Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Most wanted?

• Assassins Creed

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Alan Wake

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Halo 3

Votes: 28 35.9%
  • Bio Shock

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Half-Life : the orange box

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Fable 2

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Mass effect

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • GTA IV

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • These all suck, but I want to be heard damn it!

Votes: 6 7.7%

• Total voters

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
I'm just going off my experience here. Anytime I'm at someone's place that had an Xbox back in the day we'd always either do coop or vs or get online. Online actually last of the options. Now it's replaced with Gears or Vegas for the most part with folks I know.

I can't name one person that's saying, "man I can't wait for Halo 3 and the conclusion to that awesome story"...I have heard "new graphics look sick", "online should rock", "what new vehicles", etc...

For those playing fps video games more for the story might I suggest classic books :D much better stories there.

Paul

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Right, so Half Life wasn't celebrated for it's story. Or Unreal for providing a seamless story. Deus Ex? Halo 2's cliffhanger is the biggest criticism I've heard for the game (along with ugly texture loading).

I don't think you know there are 2 subcategories for FPS - brainless ones such as Doom, Duke, Quake and ones that have a story and world that unfolds throughout the game.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
Really? Unreal? That was a pretty standard fps storyline. It was mildly interesting for sure, but you can't say that it was quality. Just because games stand out from the pack doesn't mean the leap is made to their being quality stories. Maybe quality game stories. Half Life had a story which allowed some really strong gameplay, but it was the gameplay that drew me in...I could care less about the aliens or govt workers or anything like that.

If they were really good stories they'd be made into movies instead.

Paul

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The Darkness!!!!

Yeah this does look very promising. But I'm not going to get my hopes up - so they can be dashed. Prey looked promising too, but after the first hour - it pretty much fell into bland generic shooter teritory. I hope the Darkness doesn't suffer the same fate, however it is by Starbreeze and their titles have been pretty good for the most part.

Anorak

macrumors regular
May 29, 2007
My most anticipated is BioShock.

Halo 3's multiplayer beta was a complete disappointment - it felt like Halo 2, just with a few new weapons and vehicles, and some minor graphical improvements. Bungie said that over the next few months that Halo 3 will undergo "graphical improvements", but in 3 months there is not much more they can do. I'm hoping that Halo 3's single player far exceeds my expectations, because right now, my interest in the game is low.

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
I'd doubt that, I'd imagine the majority of 360 owners play single-player exclusively.

I don't have exact figures, but even the total number of Xbox Live subscribers looks low to me, and many of those may never have played a multiplayer game.

Last figure I heard was 6 million live subscribers. And I believe just over 10 million people own a 360.

XNine

macrumors 68040
I've boycotted Bungie as they obviously don't care about their gamers one bit. They refused to take any real action when modding was being done on online matches, and thus will never get another dime from me.

I am looking forward to BioShock and Assassin's Creed, however. Just as well, I'd really like to see how Army of Two and Call of Duty 4: Modern Combat turn out. Both look refreshing (one from a play-style, the other from a complete makeover of the series).

j3tang

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2006
Toronto, Canada
I'm soooooo looking forward to Blue Dragon when it come out in english this summer :)

the 360 is really seriously lacking in RPG games .. and this is a must have for me :)

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
I've boycotted Bungie as they obviously don't care about their gamers one bit. They refused to take any real action when modding was being done on online matches, and thus will never get another dime from me.

I am looking forward to BioShock and Assassin's Creed, however. Just as well, I'd really like to see how Army of Two and Call of Duty 4: Modern Combat turn out. Both look refreshing (one from a play-style, the other from a complete makeover of the series).

Personally, I think you are completely wrong there. They've been pretty active with banning cheaters, but when you have a game that is played as much as Halo, do you really think solutions are going to happen overnight?

BS and AC do look awesome though, hoping they live up to expectation.

XNine

macrumors 68040
Personally, I think you are completely wrong there. They've been pretty active with banning cheaters, but when you have a game that is played as much as Halo, do you really think solutions are going to happen overnight?

BS and AC do look awesome though, hoping they live up to expectation.

