Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
BRLawyer said:
I am pretty sure the eMac has been EOL'ed already...it doesn't really fit into Apple's strategy for the Edu market anymore...

How depressing. :( The eMac is a pretty cool computer. a lot cooler than a Mac Mini with a Dell CRT. hmmmm.... maybe Apple will make a Cheap 17" LCD for the Mac Mini

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I was hoping for a Radeon 9550 update for the Mac Mini as they did with the iBook. I would have gotten a Mac Mini to have a monitor ready for a Power Mac later. The video card on the Mini was just to crippled.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Eidorian said:
I was hoping for a Radeon 9550 update for the Mac Mini as they did with the iBook. I would have gotten a Mac Mini to have a monitor ready for a Power Mac later. The video card on the Mini was just to crippled.
I hear you on this. The biggest thing crippling the Mac mini is the lack of a decent graphics sysbsystem. A GPU that supports Core Imaging and enough VRAM to make it useful.

All the current Macs should have core imaging capable GPUs.

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
mad jew said:
Should have been done two months ago. What has Apple got against the mini? Why do they insist on giving it the smallest incremental updates possible. Surely this is suicide from a marketing perspective.

apple's marketing is suicide. how do they expect people to even know the mini exists, let alone gets updated. more tv, more press, more everything.

aueua

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2005
Mac Mini buyout in Switzerland?

Yesterday, I got an ad-email from Valcenter (http://www.valcenter.ch/), a swiss Apple reseller.
In the ad, they pointed to a (already expired) Mac Mini 1.25 GHz limited special offer for CHF 459 (about 360 USD), down from CHF 749 (about 590 USD) the normal price in Switzerland. The offer was limited to 50 Mac Minis only!

Although not officially said, this may indicate they want to dry their stock, at least for the 1.25 GHz model, due to a forthcoming product upgrade.

Cheers!
Aueua

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Hope that an update occurs sooner rather than later. It would entice me to purchase also. Now to see if this back order occurs in the US.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
aueua said:
Yesterday, I got an ad-email from Valcenter (http://www.valcenter.ch/), a swiss Apple reseller.
In the ad, they pointed to a (already expired) Mac Mini 1.25 GHz limited special offer for CHF 459 (about 360 USD), down from CHF 749 (about 590 USD) the normal price in Switzerland. The offer was limited to 50 Mac Minis only!

Although not officially said, this may indicate they want to dry their stock, at least for the 1.25 GHz model, due to a forthcoming product upgrade.

Cheers!
Aueua

I got the same email and almost bought one for my father...alas, the promotion was over less than a day after..!!!

ALL 50 Minis were sold in less than 24 hours.!! It was a great price indeed (and a memory upgrade to 512Mb was just 40 CHF away)...désolé..!!
:(

lickily

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2005
BRLawyer said:
I got the same email and almost bought one for my father...alas, the promotion was over less than a day after..!!!

ALL 50 Minis were sold in less than 24 hours.!! It was a great price indeed (and a memory upgrade to 512Mb was just 40 CHF away)...désolé..!!

I take it these were the 256Mb models then, so yes they were clearing stock, but of the rev.A machines. :rolleyes:

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
lickily said:
I take it these were the 256Mb models then, so yes they were clearing stock, but of the rev.A machines. :rolleyes:

Surely, but a Rev. A Mac Mini with 512 Mb of RAM and a good G4 would be more than enough for my dad (which still uses a crappy Pentium II or whatever), at an unbeatable price...

lickily

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2005
BRLawyer said:
Surely, but a Rev. A Mac Mini with 512 Mb of RAM and a good G4 would be more than enough for my dad (which still uses a crappy Pentium II or whatever), at an unbeatable price...

Agreed, I was only saying that this doesn't really hint at any impending future mini update.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
BRLawyer said:
Yep, you might be right..! But it was a great offer anyway... :eek:

Yes, definitely a great offer. It seemed to be for the quick. Maybe it was just an advertising campaign.

lickily

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2005
BRLawyer said:
Yep, you might be right..! But it was a great offer anyway... :eek:

They cleared the old machines out locally at around US$415, but these were really old units with Panther installed and no tiger upgrade DVD included. Since Apple ended the OS X up-to-date program for tiger a few months ago, it wasn't really a great deal, having to buy the boxed Tiger as well.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
All fine and dandy upgrades.

