Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Mojave also has the last "classic" version of the Mail.app.
They've made changes in the Catalina Mail.app that makes it impossible to re-create "the old look" of Mail, which I prefer...

I noticed that when you migrate your user data from Mojave to Catalina, the "classic" view of the Mail.app somehow migrates to Catalina as well, so there is a way not to "loose it".

MK500

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
Brand new top of the line i7 Mac mini can be downgraded to Mojave without problems and fully supported. It's still available to buy new from Apple. I know because I bought one this year.

Dark mode + 32 bit support for the win!

I'll keep this one around for all my older software, but must admit I prefer using my M1 MacBook Air as my daily driver. Big Sur isn't bad really.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Is anyone else getting bored on Mojave? I just want something new and debated if I should update to Catalina but i always stop myself.

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Is anyone else getting bored on Mojave? I just want something new and debated if I should update to Catalina but i always stop myself.
If you use the computer for general browsing and you have a backup (or don't care for restoring), then go for it.

If you use your computer for critical work or study, I'd hold off. You could always partition your internal drive or use an external SSD for a trial installation of Catalina before you dive in completely.

MK500

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
Another option is to keep a Mojave build in Parallels and then upgrade to the latest OS. Then you will always be able to run your 32 bit apps in the Parallels VM.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Is anyone else getting bored on Mojave?
I might be totally different than most other people on the matter, but I don't get "bored" of an OS. I might get bored of what I do with the OS, but unless it is due to a limitation of the OS (like Catalina not being able to run 32-bit apps), that is on me and not the OS.

I just like my stuff to work, and the job of the OS is just to keep things working and stable.

The duty of an OS is not to keep one entertain, imo. That is up to the apps.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
I agree with your statement, part of me wants to try out sidecar but the other part knows how disastrous Catalina is.

I am already having issues on Mojave (thanks to the newest supplemental update) such as my dGPU doesn't turn off and is always on no matter what I do. I believe this is the safari 14 updates fault since it registers safari as high-performance use.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
part of me wants to try out sidecar
If you were referring iOS, I would totally understand, as once you try, you might be stuck with it. But trying an OS on the Mac isn't that big of a deal.

Just install Catalina on a partition, external SSD, or even a USB flash drive. Give it a try and see if it will work for you.

I would keep a bootable back up of Mojave around, just in case you need/want to go back.

Reactions: Natzoo

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
If you were referring iOS, I would totally understand, as once you try, you might be stuck with it. But trying an OS on the Mac isn't that big of a deal.

Just install Catalina on a partition, external SSD, or even a USB flash drive. Give it a try and see if it will work for you.

I would keep a bootable back up of Mojave around, just in case you need/want to go back.
I use the time machine as my main backup, but I have heard that it is not super reliable.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
We just updated a 2013 imac and 2015 mbp to Mojave using an old thumbdrive I made a couple years ago. We are all on Mojave now and will stay there. I'd love to upgrade but don't think it's worth the time to buy an external SSD and figure out how to do it and not mess up my internal SSD that is staying with Mojave. If anything, I'll wait to buy a used M1 mini and try out Big Sur. I'd like to get back into programming if I can.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Have you tried actually running a VM in Parallels? The only 32-bit stuff that died for me were games that never got updated to 64-bit. That means Portal 2, Firewatch, Half Life and Half Life 2. Try running those in Parallels, it's painful. Even on low graphics settings. Thank goodness I keep a gaming PC that while running 64-bit Linux, it can allow 32 bit games to still run.

What is the point of 64-bit? I mean what point is there that WE will notice? All I'm seeing are complaints, valid ones, of still useful apps and games no longer being able to run. Windows 10 still supports 32-bit. Linux as well. Having 32-bit support and a tad bit of backward compatibility isn't holding anyone back from 64-bit but what customer benefit is there? Seems intended for the egos of spec junkies to me. Like the types who follow and obsess over Linus Tech Tips and 64-core CPUs. Does anyone actually care?!

It always upsets me that people decry those like me using a Galaxy S3 or a Tab 2 10.1 as 'holding back progress' but how?! If you like modern stuff, go for it! I'm not stopping anyone from enjoying modern stuff. I'm just one guy. I've heard terms to folks who prefer older things as 'luddites' and how they 'hold back the future' but I don't understand how they could. If the future is really that good what business is it of folks to concern themselves over a few folks who hold onto a decade old device that serves their needs best? Obviously the future wins in the end anyway. The few who preferred the '70s cars didn't stop them from going extinct anyway. Neither did the few who preferred horse and buggy stop cars from happening. Just do you and let everyone else be themselves.

Reactions: planteater

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia

It is not a matter of getting bored, you will just find that some things(like updating command line utility) works on Catalina and does not work on Mojave. Don't ask me why, maybe Mojave already has deprecated security certificates but I am not sure about this.
My Late 2008 MacBook will have to stay on Mojave for obvious reasons though.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I might be totally different than most other people on the matter, but I don't get "bored" of an OS. I might get bored of what I do with the OS, but unless it is due to a limitation of the OS (like Catalina not being able to run 32-bit apps), that is on me and not the OS.

I just like my stuff to work, and the job of the OS is just to keep things working and stable.

Just change your desktop picture and you will believe it is new. That is what apple does... ;)

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Just change your desktop picture and you will believe it is new. That is what apple does... ;)
I'm not even going to lie, switching my devices from dark to light mode made it feel like a new device. I personally like light mode more and leave it on my devices (except the OLED one of course).

