Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I noticed that there are a few members toward the bottom of the list who apparently turned it on once but have never turned it on again. If they would just contribute, it would help some.

If we start looking like MacCentral or the Apple team...

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
How many computer exactly do we have working on this? Another question that I would like to ask, is if you guys know if a new version of Folding Control is available to work on Jaguar?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
no new version of folding control i know of yet....

i have 2 processors going. one computer

and an imac 700 sometimes. very rarely now. just when i go home

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I haven't seen anything new, although the terminal/shell version works just fine, even for multiple processor machines.

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
I'm putting 5 more Dell 1.7ghz boxes on our team. They're content filters at my work, but are massive overkill for the job.

Should I do the cli client for win2k or the regular one, minimized in the taskbar? I'm wondering if there really is a speed difference between them.

dnte42

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Hopefully within the week I will be back up and running. My computer has been out for 2+ weeks since it decided to lose some system files. As soon as I can recover the data I want I'll be set again. Sigh.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by rugby
I'm putting 5 more Dell 1.7ghz boxes on our team. They're content filters at my work, but are massive overkill for the job.

Should I do the cli client for win2k or the regular one, minimized in the taskbar? I'm wondering if there really is a speed difference between them.

Thanks! It'll make a big difference. I think that's the first time I was glad to have a Dell. :)

With Win2K, I would expect minimal difference although graphical applications always take up something more, even when they're idling.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Well, those 5 dells, will be a nice addition. We might have to take a more intelligent approach and find out what members have the big resources to bring into play and get them on the team.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
i might try taking over the library machines

every little bit helps…

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
I wish they would come out with an alti-vec accelerated client for OS X. It would definitely speed things up for my Mac clients. They're getting wasted by my cheap-o Dual 1.3 ghz Duron computer at home. That thing kicks serious butt.

Heck, next year when we start moving to OS X on our workstations (mainly labs) it would be nice to have a hidden client. I used to have a hidden client on dnetc for OS 9, but it slowed the computers down a LOT. X would definitely multi-task better. I've got 120 eMacs I could throw it on here. Shoot, I've got about 1,000 G3's and higher here, but they're all running 9.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA

Heck, next year when we start moving to OS X on our workstations (mainly labs) it would be nice to have a hidden client. I used to have a hidden client on dnetc for OS 9, but it slowed the computers down a LOT. X would definitely multi-task better. I've got 120 eMacs I could throw it on here. Shoot, I've got about 1,000 G3's and higher here, but they're all running 9.

Damn! That would 1000s of units a week....wow. But I agree with the alti-vec issue. Maybe in version 4. Is there any place we can go and request something from the people at folding@home?

D

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by dukestreet

Damn! That would 1000s of units a week....wow. But I agree with the alti-vec issue. Maybe in version 4. Is there any place we can go and request something from the people at folding@home?

D
This would probably be the best place.

…as for altivec, they won't have it til they switch their core to gromacs. Then the mac teams would rise in rank significantly.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Originally posted by bousozoku
At least, we're back to position 41, for the moment. :)

Yeah, I played my part! Im folding like mad recently and made Folding a startup item. Its great for DSL flatrate!

But I had to skip SETI, it was slowing me down a LOT. :rolleyes:

Which one is now faster? Commandline or GUI version? Is it significant?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
It's going to be a long haul to pass the next couple of teams...3000 points or so...

And with a couple of teams approaching from behind...

If our eMac lab ever comes in we'll have another 30 or so machines to add. :D

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
Rower, when you get your eMac lab in check all the computers for a snapping video problem. We had 120 eMacs come in and we're sending roughly 60 back to Apple (I personally know the head of iMac Support at Apple). Anyways, what happens is that when the eMacs are powered on the video makes a snapping sound and flashes on and off. It's rather disturbing, especially when kids are using these computers. Apple's discussion boards are filled with complaints about this, so they're probably fixed it by now. Just wanted to warn you to check this out.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
We should recruit teabgs, now that he's got his new dual 1.25.....he won't be rendering all the time.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Hmm, I did a couple of units for Folding. However, I decided that until it used my G4's altivec I would not start again. Any progress on that front? I have a Dual 1Ghz so could do a fair amount!

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Rower, when you get your eMac lab in check all the computers for a snapping video problem. We had 120 eMacs come in and we're sending roughly 60 back to Apple (I personally know the head of iMac Support at Apple). Anyways, what happens is that when the eMacs are powered on the video makes a snapping sound and flashes on and off. It's rather disturbing, especially when kids are using these computers. Apple's discussion boards are filled with complaints about this, so they're probably fixed it by now. Just wanted to warn you to check this out.

Thanks for the info! I will definitely look for that.

It's still going to be a month or two before we might get them...hopefully there's a rev before then.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by Falleron
Hmm, I did a couple of units for Folding. However, I decided that until it used my G4's altivec I would not start again. Any progress on that front? I have a Dual 1Ghz so could do a fair amount!

Ummm...bad attitude. You could do a fair amount, full stop. The code might never be AltiVec-enhanced and we're certainly not in control. :) Contribute anyway, please.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Ok, I have downloaded the console version + am running 1 copy on my machine. I'll start doing my bit for the Folding team.

flanders

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Atlanta, GA
I've been running flat out on an IBM 800Mhz and a Dell 550. I'm going to add a 4 processor Compaq server on Monday and perhaps a second if that one works well. Gotta get our score up!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.