Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Quote: "Shouldn't this be higher as well since the Studio Display has 3.2 Gen2 usb-c ports (up to 10Gb/s)?"
The problem is the bandwidth of the cable from the Mac to the display.
The 5K video signal takes a significant part of the bandwidth. (As per the Thunderbolt spec).
With non-Apple cables you might only get USB 2 speeds, but with an active cable that can go up to USB 3.
But not USB 3.2 Gen 2.

Last edited:

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
I got the 980 Pro and the same enclosure. Getting the same speeds when connected directly to my MacBook Pro. But only ~500mb/s when connected via the Studio Display.
Shouldn't this be higher as well since the Studio Display has 3.2 Gen2 usb-c ports (up to 10Gb/s)?
I get the same speed I posted above whether it's connected to my Studio Ultra or a Studio Display.

tpage

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2023
The Samsung 980 Pro needs a firmware update to boot better in an Acasis thunderbolt enclosure under Sonoma. It doesn't work well at this moment. Boot time more than 3 minutes and beachballs after login when opening an app.
Where did you find this firmware update? My Samsung 980PRO and Acasis enclosure stopped mounting or just becomes unresponsive. Thanks

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
@Feek Still happy with the enclosures? I've exactly the same NVMe's currently in USB-C 3.2 Sabrent enclosures.

Did you compare in your research the Orico also?

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Both! I've got the same combo twice, one for CCC backup and one for external storage :)
Same, twice also for onsite and offsite clones, but with Sabrent 10Gbps enclosures. I was hoping you'd say you're also using Super Duper (SD) to let me know of the copy speeds you get with those Acisis enclosures.

Mine start off with 30,000 MB/s and drop, settle to 5000 MB/s toward the end. I'm still trying to decide if the speed difference would justify the extra costs of the 40Gbps. And I've just seen that they've risen in price from €110 to €135 so it's food for thought.

Perhaps I'll see if they drop again, buy two and return one of the Sabrent's, keep the other one for TM, where speed really is irrelevant. Those Acisis's do look nice though and would match well with the speeds of the 990's. Perhaps I'll also email Shirt Pocket (SD) to make sure there isn't any speed limitation going on first.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Mine start off with 30,000 MB/s and drop, settle to 5000 MB/s toward the end.
The only time I paid attention to the data transfer rate was on the initial CCC backup and I can't tell you what the actual speed was but but CCC draws a little graph and throughout the entire backup, the rate stayed constant.

I get a daily email saying how much data has copied, I took a screenshot of one of them.

HTB7k61.png

Another one was 101.28Gb in 1 minute 48 seconds and there's clearly some overhead in there because it's never below 1m 9s, even if it's only doing 15Gb of data.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
The only time I paid attention to the data transfer rate was on the initial CCC backup and I can't tell you what the actual speed was but but CCC draws a little graph and throughout the entire backup, the rate stayed constant.

I get a daily email saying how much data has copied, I took a screenshot of one of them.

HTB7k61.png

Another one was 101.28Gb in 1 minute 48 seconds and there's clearly some overhead in there because it's never below 1m 9s, even if it's only doing 15Gb of data.
That's some insane speeds and I think it took the same time for me to "only" copy 15 GB. The Devs of Super Duper just replied too and confirmed that there's no limitation to their software. It basically goes as fast as the OS and Hardware allows. Thanks for those stats too.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
@Feek and @ovbacon did you also consider the version with a wee little fan for active cooling? It's the (TBU405PRO M1), vs the named NVME that you both have.

Last edited:

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
did you also consider the version with a wee little fan for active cooling?
I did not, I like it to be as quiet in here as possible so an extra fan wouldn't be good for me. The big ugly heatsink is perfect for me.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I did not, I like it to be as quiet in here as possible so an extra fan wouldn't be good for me. The big ugly heatsink is perfect for me.
What about a built in heatsink? This looks interesting, not sold on Amazon (as yet), but why would it need OWC's software? Or did I understand it incorrectly?

Edit: looks huge compared to the Acasis and similar form factors.

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love
What about a built in heatsink? This looks interesting, not sold on Amazon (as yet), but why would it need OWC's software? Or did I understand it incorrectly?

Edit: looks huge compared to the Acasis and similar form factors.

It's on Amazon now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CPYQPCVP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2W0TEJ3MK1XP5&th=1

Reactions: Alpha Centauri

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
It doesn't matter to me, mine are out of sight under the desk so their ugliness is irrelevant. My cooling is probably better :)
Yes indeed you're all set. Those OWC units aren't available in DE, I've got those enclosures coming that you have and they'll be for cloning. Currently am using Sabrent m.2 USB-C enclosures instead.

Heat: So put a 990Pro 4TB in said Sabrent and it got silly hot (that's my metric) whilst trying with TM, thinking it will be speed limited/ resource poor with TM (as by design) and adequate with a slim enclosure but it transferred 500GB in >20 min on the initial set up. But it stayed hot after this also for a while. Weird. No new firmware on that one so will see when the time comes.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
@Feek hi. I see the Acasis comes with a .5 and 1.0 mm thermal pads. With the 990Pro, did you just use the 1.0 mm or both, stacked on top of each other aka 1.5mm? I noticed that perhaps the inner lid cutout for them doesn't quite line up. So installed the pad first on the SSD and then fitted the lid.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.