Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Carylee wrote:
"Mojave is no speedster that's for sure."

Hmmmm....

Tell us what Mac you are running it on.
Tell us what kind of drive is inside that Mac.

Reactions: Racineur

carylee2002

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
MacPro 5,1 with a 250gb SSD for my Mojave drive...rest are regular 1tb drives and raid 3-4gb Raid 5 external. Rest is in my description.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
I agree with the OP.
Mojave is destined to become the "Windows XP" of the Mac world.

It will remain the ONLY OS that my 2018 Mac Mini ever runs in day-to-day usage.
In fact, that's why I bought the 2018 Mini -- to have one of the last Macs that would run 32 bit software into the foreseeable future...

More like Windows 7. Windows XP was Snow Leopard. ;)

Last edited:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
There are tests that showed that amongst Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, and Catalina, Mojave is the slowest. Sierra is the fastest, with HS and Catalina going second.

Reactions: George Dawes

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
There are tests that showed that amongst Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, and Catalina, Mojave is the slowest. Sierra is the fastest, with HS and Catalina going second.

Can you offer links? If thats true, I wonder if its something to do with the specific setup or setups they used.

I'm also guessing the results were within fractions of seconds, or in other words - within the margin of error. But I'm fine if you prove me wrong.

Either way, Mojave certainly doesnt 'feel' any slower on my systems. And if anything, my systems feel smoother with Mojave than sierra or high sierra did.
I havent done any comparison tests to be fair, but mainly because I havent noticed anything that would make me bother with it.

@carylee2002

Last edited:

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
MacPro 5,1 with a 250gb SSD for my Mojave drive...rest are regular 1tb drives and raid 3-4gb Raid 5 external. Rest is in my description.

Not to cast shade on your system, but any data point using a computer that came out a decade before the OS in question is generally not a great data point.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
I agree with the OP.

It will remain the ONLY OS that my 2018 Mac Mini ever runs in day-to-day usage.
In fact, that's why I bought the 2018 Mini -- to have one of the last Macs that would run 32 bit software into the foreseeable future...

A shrewd observation. Although so far I've kept my MBP up to date, my iMac remains on XP Mojave because Catalina offers nothing but takes so much away. As for Big Sur - thanks but not thanks.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I having been living with Catalina on my 2015 13” MacBook Pro that has 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD with the release of 10.15.4, Booting takes about 23 seconds from cold start to login screen. Shutdown takes about 8 seconds. I never have timed, in Mojave, how long it took to startup and shutdown, so I don't have a comparison to go by. Fast user switching is painfully slow, about 4 seconds, even with a clean install which is a bit annoying. There are a few quirks as well that crop up from time to time, like deleting a file stack from the Desktop and it still shows the image of the files after the files are deleted. Have to kill off Finder to get it to show properly. But for the most part I don’t really miss Mojave as Catalina has been pretty stable for me. Yes, there are some 32-bit apps that I could not use but those haven’t been used in a long time so maybe it is a good thing that I had to delete them as part of house cleaning. The really important apps work in Catalina. I am looking forward to trying out Big Sur when it is officially released, will probably wait unit the 11.04 release.

Last edited:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Anyone made a fresh install of Catalina and then downgraded to Mojave? Got a 2015 "13 MBP and sometimes stuff like turning off the laptop takes like 30 seconds, tempted to roll back

Keep in mind that when you shutdown the computer, the OS has to wait for apps and processes to quit before it can do a clean shutdown. Maybe try closing any open apps first and then do the shutdown.

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
Anyone made a fresh install of Catalina and then downgraded to Mojave? Got a 2015 "13 MBP and sometimes stuff like turning off the laptop takes like 30 seconds, tempted to roll back

To me, random issues aside (which often are the result of a unique issue with one particular computer) the key question I have to ask is this: How exactly does Catalina Improve your work/play/life with your computer. We know Cata robs us of 32 bit apps.

But what does it give us in return,
a noticable speed boost? Definitely not.
A better more efficient workflow? Don’t think so.
Access to new tools that we can’t live without? Not that I can tell.

Bottom line, from my perspective, Catalina is the OS that taketh away ... but doesn’t giveth jack squat.

fabiodrums

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2015
I downgraded to Mojave in my MacBook Air 2013. I had the same problems as you, minor battery life, iTunes ruined and 32 bit softwares and games out.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I agree with the OP.

You are right (or Windows 7)
It is tragic Apple is going in the wrong direction ...but still making trillions : good for them, bad for us.
There are few Apple things I like lately , fewer and fewer, ,lost that excitement I had in the past when something new was coming out. Now it's fear about what they can ruin
So SAD

carylee2002

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
Not to cast shade on your system, but any data point using a computer that came out a decade before the OS in question is generally not a great data point.
Well if apple didn't comeout with that garbagecan of a MacPro which ended up to be truly what it is looked like, Im sure more people would have changed to newer MacPro's. But since the latest new one came out at it's outrageous price point, there is still great demand for the 5,1 MacPro's and if you upgraded everything to the max like I pretty much have, then the OS shouldn't be that big of a bottleneck. Unless Apple does it on purpose to force people to abandon their old computers. I myself have mine setup like a server/daw station so upgrading is not practical at this time.