Reactions: loby

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I don't get 'bored' with something that works. It's that simple. When some OEM decides though to force something on me which I can't undo, then there's hell to pay.

"If it ain't broken, don't fix it"

Unfortunately, Apple takes Tronicsfix's motto of "If it ain't broke, I'll fix it till it is" and goes crazy with it.

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
Have you tried actually running a VM in Parallels? The only 32-bit stuff that died for me were games that never got updated to 64-bit. That means Portal 2, Firewatch, Half Life and Half Life 2.
If you're talking about virtualizing a Mac OS, then yea, Parallels is terrible. Any 32-bit Mac program that has any kind of 3D elements either crashes in Parallels, or doesn't run right. I've tried every OS from 10.6 to Mojave in Parallels and the virtualization sucks.

I know they spend 99 percent of their time optimizing Parallels for Windows OS's, but I was hoping with the end of 32-bit support on Mac OS's that they would improve the Mac virtualization so those older programs would work correctly. So far, nada.

Reactions: conmee

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
No, I was referring to virtualizing Linux or Windows 10. Games especially. You don't get any real performance benefits. It demands far more from the system than running an OS natively. Better to blow away Mac OS entirely and run Linux or Windows natively (which isn't possible on a T2 Mac, sadly)

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
What is the point of 64-bit? I mean what point is there that WE will notice? All I'm seeing are complaints, valid ones, of still useful apps and games no longer being able to run. Windows 10 still supports 32-bit. Linux as well. Having 32-bit support and a tad bit of backward compatibility isn't holding anyone back from 64-bit but what customer benefit is there? Seems intended for the egos of spec junkies to me. Like the types who follow and obsess over Linus Tech Tips and 64-core CPUs. Does anyone actually care?!

Agreed. The funny thing is, while the supporters of dropping 32 bit said the benefit was to ‘streamline’ the code, the inataller for a big Sir is over 10gb while the installer for Mojave is a tad over 6gb!!!

So much for all that much touted ‘streamlining’.

dsemf

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
Agreed. The funny thing is, while the supporters of dropping 32 bit said the benefit was to ‘streamline’ the code, the inataller for a big Sir is over 10gb while the installer for Mojave is a tad over 6gb!!!

So much for all that much touted ‘streamlining’.
The Big Sur executable files are universal binaries which contain both x64 and AS code which makes the install larger and results in a larger System APFS volume.

The "streamlining" was removing the 32-bit support which makes it easier to improve the APIs.

DS

Reactions: ssmed

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
I know some will flame me as a luddite for saying this, but to me, Mojave is the end of a wonderful era of mac system software.

32-bit support, gone.
Soon Windows support, gone.

Now with Big Sur making the big play to become iOS part deux, it feels like the end of the line. A wonderful line of macs and os's that I grew up with and know and love.

So, for me, Mojave represents the last stake in the ground, that last, great representation of what macs have become to me.

I will buy Mojave compatible macs from the refurb store going forward, but after that, its a bleak, sad desert. Either windows ... or 'silicon' macs I have no interest in.

Oh well, woe is me.
a computer is just a tool. What software are you running on Mojave, that will not be replaced by something faster and more refined?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Mojave was nice. I had it running on my home server. It was running fine and I felt comfortable with it. And when BS was released, I upgraded. In hindsight, I would have left the server as is. I don't hate BS. I am using it to type this post on my M1 MBA. It will take a little more getting used to, especially that login screen which I find hideous.

I agree with @Fishrrman about its legacy as the Mac XP.

All the apps I use and need are 64 bit so I haven't missed anything in that regard.

I think many people get set in their ways and find it hard at times to move forward. At the same time, if a device and OS is working well for you and you have no real desire or need to have newer hardware and the apps that go with it, staying where you are makes sense. I also think you need to be careful not to cut the limb off of the tree you are sitting on.

Overall, I think Apple is moving in a positive direction. And I will stick with them while we are of like mind.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I'll believe Apple is moving in a positive direction once the flat UI from the Yosemite era is long gone and we get back the skeuo of Mavericks. It's been 7 years of flat. It's time to move on.

Don_Con

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2019
Alexandria, VA
Great thread.

I am on a Mac Pro 5,1, about as maxed out as possible on CPU/Ram, and running High Sierra. I NEVER upgrade right away, either with OS X and/or iOS devices, I always wait for several iterations.

Recently started feeling some slow-down, "micro stalls", etc, so started researching upgrading to Mojave.

I realized that while I upgraded my CPU and RAM (2x3.46 6cores and 128gb of ram), I left my 10 year old Radeon 5770 in there, so I ordered a new Radeon 580 (8g) to replace this legacy GPU as preventative maintenance.

At the end of the day, I debating if I really want to update to Mojave given the stability of High Sierra, while dealing with some intermittent "circles of delay" that have popped up. The new GPU has metal support, so the door remains open.

Reactions: vassilev

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
Another option is to keep a Mojave build in Parallels and then upgrade to the latest OS. Then you will always be able to run your 32 bit apps in the Parallels VM.
But Mac os’s tend to run like crap in parallels and a lot of software that uses 3D video card elements completely fail. The support for windows os’es is way better in Parallels or VMware Fusion

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
No, I was referring to virtualizing Linux or Windows 10. Games especially. You don't get any real performance benefits. It demands far more from the system than running an OS natively. Better to blow away Mac OS entirely and run Linux or Windows natively (which isn't possible on a T2 Mac, sadly)
What are you talking about? I run windows natively on my t2 Mac mini in boot camp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.