Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoSch

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2013
Some time ago, I had a HD5770 and an GTX 750Ti (needs no power cable) in my 3,1. I never had any problems with that combination (aside from the usual Maxwell driver screw up).

donluca

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2018
Italy
Interesting, were you on High Sierra?

I'm still wondering why a GT120 + RX580 doesn't work but a different setup like yours with a 5770 and a 750ti does.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016

I'm still wondering why a GT120 + RX580 doesn't work but a different setup like yours with a 5770 and a 750ti does.
Maxwell GPUs are supported up to High Sierra.

Mojave don't like mixing different manufacturers GPUs, you can use a 120GT + GT 740 that don't have pre-boot configuration support and will work, but you can't use a 120GT with an AMD GPU.

Last edited:

JoSch

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2013

I had the 750Ti replaced with an RX480. I don't know when it became possible to use the RX480. Was it Sierra or High Sierra?

Phraenque

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
Gouda, the Netherlands
Maxwell GPUs are supported up to High Sierra.

Mojave don't like mixing different manufacturers GPUs, you can use a 120GT + GT 740 that don't have pre-boot configuration support and will work, but you can't use a 120GT with an AMD GPU.

Hi,

I want to put in a GT120 to get bootscreens in a flashed cMP 5,1 next to a RX580 and Mojave. Is that possible?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Please can you tell me how to do a clean install from a USB-drive without bootscreens?
Exactly the same way for any GPU that macOS has native drivers, as soon as the drivers are loaded, the GPU works.

RX 580 has macOS installer support. You just have to erase the drive that you want to clean install before, then you remove all other bootable drives keeping just the createinstallmedia and the erased one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reindeer_Games

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Nope, mixing AMD and NVIDIA GPU works for High Sierra, doesn't work for Mojave anymore.
Catalina does not work with NVIDIA and AMD together also. AMD shows black screen probably because the Nvidia titan has a boot screen and it is initialized first. Windows 10 works fine though with both cards as well as HS.

Reindeer_Games

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2018
Pueblo, CO
Please can you tell me how to do a clean install from a USB-drive without bootscreens?

Catalina does not work with NVIDIA and AMD together also. AMD shows black screen probably because the Nvidia titan has a boot screen and it is initialized first. Windows 10 works fine though with both cards as well as HS.

So the dual AMD/NVIDIA GPU's are pretty much a lost cause at this point; admittedly, I was an NVIDIA Kepler holdout and hoped this thread could provide R/D momentum. I had hoped Apple might at least explore the possibility of allowing us to maintain a bootscreen beyond High Sierra while mixing in newer GPU's, but the patch for the more modern AMD GPU's works well IMO for new installs similar to the previous installs-just as tsialex mentioned (you just have to be patient for it to load). The RX580 is working awesome solo at this point in my 4,1/5,1 machine under Mojave.

Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
So the dual AMD/NVIDIA GPU's are pretty much a lost cause at this point; admittedly, I was an NVIDIA Kepler holdout and hoped this thread could provide R/D momentum. I had hoped Apple might at least explore the possibility of allowing us to maintain a bootscreen beyond High Sierra while mixing in newer GPU's, but the patch for the more modern AMD GPU's works well IMO for new installs similar to the previous installs-just as tsialex mentioned (you just have to be patient for it to load). The RX580 is working awesome solo at this point in my 4,1/5,1 machine under Mojave.
Mojave recovery partition outputs to both AMD and NVIDIA. During Catalina upgrade from previous build I see both AMD and NVIDIA screens working fine. The block is somewhere in the OSX. That means it could be patched providing we can find it.

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
Mojave recovery partition outputs to both AMD and NVIDIA. During Catalina upgrade from previous build I see both AMD and NVIDIA screens working fine. The block is somewhere in the OSX. That means it could be patched providing we can find it.
Are both displays being accelerated? Or do they just have an image?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.