The main selling point of the mini is the small size and price. Hardly the average consumer will care if it's a 1.25 or 1.33 Ghz chip inside. But since the G4 line is languishing, any update is welcome.

So what were we arguing about?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
G5Unit said:
I also think the emac is a soid computer. They just don't seem to care sometimes. Bad move by apple.

If I had to eliminate one machine, it would be the mini, hands down. emacs are great.

lickily

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2005
Ask and you shall receive :) :

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0509macmini.html

"Mac mini revision ready for quiet update

By Ryan Katz, Senior Editor
September 21, 2005 - A Mac mini update is ready for roll-out just two months after Apple bumped the RAM on the systems and added a SuperDrive model, Think Secret has learned. The systems, which are currently in transit to retailers, were originally slated to roll-out this week but may not appear until next week. No announcement is planned beyond a possible press release.
advertisement

The low-end Mac mini will be upgraded from a 1.25GHz G4 processor to a 1.33GHz G4, while the high-end will see an equally modest bump from 1.42GHz to 1.5GHz. Hard drive capacities are expected to remain the same but will be upgraded from 4,200-rpm drives to 5,400-rpm. The mid-range and high-end models will receive a new AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth module featuring Bluetooth 2.0+EDR. Lastly, the high-end model will see its 4x SuperDrive upgraded to an 8x dual-layer model.

Pricing will remain the same at $499, $599, and $699, sources said."

----

Just goes to show, don't knock page two rumors (or unconfirmed reports), this is the 2nd big rumor (besides the nano) that 'page 2' has scored so far.

Funny, no mention of video card upgrades, I would think it would be a given to match the specs of the ibooks (don't think there are any heat issues for the mini). We'll see. So glad I held off buying. :D

SonComet

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2004
MacSA said:
Please Please Please upgrade the video cards :D :D
I will order one the day they appear in the apple store if the gpu supports core image and has 64mb of ram. Best not get my hopes up though.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I wonder if they'll upgrade the video card but nothing else in a couple months. I doubt it. I don't think the trend of updates every couple months has much of a chance of continuing, but perhaps Apple is using this for practice for when they enter the Intel market.

lickily

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2005
SonComet said:
I will order one the day they appear in the apple store if the gpu supports core image and has 64mb of ram. Best not get my hopes up though.

I think the most likely is a 9550 with 32mb or a 9200 with 64mb, but I doubt both. A 9550 with 64Mb would put it over the specs of the ibook.

Seems like they are doing the most to juggle the specs to maximize margins (they introed this 2 month rev. B just to get rid of leftover parts IMO). So I think they'll match the ibook video card, unless they still have a bin full of 9200's to get rid of.

SonComet

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2004
lickily said:
I think the most likely is a 9550 with 32mb or a 9200 with 64mb, but I doubt both. A 9550 with 64Mb would put it over the specs of the ibook.

Seems like they are doing the most to juggle the specs to maximize margins (they introed this 2 month rev. B just to get rid of leftover parts IMO). So I think they'll match the ibook video card, unless they still have a bin full of 9200's to get rid of.
I would be thrilled it they were using the mini to get rid of excess 12" powerbook parts rather than ibook parts. A 5200 go 64mb would be great.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Thank for the information lickily. Very exciting, now to see what the actual specifications are when they arrive at the stores. Is this upgrade really going to be noticeable for the average user?

lickily

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2005
wdlove said:
Thank for the information lickily. Very exciting, now to see what the actual specifications are when they arrive at the stores. Is this upgrade really going to be noticeable for the average user?

From the real world benchmarks I've seen, the upgrade to the HD will definitely make a noticeable improvement. Its been the real bottleneck so far in mini performance since they upped the RAM. Just see this comparison:

http://www.barefeats.com/mini01c.html

The Hitachi 4K80 and Toshiba are old, slow mini drives. The Seagate 5400 hopefully reflects the kind of performance we'll see in the updated machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.