Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidwsica

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2005
Backordered/Low Stock?

I took the plunge last Wednesday, 11/16 and ordered the Mac Mini top of the line with 1GB RAM and 100GB HD upgrades. My shipping estimate was given as 1-3 business days. Therefore I was told shipping would occur by 11/21. Early this morning (2:19am 11/22) I received an email saying:

Due to an unexpected delay, we are unable to ship the following
item(s) by the date that you were originally quoted:

Z0CH, MAC MINI 1.42 SD CTO
will now ship on or before 11/28/2005

So what's up with this? I went into their site this morning and they are still quoting 1-3 business days on the same configuration.

Anyone else in the same boat?

David

GraphicUmp

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2002
Mid Atlantic
I got the same basic email 3 months ago when I ordered my refurb iBook. Despite the email, they had already shipped it and I received it on time.

So that might be totally incorrect...

richjtg

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2005
UK
Bakey said:
Alrighty there Davast; the only thing I can recommend is to head over to http://www.ifoapplestore.com.

Doing so turned up this - and more interestingly take a look here; according to this page [about half way down under "Grand Openings"] the Trafford Centre store is due to open this coming Saturday November 19 th!! Which is nice... ;)

Update :: For all who may be interested, I [like many others no doubt] have just received an e-mail confirming the 9am opening of the Apple Store at the Trafford Centre on Saturday November 19th....

Now then, what's the URL for that 'serial number' checking site?

Don't know if this is any use to you Bakey, but I've just purchased a mini through the online UK Apple store and received an upgraded one. As said previously, it appears that you are more likely to get a 1.5 version if you have something added (in my case more RAM).

Funnily enough I was passing by the Trafford Centre today, but didn't have chance to pop in... as a fellow Yorkshireman, I don't like spending too much time on the wrong side of the Pennines! :)

Bakey

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2003
O Donny Boy
richjtg said:
Don't know if this is any use to you Bakey, but I've just purchased a mini through the online UK Apple store and received an upgraded one. As said previously, it appears that you are more likely to get a 1.5 version if you have something added (in my case more RAM).

Funnily enough I was passing by the Trafford Centre today, but didn't have chance to pop in... as a fellow Yorkshireman, I don't like spending too much time on the wrong side of the Pennines! :)

Thanks for the update richjtg - I'm a little unsure now with the possible Intel Mac's that may [or may not] appear in January. For the sake of some 47 days [oh dear, it's at that stage already!] I think I'm going to wait.

I'm sure you would agree that as a fellow Yorkshireman being "careful with our money" [aka tight!] I'd rather wait and see what happens at this late stage, especially as Apple still haven't 'officially' confirmed the updated 1.3/1.5 minis even on the run up to Chrimbob.... maybe there is some truth in the early Intel intros and I don't mind being a seminal guinea pig either!?!

But... as with all things, come December 10th when the Sheffield Meadowhall store opens I may change my mind and think to hell with it and purchase a mini in-store despite my initial thoughts!!! :rolleyes:

;)

richjtg

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2005
UK
T'was thinking the same things recently before buying my mini. After going through the variables in my head, I just got to the point of thinking "to hell with it" and bought one. :rolleyes:

But as you say, things will soon become clearer... or will they! ;)

md11

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2005
Europe
Where do you check your serials?

GraphicUmp said:
You'll get an email from Apple called "Your Apple Invoice" when it has shipped.

Halfway down or so, below the Item Product Number and description will be your serial number.

You can check it then ;)

I wonder what sites people use to check the equipment they'll get.

The apple support page is not that usefull, the only link I found was that one:
http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html
Any other good sites around?
mdd11

M

madmanuk

Bakey said:
I'm sure you would agree that as a fellow Yorkshireman being "careful with our money" [aka tight!] I'd rather wait and see what happens at this late stage, especially as Apple still haven't 'officially' confirmed the updated 1.3/1.5 minis
;)

I ordered a mini with 1.42GHz / 512mb /superdrive on November 24th from the apple store.

It arrived today, and profiler says its 1.5GHz and display is 64mb.