You and I have gone a few rounds on his subject before. And whether you think I'm right or wrong, I have lots of reason why I am right. 1. Microsoft issued a patch the day before Halo 2 was debuted, and this kicked anyone off of XBL who had a modded box that had been set up on XBL before it was modded (because they matched the HDD and motherboard numbers in a database.)

2. Since that time, Bungie has not released a patch to fix bridging or softmods, which is a very, very easy patch to release, especially if you're a multi-million dollar company, back by a multi-billion dollar company.

3. H2 was released three years ago. In three years, a patch should have been available.

So, basically, you think I'm wrong because you're telling me that in 3 years time, they couldn't muster the resources to release a patch for this? I think that's the biggest farce I've heard in the gaming industry since "Duke Nukem Forever." The truth is, Bungie has our money, they could care less what happens from that point forward.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
I'll just have to agree with Jimmi on this one, shooters need to be atmospheric, immersing and overall have a good game world and story, shooters are one of the few genres where graphics and art style matters a LOT.

I'm not sure why Halo is THAT popular not that is bad but people could be idolatrizing and playing many other better FPS gameplay wise out there.

Anyways, I don't even understand how console fps got so popular, PCs are definitely the best platform for shooters for 2 reasons, 1) PCs are more powerful and graphics DO matter for shooters and 2) PCs have superior control for FPS and frantic, precise, fast as hell shooters, like Jimmi said, HL2 Xbox probably won't be as good as PC HL2.

But I digress.

XNine

macrumors 68040
I'll just have to agree with Jimmi on this one, shooters need to be atmospheric, immersing and overall have a good game world and story, shooters are one of the few genres where graphics and art style matters a LOT.

I'm not sure why Halo is THAT popular not that is bad but people could be idolatrizing and playing many other better FPS gameplay wise out there.

Anyways, I don't even understand how console fps got so popular, PCs are definitely the best platform for shooters for 2 reasons, 1) PCs are more powerful and graphics DO matter for shooters and 2) PCs have superior control for FPS and frantic, precise, fast as hell shooters, like Jimmi said, HL2 Xbox probably won't be as good as PC HL2.

But I digress.

I don't agree. I have perfect control on shooters on consoles. And let's not forget that Half Life is made for PC's and not consoles. Halo, Lost Planet, etc. are all made for the console first. I've never, NEVER like the control of a keyboard for games. too many buttons, too much hassle. Give me a controller and I can spank people. This is personal preference, but again, which platform is was amde for really counts when it comes to control mechanisms.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
Halo 3 is the top of my list. I have been looking for a reason to get on Live and get back into practice. GTA IV is followed very closely. I like the atmosphere that it's heading towards. Mass Effect is then next on the list. Can't turn down Bioware. I've been following them since Baulders Gate.

Also you can't forget Call of Duty 4 and the New Splinter Cell game. I have to say, from what I have seen, they both look amazing.

Fezwick

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
Rhode Island
I'd have to say Bioshock is my most anticipated game for the 360 right now. It looks incredible and looks to be a huge change from the run of the mill FPS. All the people talking in this thread about having an immersive world and a great storyline in an FPS game should really check it out.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT

But I digress.

I'm sure that PC's might be better for FPS, but I think many people (including myself) are pretty good with a controller on a console. We might not be as good as someone on a PC, but I am perfectly happy with the sensitivity and accuracy I am able to obtain with a controller. I never really got into FPS's until I got an XBox, mostly because I didn't want to $1000 for a gaming rig. I would rather spend $300-$400 on a console and put the extra money into games. Also, while consoles might not be as powerful as PC's, developers can optimize their game for the console because all the specs are the same and can squeeze every bit of potential out of the system instead up having to create minimium requirements. But that is just me and I know lots of people who hate playing shooters on a console for your reasons.

doctor newb

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2007
PC, not the computer
The three that im most likely to buy are grand theft auto, half life orange box, and maybe assassins creed if the demos good...... some people might disagree with me but i think portal looks pretty sick.... oh and I didnt list halo because i ordered it online in november...

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
2 days to go -(or in stock at Play.com) i take it you will be picking up a copy :)

see you out there

Oh yes, have you played the Demo? Fantastic.

As for Halo 3, I'm a little backwards. I don't enjoy the Online Multi-Player at all (Which I guess is why I aint played the Beta more than once) but I love the Single Player and the Split screen multi with friends.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.