision

Reindeer_Games

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2018
Pueblo, CO
Well let me just say- not all third-party reseller's are as knowledgable or as talented as the members of this forum, and I believe that this may be a source of their confusion; the Apple, after all, does not fall far from the tree.

I personally, am a huge fan of the FCPX software, the 5,1 machine-and the capabilities it's brought me. The only reason I "need" macOS is FCPX-every other reason is a want, that I can work around with Command Prompt in Windows on a PC if required. I've put food on my table with plenty of work done on my Mac's, I'm pretty sure that classifies me a "pro" by any yard-stick you want to use; but I know of the big-name artists-type you speak.

Well, I agree there are discrepancies - I also believe there is a middle-ground that could be explored via a GPU/APU application of existing chipsets during heavy work-load cycles.

Reindeer_Games

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2018
Pueblo, CO
Unigine Valley and Heaven no longer works after update to 10.14.4. Were working just fine on 10.14.3.

Tested on MacVidCards GTX760 2 GB.

Valley/Heaven and OpenCL/GL is still working in my 10.14.4 build with a MVC 770 when flying solo post- 10.14.4 update.

Screenshot 2019-03-28 17.05.54.png

As well as HEVC encode with the RX580 assist when present. <-EDIT: I've been informed this is likely only a general computations assist, not HEVC encode assist.

Last edited:

Reindeer_Games

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2018
Pueblo, CO
My new cables for my newly acquired secondaries arrived-any cross use of video output between the GTX/RX GPU's in 10.13.6 results in a Log Out (Log in, logs back out); bummer, still not useless though that could kill the application if carried into Mojave.

Mojave behavior was unchanged for now, but does see the screen space under Displays in Arrangement.

Windows works quite well IMO between the GTX/RX GPU's.

Last edited:

Reindeer_Games

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2018
Pueblo, CO
Late to the game but no change-in 10.14.5 with NVIDIA/AMD combo.

Set thread to resolved since I've mostly moved to using either NVIDIA or AMD GPU for certain tasks.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Has somebody tried mixing successfully external PSU power with the internal one?

Reindeer_Games

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2018
Pueblo, CO
I have not-I tapped off the native PSU for power at the solder points to avoid that very dilemma.

In theory (what I had imagined if I had incorporated a secondary PSU), was a 120v relay rated to handle the appropriate load of the secondary (should be dependent on how big the secondary PSU might be, I believe) using a 12v signal load from the primary PSU. Not a pretty solution (IMO) and why I gave up on the idea. In-line diodes to direct the power-flow would be a good idea to incorporate as well to avoid back-feeding any between the PSU's since it's direct current-IMO, if anyone were so inclined.

Forgive my terminology-it's been a few years since I dabbled in electrical hardware on a regular basis beyond my own repairs/upgrades.

Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I have not-I tapped off the native PSU for power at the solder points to avoid that very dilemma.

In theory (what I had imagined if I had incorporated a secondary PSU), was a 120v relay rated to handle the appropriate load of the secondary (should be dependent on how big the secondary PSU might be, I believe) using a 12v signal load from the primary PSU. Not a pretty solution (IMO) and why I gave up on the idea. In-line diodes to direct the power-flow would be a good idea to incorporate as well to avoid back-feeding any between the PSU's since it's direct current-IMO, if anyone were so inclined.

Forgive my terminology-it's been a few years since I dabbled in electrical hardware on a regular basis beyond my own repairs/upgrades.
Now that I got my PCIE2-2707 I want to try multiple GPU's. Hopefully Mojave will start at least. I know I can use them in Windows, but it would be great to combine the power in Mojave. I am thinking of buying cheap Tesla K20 (50-60$ on ebay). It is Kepler GK110 so in theory it should work in Mojave together with the GTX titan and the RX 580. Has somebody tried the Tesla K20? It is a server card with no video outputs.

Reindeer_Games

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2018
Pueblo, CO
...when my Tesla chipset sure isn't recognized in 10.14 at all...

Telsa will most likely not be recognized (best guess). Granted, I was testing a GT 8900-didn't attempt injecting Tesla drivers though either; I could be wrong.

However, I'm clueless as to whether the Kepler Tesla's require a Tesla driver or if they can use the standard Kepler kext in macOS; I was thinking of a similar step instead of the RX580 prior to purchase but decided to just get separate GPU's for individual OS's and swap on shutdown.

Furthermore-my RX580 will not display in Mojave with my GTX770 present. So from your description, even if the GK110 Tesla is recognized, I would presume that the only display output you will achieve would be from the presumed flashed Titan if all cards were used in tandem successfully.

Last edited:

refabmac

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2019
Any update on these mojave gpu pairing projects; I was thinking of doing something similar.
Now that I got my PCIE2-2707 I want to try multiple GPU's. Hopefully Mojave will start at least. I know I can use them in Windows, but it would be great to combine the power in Mojave. I am thinking of buying cheap Tesla K20 (50-60$ on ebay). It is Kepler GK110 so in theory it should work in Mojave together with the GTX titan and the RX 580. Has somebody tried the Tesla K20? It is a server card with no video outputs.

Telsa will most likely not be recognized (best guess). Granted, I was testing a GT 8900-didn't attempt injecting Tesla drivers though either; I could be wrong.