I am located in SW England

Paul

davidwsica

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2005
davidwsica said:
I took the plunge last Wednesday, 11/16 and ordered the Mac Mini top of the line with 1GB RAM and 100GB HD upgrades. My shipping estimate was given as 1-3 business days. Therefore I was told shipping would occur by 11/21. Early this morning (2:19am 11/22) I received an email saying:

David

I finally received my Mini yesterday. Looks like the upgraded model. However, now I'm drooling over the rumored Intel "TiVo-killer" Mac Mini over at Think Secret...better start getting my eBay auction ready!

David

YunusEmre

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2005
Santa Clara, CA
davidwsica said:
I finally received my Mini yesterday. Looks like the upgraded model. However, now I'm drooling over the rumored Intel "TiVo-killer" Mac Mini over at Think Secret...better start getting my eBay auction ready!

David

So you think the new mini is going to have a cable/RF input, able to control any Sat/Cable settop box and have a 14 day program guide with all the features of a Tivo? I have heard of Tivo killers before. Do not belive in them. My Tivo is staying where it is. My Mac Mini will live in the computer room, not the living room. If I ever bring it to the living room it will be to use it a mobile a computer. Not as a DVR.

md11

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2005
Europe
serial -> model?

md11 said:
I wonder what sites people use to check the equipment they'll get.

The apple support page is not that usefull, the only link I found was that one:
http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html
Any other good sites around?
mdd11

Quoting myself...
I got the serial now; but the chipmunk page says only:
chipmunk said:
Model:
Factory: VM (Czech Republic/Pardubice (Foxconn))code_to_number:

Production year: 2005
Production week: 47 (November)
Production number: 81 (within this week)

We are sorry but we don't have any information on this model yet.
Please enter any (extra) information you have on this model in the box below. (Type of Mac, CPU speed):
Anybody having a link with more information?
md11

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
md11 said:
Quoting myself...
I got the serial now; but the chipmunk page says only:

Anybody having a link with more information?
md11

http://www.apple.com/support/

Lower right of page has a text field for you to enter the serial number and obtain the system details. The section is titled "About your Apple product".

md11

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2005
Europe
updated model

For those who are interested, I opened the box (who can resist?).
It's the upgraded model, so if you order a BTO-Mac in Switzerland you'll most probably get the 1.5 Ghz-model.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
YunusEmre said:
So you think the new mini is going to have a cable/RF input, able to control any Sat/Cable settop box and have a 14 day program guide with all the features of a Tivo? I have heard of Tivo killers before. Do not belive in them. My Tivo is staying where it is. My Mac Mini will live in the computer room, not the living room. If I ever bring it to the living room it will be to use it a mobile a computer. Not as a DVR.

Contrary I do have a firm belief in Apple getting things right when they put their minds to it, not withstanding overpriced hardware of shoddy manufacture.

We have heard of plenty of "iPod killers" before, but look at them now, if anything they have all been killed! Now Apple, let's bring on the TiVo killer!

YunusEmre

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2005
Santa Clara, CA
generik said:
Contrary I do have a firm belief in Apple getting things right when they put their minds to it, not withstanding overpriced hardware of shoddy manufacture.

We have heard of plenty of "iPod killers" before, but look at them now, if anything they have all been killed! Now Apple, let's bring on the TiVo killer!

So you are saying the new mini is going to be able to control my Cable (or Satellite) box?

I too have heard of many Tivo-killers, all turned out to be much-a-do-about-nothing. I am sure Apple is not going to come out with a bad product, but mini is there to entice MS Windows users to switch to mac. Not kill Tivo. To kill Tivo you have to come out with a box that will be useable with any Cable/Sat box, and/or be able to work on a cable network with a Cable-Card slot. And I think Apple would be making a mistake if they turned the mini into a general purpose DVR. Apple may have plans for a media center mac (counterpart for the MS version), but that is no DVR in the sense a Tivo is. Mark my word, Apple is not bringing out a so called Tivo-killer.

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
md11 said:
For those who are interested, I opened the box (who can resist?).
It's the upgraded model, so if you order a BTO-Mac in Switzerland you'll most probably get the 1.5 Ghz-model.
Same in UK - ordered a 1GB BTO - it came with 1.5Ghz / 64MB.

