Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I have a brand new Samsung 990 4TB sitting on my desk. Got several external drives so not sure what to do with it just yet, but will most likely pick up the OWC Express 1M2, since it would sit nicely next to the OWC Thunderblade stack I have - if only they did the 1M2 in black to match ;) ......

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Bit of an update after using the 990 Pro's in the Acasis TB enclosure with Super Duper and Time Machine.

Happy with the two 2TB cloning use, as this combination absolutely flies through this, they don't even have a chance of getting slightly warm and get unplugged straight after.

Now, the 4TB I use with Time Machine is another matter. The backups are thus far quick and short but the enclosure get's quite warm to hot whilst plugged in and idling after TM does its thing, this does concern me somewhat as ideally I'd like to leave it plugged into the MBP. Has anyone else found this to be an issue and why would this occur whilst the SSD isn't being written or read to/ from? It's just getting power really. I know it's a high performance drive but it's effectively only plugged in. I realise very warm to hot is subjective but I've no way to measure the actual temperatures.

Cheers.

PS I sent all three SSD's to Samsung to have the latest Firmware applied. The 4TB (also new) failed one of their tests and was returned to me with a brand new one.
PPS All drives formatted as APFS encrypted.

Last edited:

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
During a large copy, it gets proper hot (and yes, I do have the thermal pad making contact with both the drive and the case). At idle, it feels quite warm.

So at 01:30 this morning, I ordered this heatsink. It said Sunday delivery when I ordered but it turned up at 14:00 today. Superb service by Amazon.

I've fixed it to the enclosure nice and tightly with just a couple of cable ties, I don't have any thermal pad between them.

DPRLSDo.jpeg

cwCErSI.jpeg

My Studio is mounted under my desk and the drive is plugged into the back and sitting on some stuff stacked up under my desk. It's not visible.

The difference is incredible, that extra heatsink means it's barely warm to the touch at idle and during a large copy, it warms up by three or four degrees, nothing more. I have an IR thermometer gun which is what I used to check the temperature.

It's not pretty but as I can't see it, I don't care. For the sake of less than six quid, this was well worth it.
Acasis with a thermal Pad between cooler and case. The material of the pad ensures a sufficient holding effect for the heat sink. Bring down my 970 Pro from 64 to 55 °C.
IMG_2469.jpg

Last edited:

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I own Satechi, not Acasis.
I bought the OWC directly from their US site.
Here are the OWC on the left, and Satechi on the other side. Hopefully these pics help. View attachment 2325571

View attachment 2325568

View attachment 2325569

View attachment 2325570
You've said already not having an Acacias but Satachi instead. Are you finding the OWC 1M2 enclosure running quite noticeably cooler?

I'm just revisiting this enclosure for TM use, if it's plugged in for a lengthy time. It's odd that these NVMe's get quite warm just simply mounted but not reading/ writing.

Feek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
I'm just revisiting this enclosure for TM use, if it's plugged in for a lengthy time. It's odd that these NVMe's get quite warm just simply mounted but not reading/ writing.
I found the same. That's part of the reason for the mah00sive heatsink I added. I don't think it's out of spec, it's just that they do seem to run warm, even at idle.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
I found the same. That's part of the reason for the mah00sive heatsink I added. I don't think it's out of spec, it's just that they do seem to run warm, even at idle.
Thanks for confirming this. It appears to reach higher temps irrespective if one drive is attached to TM or another just sits idle when mounted on the desktop. But also not immediately. I think mine got noticeably hotter (then stayed at that temp) after about two hours of merely being mounted.

My two Super Duper SSD's in the Acasis I'll hang onto to as the current backups only take mere minutes. The one dedicated for TM I will send back. I've today ordered the OWC 1m2 enclosure but there's no stock, so it will be 5 weeks or so till it arrives. Amazon.de sporadically sells the enclosures but then always with a SSD pre-fitted, never by itself. So I'll have to wait for a supplier to get some and be sent to me from the other side of the country.

I'll report back how the OWC handles the 990Pro on the temperature front.

Reactions: vader_slri
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.