Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
I know some will flame me as a luddite for saying this, but to me, Mojave is the end of a wonderful era of mac system software.

32-bit support, gone.
Soon Windows support, gone.

Now with Big Sur making the big play to become iOS part deux, it feels like the end of the line. A wonderful line of macs and os's that I grew up with and know and love.

So, for me, Mojave represents the last stake in the ground, that last, great representation of what macs have become to me.

I will buy Mojave compatible macs from the refurb store going forward, but after that, its a bleak, sad desert. Either windows ... or 'silicon' macs I have no interest in.

Oh well, woe is me.

Last edited:

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Yes I have to agree. I've have no incentive to install Catalina, and as for Big Sur.......well we'll just have to wait and see. But as these recent OS's appear to keep demanding more and more RAM memory, I reckon in the not too distant future 32GB may just about suffice.:rolleyes:
For the moment I'll still very happy and smiling with Mojave, running very well on a mid 2010 MacBook with the DosDude1 patch and 4GB RAM, and another on a MBPro mid-2012 with 8GB RAM. Luvvly-jubbly!

Reactions: Nicole1980

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
Yes I have to agree. I've have no incentive to install Catalina, and as for Big Sur.......well we'll just have to wait and see. But as these recent OS's appear to keep demanding more and more RAM memory, I reckon in the not too distant future 32GB may just about suffice.:rolleyes:
For the moment I'll still very happy and smiling with Mojave, running very well on a mid 2010 MacBook with the DosDude1 patch and 4GB RAM, and another on a MBPro mid-2012 with 8GB RAM. Luvvly-jubbly!

In my fantasy world, Apple would release a 'luddite' version of Mojave that works on the remaining intel Macs (Mac Pro, 2019 16-inch MacBook Pro, 2020 27inch iMac, etc.) so that those of us few stalwarts who don't want to be forced into the 'future' could still enjoy their hardware in the way we see fit.

It probably wouldn't be that hard actually: Just add a couple of extra drivers that deal with the new video cards and processors (drivers that are already in Catalina) and release a version of Mojave that runs on those as well.

Lord knows, if they did that, I'd be buying their stupidly expensive 2019 Mac Pro tomorrow.

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
I recently officially moved to Mōjāv once it was all pretty well stable, got some major Security Updates and LOVE IT!! and will be here forever. Unless someone buys me a new "Cheese Grater" all maxed out with all the stand-alone software I need. I have 10 OSs across two 2TB drives that had a couple APFS partitions to access Catalina, which I am long over with, since it axed several apps that I need and soon I'll start playin' with Big Slurp. I cloned 14.6 to my 7,1 Macbook Pro and it great there too. Might try it on my 17" 4,1.

I'm running Mojave on HFS+ and it's running great. Tried APFS and didn't see any difference and when I moved various sized drives to four 2TB drives which I didn't take the time to do APFS partitions. It runs great, even on a 5400RPM drive. I have a 7200RPM drive all ready and waiting but I can't migrate because Office (32bit) won't Activate and I'm waiting to have my account "reset". I was moving and installing so many OSs and activated too many iterations of Office that I ran out. Then I can permanently move into the 7200RPM drive that is in the disk0s2 position.

And collections like Office 2011 (2016 and up sucks so bad I can see why the Windoze people were bitching for years) and the Creative Suite that I am running, it's amazing to see that only Photoshop is 64bit, all the rest are 32bit. AND I am not going to the cloud version and pay a huge "subscription" every year for. This new scam access to software makes me want to hurt someone. I have a the next version up that might have more 64bit apps that I use. Also Quark is 32bit, I haven't used it recently, but have made so much using it over the years. The last time I looked the upgrade price was "NUTZ!" and not I wouldn't be surprised if it were a subscription scam app now. I have various Apps that need or are EoL with succeeding OSs, that's why I have so many OSs that I have access to. But am whittling them down, moving them to Parallels for more storage or scratch disk space.

I'm at Mōjāv 10.14.6 and happyish on my 3,1 with four monitors. I really want to a 5,1 (the now most popular unit on the planet), but had to buy this 3,1 to run older software, to finish a contract job, that I can in Parallels now. Otherwise . . .

So "Luddites Unite!" . . .

. . . fb

COMaskedFlag_EvenSmaller.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MBAir2010

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I agree with the OP.
Mojave is destined to become the "Windows XP" of the Mac world.

It will remain the ONLY OS that my 2018 Mac Mini ever runs in day-to-day usage.
In fact, that's why I bought the 2018 Mini -- to have one of the last Macs that would run 32 bit software into the foreseeable future...

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
I agree with the OP.