Bakey

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2003
O Donny Boy
Meadowhall Sheffield + 1.5 mini

Morning folks,

Just to confirm that Meadowhall Apple Store is stocking the 1.5 mini... I appreciate that many may think this is a worthless post as there's been so much about their existence, but I [like many others] "just wanted to know".

I checked one of the display machines and low and behold the "About This Mac" dialog box listed it as a 1.5 G4, further investigation into the System Profiler also revealed the 64meg graphics card and a dual layer burner.

Upon asking one of the Apple Store guys if they've many of these machines in stock he said yes; further questioning also revealed that "all" of the alleged 1.4 minis in stock are in-fact 1.5... don't know about the 1.25/1.3 but then again I'm not interested in this particular model!!

Now I'm in a dilemma... do I wait for January and possible Intel updates, or do I say "sod it" and drive that short distance and pick-up a 1.5 just in time for some Christmas playtime?? Decisions, decisions... :rolleyes:

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
Bakey said:
Now I'm in a dilemma... do I wait for January and possible Intel updates, or do I say "sod it" and drive that short distance and pick-up a 1.5 just in time for some Christmas playtime?? Decisions, decisions... :rolleyes:

if you buy now, and they do bring out intel minis in january... you'll be saying worse words than "sod it". Those first intel minis will be a lot faster. i guess ~2 ghz pentium m's, and that will be a hell of a lot faster than the long-in-the-tooth g4s.

md11

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2005
Europe
chaos86 said:
if you buy now, and they do bring out intel minis in january... you'll be saying worse words than "sod it". Those first intel minis will be a lot faster. i guess ~2 ghz pentium m's, and that will be a hell of a lot faster than the long-in-the-tooth g4s.

I quote:
- If you .. and they do
- I guess

I personally bought one as I don't need a pro machine (means I can cope with the G4 1.5) and I already have all the software (I know Rosetta..) and I don't want to be a rev A customer. In about one year when I sold my current mini (if not possible it'll become a server) I'll be in the market for the Intel Rev whatever..

pgschuster

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2005
are all the Macs made in China now?

generik said:
Just curious.. by "in California" do you mean to say these units are made in USA as opposed to China for the "YMSXXXX" Minis??

Any chance that it is possible to get a PB that is made in the USA? :D

I called Apple 1-800-my-apple to ask which Macs are still assembled in the US. One Apple person said all are now made in China. A second Apple person said all are assembled in the US. He could not explain how come on an iBook I just got it says "assembled in China". He was very convinced all were made in the US (I would say he was in denial).

Do you know which Macs are assembled in the US, which are in Taiwan and which are in China?

Thanks,
Paul

Bakey

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2003
O Donny Boy
chaos86 said:

I know you're right! But personally speaking I have a tendency of thinking with my heart rather than my head, ie. I want it... I'm having it!?!

But in this instance the rumours are strong with this one(!) - if the minis aren't updated come January I maybe more inclined to grab the 1.5... either way not long for waiting now!!

:D

DMPDX

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2005
Just picked one up for my parents. I bought the 1.42 and it turned out to be the 1.5 ghz with 64 mb of vram. Tres bien.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
pgschuster said:
I called Apple 1-800-my-apple to ask which Macs are still assembled in the US. One Apple person said all are now made in China. A second Apple person said all are assembled in the US. He could not explain how come on an iBook I just got it says "assembled in China". He was very convinced all were made in the US (I would say he was in denial).

Do you know which Macs are assembled in the US, which are in Taiwan and which are in China?

Thanks,
Paul

"Made in USA" != "Assembled in China"

They can always claim that the logic boards etc comprises of INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY that is created in the USA, and fashioned from ideas into reality in the steaming factories of China :cool:

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
I bought a 1.25Ghz Mac Mini from the Apple Store Online and received one of the updated ones (1.33Ghz). There hasn't been much talk about the low-end model, so I thought I'd share. So for all those wondering about the 1.25Ghz model, go for it.

JOD8FY

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.