Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Blue Velvet said:
While we mostly use Lacie Electron Blue's at work...

This is what we use at the office also. I second this recommendation, but unfortunately I think you'll find the prices actually quite similar to the LCDs. I have an ACD at home, and while it looks great, I find it a bit gritty. Kind of hard to explain.

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
decksnap said:
This is what we use at the office also. I second this recommendation, but unfortunately I think you'll find the prices actually quite similar to the LCDs. I have an ACD at home, and while it looks great, I find it a bit gritty. Kind of hard to explain.

The screen coating or all the crystals are heavier than most other displays?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
'crystally' is a good word. I don't know if all LCDs are like this or just the ACDs, I don't have much exerience with them.

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
I have noticed its more noticeable on the ACD than others, but its not much. You do quickly get use to it thats if you're not sitting too close? Strangely though I have found the default Tiger walls seem to show it up more than any other wall or its just an illusion to me...

Other TFT's I have you hardly notice this unless you really focus on it and I mean really look up close. I do find the clarity on the Apple displays much better for design. Plus best of all the alumunium is not distracting like most monitors that have a black surround, which always seem to draw your eyes at times as where the silver is it seems to dim down in lighting enviroments and you focus on your work.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
vohdoun said:
I have noticed its more noticeable on the ACD than others, but its not much. You do quickly get use to it thats if you're not sitting too close? Strangely though I have found the default Tiger walls seem to show it up more than any other wall or its just an illusion to me...

Other TFT's I have you hardly notice this unless you really focus on it and I mean really look up close. I do find the clarity on the Apple displays much better for design. Plus best of all the alumunium is not distracting like most monitors that have a black surround, which always seem to draw your eyes at times as where the silver is it seems to dim down in lighting enviroments and you focus on your work.

Thanks- I'm not crazy! Trying to explain this phenomenon in another forum was to no avail. It really DOES make the default wallpaper, as well as many other Apple wallpapers and images in general look pretty bad.

Lenora

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Stratification said:
I haven't been able to sit down in front of one of these screens yet. Just a quick question to possibly add to the discussion. Is there any color shift dependent on viewing angle? It doesn't help much if the color is spot on when I'm dead center, but changes if I move. I've been mulling over the whole LCD vs CRT debate in preparation for my next monitor also.

This is exactly what I meant when I said color inconsistency. In reality, maybe what I should have said was color intensity or brightness or something, but I cannot get past the fact that on many of the LCD monitors I was looking at in stores, offices, etc, there was a huge dark/light difference on the screen from top to bottom. Some people (salesmen and people using the monitors) actually said they could not see what I was talking about, even when, with our heads at the same angle, I pointed to the top of the screen and the bottom and said, "Do you see the difference in colors?" on a background that was all one color (especially a light color).

So, I am back with a nice CRT, which, for my purposes, is very satisfactory.

Could it be some people don't see the same things? My son and I see the dark/light thing on almopst all monitors and TVs but my husbamd can't see it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.