Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
Does anyone do the monthly option for AC+? I am thinking of going this route as it’s easy to cancel it at any time, vs paying in full and having to call Apple etc. I know it’s a bit more expensive but just curious how many people do it this way as I’m thinking about it..

Reactions: StageMomma

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Yeah, same. so you don’t have to call in to cancel with monthly option?

Nope. It’s under your AppleID in subscriptions.
d0aac6cf4357a5091205b61c125d577c.jpg

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
I purchase the two year plan outright. Saves a tiny bit and $149 is a nicer number in my head.

Reactions: rKunda

AudreyHorne

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2018
To me, buying outright is the best option if you keep your phone for exactly two years. If you keep your phone for exactly two years, buying outright is the cheapest option! If you upgrade every year, monthly AppleCare is cheaper*, and if you keep your phone longer than two years, paying monthly is the only way to extend your coverage AFAIK.

*This doesn’t account for increased resale value if your device has AppleCare, but in my experience having active AppleCare+ doesn’t impact device resale value much if at all!

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
To me, buying outright is the best option if you keep your phone for exactly two years. If you keep your phone for exactly two years, buying outright is the cheapest option! If you upgrade every year, monthly AppleCare is cheaper*, and if you keep your phone longer than two years, paying monthly is the only way to extend your coverage AFAIK.

*This doesn’t account for increased resale value if your device has AppleCare, but in my experience having active AppleCare+ doesn’t impact device resale value much if at all!

This is a good point. It’s hard cause I don’t know if I plan to keep it for two years or not. I say I will but then the new one comes out and I’m like “I want it!”

Reactions: Jovijoker

screamace

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
The monthly AppleCare+ was said to be perpetual right? Until they stop supporting certain model of course. I did it for my daughter's iPad Pro 11" just for the peace of mind.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
We do it on all our Apple devices. Our son is 10 and tends to be hard on his things. Plus with the price we pay initially it's great peace of mind.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Just curious. How do you continue coverage if you purchase 24 months up front after that expires?

IphoneX9753

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2020
It says you have 60 days after your upfront coverage ends to apply. The steps they outline say to go into settings...general...about and then tap AppleCare+ coverage...then follow the prompts. You have to wait for the upfront term to end, then the monthly will continue until you choose to stop it.

Complex757

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2016
I've done it both ways before.

Being that I might only keep my phone a year, I might do it monthly because it's easier to cancel.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I've done it both ways before.

Being that I might only keep my phone a year, I might do it monthly because it's easier to cancel.

Yeah, I like that you cancel it yourself with the monthly plan. I had to call Apple to remove AC+ on my Pro and since I couldn’t remember the last four of my card I used last year (the card merged into another one so the # changed) so they had to give me a gift card instead.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Yeah, I like that you cancel it yourself with the monthly plan
I am currently on the monthly plan of apple care+ since my 2-year plan expired and the monthly plan is horrible. You are paying more for the same plan since taxes every month make it 11 dollars. Plus with the 2-year plan, you are saving 4 months of payments and can cancel it anytime and get it prorated.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I am currently on the monthly plan of apple care+ since my 2-year plan expired and the monthly plan is horrible. You are paying more for the same plan since taxes every month make it 11 dollars. Plus with the 2-year plan, you are saving 4 months of payments and can cancel it anytime and get it prorated.

Very true. I always go the 2 year option and pay it all up front but these posts had me thinking a bit. Guess you solidified my decision, lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.