Reactions: Nicole1980

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Yes I have to agree. I've have no incentive to install Catalina, and as for Big Sur.......well we'll just have to wait and see. But as these recent OS's appear to keep demanding more and more RAM memory, I reckon in the not too distant future 32GB may just about suffice.:rolleyes:
For the moment I'll still very happy and smiling with Mojave, running very well on a mid 2010 MacBook with the DosDude1 patch and 4GB RAM, and another on a MBPro mid-2012 with 8GB RAM. Luvvly-jubbly!
Is there anything that makes you more inclined to update too big sur. I am also on Mojave, however, the latest security update has been making my screen flicker every now and then.

Anyone reading this who is still on Mojave, will you stay once big sur comes out or update and why?

z2000

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2019
Rotterdam
I may use other SSD to try. but I'm sure some my app /work can not compatible in the beginning.
So I will stay with Mojave. until I change my MBA

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I know some will flame me as a luddite for saying this, but to me, Mojave is the end of a wonderful era of mac system software.

32-bit support, gone.
Soon Windows support, gone.

Now with Big Sur making the big play to become iOS part deux, it feels like the end of the line. A wonderful line of macs and os's that I grew up with and know and love.

So, for me, Mojave represents the last stake in the ground, that last, great representation of what macs have become to me.

I will buy Mojave compatible macs from the refurb store going forward, but after that, its a bleak, sad desert. Either windows ... or 'silicon' macs I have no interest in.

Oh well, woe is me.

Arguably, you could say Mojave is the best OS as long as you sill use 32-bit apps.. I think the "ball park" question as why people seem to not like moving to Catalina, is probably revolved round lack of 32-bit support.

I like the WOW64 emulation, even on Windows 10 for 32-bit-ness.. You would of thought this would have been a good run to re-introduce Rosetta again on Mac

Their doing that anyway moving to Apple Silicon, (abit.. Rosetta 2) so they should have started early with Catalina.

That way they would have get more over, rather than rely on developers that cannot update for whatever reason/often technical/too much effort, or abandoned apps which will never be updated.

If Rosetta (2) ran on Catalina, all that would have been solved. And equally, being the last line of the Intel Mac..... it's fits in perfectly.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Is there anything that makes you more inclined to update too big sur. I am also on Mojave, however, the latest security update has been making my screen flicker every now and then.

Anyone reading this who is still on Mojave, will you stay once big sur comes out or update and why?

My mac pro 2013 renders better on Mojave over Catalina. Might have something to do with no T2 (not sure) I noticed my T2 macs are ok on Catalina, but my non-T2 are not.

Will give Big Sir a spin and see. Some macs will stay on Mojave, others on Catalina and a few may go Big Sir. It just depends on which system runs better with what version OS.

Reactions: Jack Neill

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
SSD will always make a difference over spinning hard drives.

I did a fresh install of Catalina yesterday, just to bite the bullet (finally..), and although 32 bit apps won't work, i'm somewhat complacent why WINE 64-bit will wok vesion will work on Movjane but NOT on Catalina..... I'll test this, but its probaly no huge loss..I mean the whole mean why i used WNE in the first place was dur o overhead you get with vmware virtualization. (OS install etc...) I foundou my WINE stul i rarely did anyway, so there was no reason NOTO to go with Catilina... but i'd still like to do it without VM.

I'll get used to the "here"" and "now"

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
I was on Sierra for years , never crashed once in 5 years , only upgraded to mojave due to the security updates - it's definitely slower than sierra and there's occasional finder slowdowns and hangs all the time - not very impressed tbh

iMac 27 w/ 1tb ssd

carylee2002

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
I've had the best luck with High Sierra on my rig until the Security update 2020-04 which it didn't like my dual nvidia quadro card setup. I then took the plunge and bought the Rx590 to replace Nvidia altogether along with upgrading to Mojave. So far Mojave is behaving but only up to the 04 update, because of the problems the 2020-05 caused last few weeks. I don't do any gaming but photography and video editing, so consistency and reliability is my priority. Mojave is ok...but to me High Sierra was king. But one must keep upgrading. I still need 32bit and Flash for now so Catalina is out.

dickie001x

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
The problem with 2020-005 has finally been sorted out - another ‘supplemental’ was released a few days ago. I find Mojave to be the better OS compared to HS, providing you’re running it on an SSD. Don’t bother if you’re still using an old mechanical HD.

Reactions: Apple_Glen_UK

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
I have a 13” MacBook Pro (2015) and my needs are fairly basic. I mainly use it for music (iTunes), browsing the internet and for my photography (I use the standalone Lightroom 6). My MBP came installed with Yosemite and it would crash occasionally. This being my first Mac, I assumed it was normal – just like what used to happen with my old Windows PC’s! I skipped El Capitan and upgraded to Sierra and couldn’t believe the difference. Everything was faster, smoother and it didn’t crash once. I then missed out High Sierra but upgraded once Mojave came around and I’m still on Mojave 10.14.6 now. I used to get warnings that Lightroom 6 would not work if I upgraded to Catalina, but I’ve since read some reports contrary to that. Either way, I’m going to remain on Mojave. Apart from the recent blip with the Supplemental Update 2020-005 which caused a few issues, now that is sorted everything is fine again. I don’t recall Sierra feeling any faster than Mojave and with my MBP working speedily and perfectly well, I’m not inclined to change anything.

Reactions: dickie001x
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.