Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by mc68k
Folding takes the idle power of your CPU and folds with it. You won't notice any slowdown with it running.

If you quit folding, it stops folding at the last frame that was completed. 100 frames=1 WU. When you start folding back up, it will start folding at the frame it left off at.

oh, ok.....But I had 60% of one done and then it started it over......but the next time it started where it left off.........weird

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I'm on my way up the group page! Just passed another person! Sorry whoever that was.

mr.w

macrumors regular
May 17, 2002
Colorado
I thought my computer would be faster... I began folding last week on my new duak 1ghz DDR and only have .6 points and 1 WU (by the way what does WU stand for ?) How can i optimize my performance??? It seems like is has been running at least 8 hours a day. Is this expected?

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by mr.w
I thought my computer would be faster... I began folding last week on my new duak 1ghz DDR and only have .6 points and 1 WU (by the way what does WU stand for ?) How can i optimize my performance??? It seems like is has been running at least 8 hours a day. Is this expected?
WU is a work unit. It's a specified amount of folding on a protein. Some WU are worth more than others, becuase of the amount of CPU time they require.

The faster the WU is completed, the less processor time it accrued, therefore it's worth less.

Proteins can take a long time to fold. The core of folding does not take advantage of multimedia enhancements on processors, so the real measure is the MHz rating of the processor(s).

Also, the stats are not instant. Depending on what's happening on the folding side at Stanford, it can take a while to show up on thier statistics. They main key to folding, is just to be patient and let your computer fold as much as possible. Every little bit helps our team.

As with your specific situation, if you have dual processors, the folding app does not take advantage of them by default. If you want to fold on both of them, you'll need a script or some Unix know-how. If anyone's interested, let me know, I'll be glad to help you out. (maybe I'll just make a thread for this in the future).

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Re: Re: Almost 100

Originally posted by pimentoLoaf

osX runs fine on a g3 -- but Jaguar has a notice that it doesn't run on some g3 systems. Dunno what's going on for that to be so.

I think my antique system, a powerMac 6100/66 with 16mb RAM, is too inadequate for the task. :(

Sure, that's a NuBus machine. It was one of earlier PowerPC models...the 60 was earlier, of course. The one I'm wanting to convert is a PCI Mac Clone--a PowerComputing PowerCenter for which G3 upgrade cards and the wedge/firmware update is available to allow it to run Mac OS X, even if it's 10.1.5. It's a matter of money, rather than capability. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.