In fact, that's why I bought the 2018 Mini -- to have one of the last Macs that would run 32 bit software into the foreseeable future...

That's awesome. I did the same thing. My main system is a 2019 27 inch iMac, but I got a baseline mini on the refurb store for $599. Already did the ram upgrade on my own to 32gb. Windows lives on the internal drive and I use the cool little T7 samsung usb C ssd (2tb) to put all my legacy mac stuff and boot externally.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I haven't really used Mojave and have been sticking with High Sierra.

In the past, I used to be quick to update my devices to new OS versions, but after getting burned with updating my iPad mini 2 to iOS 9 and having it make what was awesome under iOS 8 basically unusable after updating, I have been very cautious with updates.

I have been toying with trying Mojave on my main Mac, hopefully I like it as much as you do.

I will of course have bootable back ups and installers of old OS versions.

Now with Big Sur making the big play to become iOS part deux, it feels like the end of the line.
I have been saying that Apple has been making minor changes to the Mac OS over the years, in what looks like an attempt to make it more like the iOS.

I think the first time I noticed it was with iTunes, years ago when they dropped multiple window support, and had everything on just one window. This was really annoying and made making a playlist a lot more work. It was just unintuitive compared to prior versions of iTunes.

Losing the up and down arrows on the scroll bar to make it look more like iOS.

AirPort Utility and Disk Utility were also dumb-down to make them more iOS like, losing features as they did it.

Each incident alone doesn't really point to making MacOS more like iOS and iPadOS, but if you look at the trend of all the little changes, you can see the direction Apple is going.

With Big Sur, subtly is thrown out the window, and it looks like a version of iPadOS to me.

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Mojave is definitely a borderline macOS. For me that borderline goes right through the very first iteration of the 10.14.3. Up to that point Mojave was running very comfortably with only 2GB of RAM for basic tasks and had very similar OpenGL support to High Sierra. LOTM for sure.

Reactions: Rashy and Hombre53

M3Stang

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2015
I have Mojave running happily on an MBP 4,1 with 4GB of RAM and a mechanical HDD and it runs great. I am tempted to try Catalina though. I imagine it would work similarly well since it supports Mid 2012s which the cheaper ones came standard with 4GB of RAM. Faster RAM though nonetheless.

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
I agree with the OP.

Nah Windows 7

Reactions: Rashy

dinobear

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2020
I kept Mojave because I use quicktime 7 a lot still ?
But aside from lack of 32b apps, whats wrong with Catalina? I'm planning to get a 16" mbp soon which will be preloade wsith Catalina.

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
I kept Mojave because I use quicktime 7 a lot still ?
But aside from lack of 32b apps, whats wrong with Catalina? I'm planning to get a 16" mbp soon which will be preloade wsith Catalina.

probably not much wrong with Catalina besides the 32-bit loss. However there’s plenty of people, including informed tech pundits like Marco Armant and John Siracusa who feel that Catalina is not apples finest hour in the Mac OS department (Bugs, various performance issues, etc).
Other things may include if you’re one of the folks who like iTunes, then say bye bye to that, along with a few other changes in workflow that you may or may not find annoying.

Reactions: centraljava and !!!

sanfrancisofont1984

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2020
I started with Mojave on a Mac Pro 5,1 (2010) then went to High Sierra for Nvidia video card support (I have a 1080 Ti) and stayed there.

Could someone tell me what is wrong with Office 2016? Can I still buy 2011 second hand? Appreciate it.

Reactions: Mac'n'Hack

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
I like the look of big sur , it’s a lot prettier than Mojave imo .

Ihave no problem with iOS in fact I prefer it to macOS , far more stable , no need to type in unix stuff and ridiculously easy to use . Can’t wait to see what amazing things Apple come out with over the next few years

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
I like the look of big sur , it’s a lot prettier than Mojave imo .

Ihave no problem with iOS in fact I prefer it to macOS , far more stable , no need to type in unix stuff and ridiculously easy to use . Can’t wait to see what amazing things Apple come out with over the next few years

That 'ease of use' you speak of is a double edged sword for some of us. I like to have some ability to control the deeper aspects of my os to my liking.

I know very well how the Mac OS works (and if there's something that trips me up there's always google). But iOS takes that power and control away from the user.

So to you what is 'simplicity' ... is to me 'unnecessarily debilitating'.

whocares07

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2020
Anyone made a fresh install of Catalina and then downgraded to Mojave? Got a 2015 "13 MBP and sometimes stuff like turning off the laptop takes like 30 seconds, tempted to roll back

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
Anyone made a fresh install of Catalina and then downgraded to Mojave? Got a 2015 "13 MBP and sometimes stuff like turning off the laptop takes like 30 seconds, tempted to roll back

I did. I had installed Cata when it was at 10.15.4. Gave it a few days and that was more than enough. Knowing I might not like it of course, I had done a full back up using Carbon Copy Cloner beforehand.

