Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
How does Bloomberg speculation = "likely"? Seems they're just guessing like everyone else.

Sounds like the reporter spoke w/ someone at Appel PR "off the record," as I haven't seen any official statements by Apple reflecting the below quote and I don't know why a professional journalist would quote Apple unless they spoke w/ someone there or want to get fired and disgraced:

The company also may be trying to manage expectations for the new device, signaling that it's more of an accessory instead of a category that stands by itself.

SpectatorHere

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
Too late. Consumers are already buying tons of fitbits and fuelbands (et.al.), and becoming addicted to wearing them. One with an Ive design, Beats or Apple logo and Leica build quality might only boost this fad to a new level.

Yeah, except those fitbits and fuelbands aren't doing that well (ask Nike who just dropped out of the market). It's a niche market for runners since about 2007, and became a small trendy fad the past couple years. They've all been plagued by the same problems of bad battery life, bad user interface and high price.

----------

The only way I'd buy an I watch is if it had some sort of kinetic charging so I don't have to take it off every couple of days to charge it.

I like this idea, and it could be a game changer if they could pull it off. There is little need for these things, so the extra hassle of charging them every day or two makes them unappealing...but something that gives a little value/convenience and doesn't require charging/syncing etc...that might work.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
If its an accessory to the iPhone its going to be DOA. Everyone has gotten wearables all wrong. Why on earth would anyone buy a smart watch to extend what their phone already does?

I can buy an iPad and it doesn't require me to own an iPhone. Why can't I buy a smart watch without a smart phone?

The iWatch has to be all new, like the iPhone was in 2007.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Too late. Consumers are already buying tons of fitbits and fuelbands (et.al.), and becoming addicted to wearing them. One with an Ive design, Beats or Apple logo and Leica build quality might only boost this fad to a new level.

Fitbits and fuel bands, YES, but smart watches that cost several hundred dollars and merely extend your phone, no.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Sounds like the reporter spoke w/ someone at Appel PR "off the record," as I haven't seen any official statements by Apple reflecting the below quote and I don't know why a professional journalist would quote Apple unless they spoke w/ someone there or want to get fired and disgraced:

To me using the word "may" signals it's a guess, not an off the record leak by Apple.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
It is likely Apple is planning to unveil its wearable device, which has commonly been called the iWatch in rumors, several months before it becomes available to consumers. A distinct lack of product leaks and tangible rumors have suggested the device is not yet in production, and an introduction before a deluge of part leaks allows Apple to debut the device while it's still largely a surprise.

This is the sound of MR furiously backpedalling.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
It's said to come in multiple sizes and at multiple price points, and it is also said to be heavily integrated with the iPhone and iOS 8 features like the Health app.

I'm hoping that it's a mini-quad-copter. It'll track you jogging, running, pumping iron at the gym, whatever. And if you fall into a ravine while jogging, it could fly to wherever there is a strong enough cell signal and call for help. (And sure, there might be a wrist-top controller for the "iCopter." Whatever.)

The flying would necessitate a suitably large area to demo the "iCopter," which could explain the big white structure Apple is building at Flint Center as I type this post.

/s

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
Is this going to be the biggest let down of the year I wonder?

End up being just a modded fuel band, with just a load more sensors, linked to only work/be compatible with the iPhone's new health apps, and that's all this expectation will end up being in reality?

Here is what I'd like to see but not expecting... Literally a Dick Tracy type watch, that uses bluetooth to make a phone call from your iPhone while it's still in your pocket and allows you to talk back and forth through the wrist band. FaceTime would be a plus. I'm not even sure this is technically possible, but it would be super cool

Like I said, not expecting that, but that would be insanely great, as Steve Jobs would say and worthy of an original Mac/iMac type event. :)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
If its an accessory to the iPhone its going to be DOA. Everyone has gotten wearables all wrong. Why on earth would anyone buy a smart watch to extend what their phone already does?

I can buy an iPad and it doesn't require me to own an iPhone. Why can't I buy a smart watch without a smart phone?

The iWatch has to be all new, like the iPhone was in 2007.

Battery life. No way you can get complete smartphone functionally in a tiny device like a watch without having to charge it all the time. Honestly I hope Apple isn't trying to design an iPhone for the wrist. Have it do stuff the phone doesn't do.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
To me using the word "may" signals it's a guess, not an off the record leak by Apple.

No. If you parse the sentence "may" refers to lowering expectations, and an explanation for "the signaling" not the signaling itself. The first half of the sentence is the reporter's own speculation based on the active "signaling"; i.e., source, from Apple in the second part of the sentence.

As I said in my earlier post I have not seen Apple publically talk about the watch in any way, so any "signals" the report received, based on how he wrote the sentence, read to come from Apple, not a 3rd party source.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
Too bad if the rumour is true because the iWatch would have made an excellent...and one more thing...moment.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
History has taught me to buy the first gen anyways since the original iPhone is now worth more than $1k

Haha, what?! Maybe still shrink-wrapped, mint in box. So maybe if you buy an iWatch but have zero intention of using it except to sell it 7-years later.

PFKMan23

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2012
This makes sense, if they just want to temper expectations, but it also makes me curious as to how it would be any better than the Galaxy Gear aside from it being an Apple product.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Battery life. No way you can get complete smartphone functionally in a tiny device like a watch without having to charge it all the time. Honestly I hope Apple isn't trying to design an iPhone for the wrist. Have it do stuff the phone doesn't do.

Why would a smart watch have to have full smartphone capabilities? What it has to do is a few things better than a smartphone really well.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Is this going to be the biggest let down of the year I wonder?

End up being just a modded fuel band, with just a load more sensors, linked to only work/be compatible with the iPhone's new health apps, and that's all this expectation will end up being in reality?

who said this rumored, non-confirmed device was to be anything other? they havent said a peep.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I was just thinking about the "Wish we could say more" tag line. I wonder if it has anything to do with Siri integration, talking to your watch or TV instead of using gestures.

slippery

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
Not sure an iWatch is for me I like my Hublot and Omega's too much.
Before anyone digs me out I don't have a massively well paid job but I do have a love of watches and I save very hard to buy them.
The point is if you like your watches your not likely to wear an iWatch, in my opinion.
What do you do wear a watch on either wrist and look a complete plank..?
If it's a fitness band you can wear to the gym or while your jogging / training ect then fair enough.
Also I'm not sure you'd want to continually upgrade your iWatch every year or 2, again I could be wrong.
Just my thoughts and there not meant to offend anyone but won't deny I'm still really excited about the event and see what Apple have up their sleeve no pun intended..! Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.