However, I'm clueless as to whether the Kepler Tesla's require a Tesla driver or if they can use the standard Kepler kext in macOS; I was thinking of a similar step instead of the RX580 prior to purchase but decided to just get separate GPU's for individual OS's and swap on shutdown.

Furthermore-my RX580 will not display in Mojave with my GTX770 present. So from your description, even if the GK110 Tesla is recognized, I would presume that the only display output you will achieve would be from the presumed flashed Titan if all cards were used in tandem successfully.

donluca

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2018
Italy
Hold on, does this mean that, as I'm still on High Sierra 10.13.6, that I can slam something like a GT120 along my RX580 to get boot screen support? I'm running two monitors: a smaller useless one which I just use to keep some apps always visible (which I can connect to the GT120) and my main one (which I can connect to the RX580).

I thought this kind of setup lead to boot loops and/or Kernel Panics... anyone care to clear this up?

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
I have an MSI RX 580 and an XFX EFI flashed HD 5770. I run two 24" 1080 monitors.

I " could " run both GPUs with each connected to a single monitor and have EFI bootselection on the HD 5770 but I would lose one PCIe slot as I have High Sierra 10.13.6 running on a Samsung M.2 PCIe 960 EVO and Mojave 10.14.6 is running on a Samsung 960 EVO M.2. Both of the Samsung blades have their own M.2 PCIe adaptors.

===============================================
AMD GPU with AMD GPU works. AMD GPU with Nvidea GPU together is very problematic
===============================================

Currently all my 4 PCIe slots are occupied.

Next month I will be buying an IOCrest 2 blade M.2 PCIe adaptor
Then I will put both of the Samsung M.2 blades on this card this will free up one PCIe slot for installation of my EFI flashed XFX HD 5770 for bootscreens.

IOCrest SI-PEX40129 NVMe M.2 x2.png

donluca

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2018
Italy
Thank you!

I do have an original Mac HD5870 1GB, but it needs two power connectors to work, I was looking forward a card to put alongside my RX580 just for the bootscreen and which doesn't need any extra power and the GT120 sprang to mind.

I don't think there's an AMD card which doesn't require extra power and has bootscreen capability.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
donluca

In my #37 post - I have an EFI flashed XFX HD 5770 which requires only ONE 6 pin - can be powered by 2 X SATA to ONE X 8 pin.

Only ONE DVI port works but works well.

If you can find one ( XFX hd 5770 ) eg: https://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-5770-Graphics-HD577AZNFC/dp/B002SP113K I have the EFI ROM. Win 7 ATI Winflash in Windows 7, dead easy.

EDIT : If you buy an XFX 5770 it should look like this one as often XFX model revisions can be incompatible.
XFX HD 5770.jpg

This pic is from when I flashed the XFX card using the Netkas script. ( Before I bought my cMP 4,1>5,1 )
XFX non-ref HD 5770.jpg

Last edited:

donluca

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2018
Italy
Wow, thank you so much! I haven't thought of this path, that would be great, I'll definitely be on the hunt for that precise non-reference XFX HD5770.

Is the VBIOS to flash on that card readily available? I really don't want to spend money just to get the bootscreen (otherwise I would have got my RX480>580 flashed by MVC).

EDIT: and it's even a single slot card! Which means I can install it into slot 3 to leave more room for my 480>580 to breathe.

JoSch

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2013
Yes, but I don't remember, which ROM I used. I believe, both DVIs are working. But I would have to check that, when I'm home again.

donluca

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2018
Italy
donluca

I PM'd you. :)

Thank you, PM received but I'm having one hell of a time finding that *exact* model.

The closest models I've found is a 2 slot width card with the two DVI ports one upon the others like this:

Schermata 2019-08-01 alle 18.18.38.png

It looks to me that this one has the very similar heatsink and fan.

And another one I can't find anymore which is similar to yours but has a VGA port but seems identical for the rest.

The first one takes two slots just due to the extra DVI connector on top, I'm *VERY* tempted to buy it, remove the front plate and dremel out the top most connector, hoping it's not the main one.

JoSch

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2013
Yes, but I don't remember, which ROM I used. I believe, both DVIs are working. But I would have to check that, when I'm home again.
Both DVIs are working at boot time.
[doublepost=1564732069][/doublepost]
Thank you, PM received but I'm having one hell of a time finding that *exact* model.

The closest models I've found is a 2 slot width card with the two DVI ports one upon the others like this:

View attachment 851004
The slim, single slot version seems to be rare and far inbetween. I had luck some years ago to find one of them.

Last edited:

donluca

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2018
Italy
I've found the eyeinfinity version with 5 mini displayport which, albeit single slot, costs an arm and a leg.

Reindeer_Games

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2018
Pueblo, CO
Any update on these mojave gpu pairing projects; I was thinking of doing something similar.

Sorry for the slow reply. I've been running mostly just a single RX580 to keep my system power usage in-check. I wouldn't suggest dual GPU's for the faint-of-heart considering most cards require some kind of power mod, but NVIDIA/AMD combo was working "modestly-well" the last time I had both cards present. However, @MIKX is right that AMD/AMD is an easier route to keep bootscreen.

Glad to see there's still discussion on the possibilities dual GPU's might present though.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.