When I got back to Mojave I felt like I was 'home' again :)

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
I don't know how long Catalina takes to boot, but with some experiencing 30secs to turn off, methinks thy should have named it 'Catalepsy'......:rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: George Dawes

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
To me, the OS has been on a slow decline since Lion came out, but I'd consider everything up to Mojave good. Catalina has been nothing but a train wreck for me and many others. I can't imagine Big Sur will be a whole lot better in most regards, and the UI is horrible in my opinion.

macOS as a true desktop and workstation operating system is dead. Server is completely ruined, and many of the good utilities have been dumbed down heavily. It's on a collision course with iOS and is geared towards consumers and a very specific idea of "professionals". Their target audience isn't the kind to install programs and tools made by average people or small businesses, they only care about Apple and other big names.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I agree with the OP.

Mojave will probably go down in history of OSs as the Windows XP or Windows 7 for mac users for years to come on Intel systems 2019 and below.

What I 'think' after my frustrations with macOS Catalina is that the final version is more so configured for systems that have a T2 coprocessor to handle various tasks and decisions. This is my thoughts after constantly going back and forth with Mojave and Catalina.

On my Macbook Pro 2018 (i9, 32 GB RAM & 1TB SSD with a T2), macOS Catalina does ok... FCPX (large productions - not youtube) rendering is acceptable (which is my main app for Macs). On my Mac Pro 2013 it gives me the idea as I watch Active Monitor and other testing and comparing with macOS Mojave, the dual GPUs barely are used for rendering and takes much longer to export and render projects. So Mac Pro 2013 will stay on macOS Mojave for its remainder of life. With macOS Catalina Mac Pro 'seems' to run cooler and actually single-core tasks look like they run quicker...but it will be a decision and trade-off concerning whether to use macOS Catalina and what Mac is used for.

For my Mac Pro 2013 (12-Core, 64 GB RAM, 1TB OWC SSD, dual D500 GPUs: Production work (not youtube etc.)...macOS Mojave by far. If using it for 'general' stuff...macOS Catalina and seems pleasant actually.

It would be interesting to see what Macs do well with macOS Catalina and what the user uses their systems for since it seems their are mixed feels about macOS Catalina (either a good experience or not).

Look forward to see what Big Sur will bring to the table....

whocares07

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2020
So I downgraded back to 10.14.6, let's see if I actually find it to be faster or just placebo

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
Mojave will probably go down in history of OSs as the Windows XP or Windows 7 for mac users for years to come on Intel systems 2019 and below.

What I 'think' after my frustrations with macOS Catalina is that the final version is more so configured for systems that have a T2 coprocessor to handle various tasks and decisions. This is my thoughts after constantly going back and forth with Mojave and Catalina.

On my Macbook Pro 2018 (i9, 32 GB RAM & 1TB SSD with a T2), macOS Catalina does ok... FCPX (large productions - not youtube) rendering is acceptable (which is my main app for Macs). On my Mac Pro 2013 it gives me the idea as I watch Active Monitor and other testing and comparing with macOS Mojave, the dual GPUs barely are used for rendering and takes much longer to export and render projects. So Mac Pro 2013 will stay on macOS Mojave for its remainder of life. With macOS Catalina Mac Pro 'seems' to run cooler and actually single-core tasks look like they run quicker...but it will be a decision and trade-off concerning whether to use macOS Catalina and what Mac is used for.

For my Mac Pro 2013 (12-Core, 64 GB RAM, 1TB OWC SSD, dual D500 GPUs: Production work (not youtube etc.)...macOS Mojave by far. If using it for 'general' stuff...macOS Catalina and seems pleasant actually.

It would be interesting to see what Macs do well with macOS Catalina and what the user uses their systems for since it seems their are mixed feels about macOS Catalina (either a good experience or not).

Look forward to see what Big Sur will bring to the table....
Well said.

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
So I downgraded back to 10.14.6, let's see if I actually find it to be faster or just placebo
The issue is less about speed than about stability and compatability.
I'd be surprised if either os feels 'faster'.

Assuming you have an ssd, pretty much all modern computers are so 'fast' that theres absolutely zero lag regardless of the os iteration or specific software its running on.

The rare times I hear someone talk about how 'slow' or 'fast' an OS 'feels' it makes me think I'm back in 2007 or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: George Dawes
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.