Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juanefny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
Spokane, WA
I needed to get a new iPad and a new lap top. So instead I'm thinking of getting the Pro and keeping the laptop for things like printing etc. Will there be a mouse one can buy to use on the iPad Pro in the office?

engineerben

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Greenville Tx
I needed to get a new iPad and a new lap top. So instead I'm thinking of getting the Pro and keeping the laptop for things like printing etc. Will there be a mouse one can buy to use on the iPad Pro in the office?
'Fraid not. It's touch-first, touch-only, in fact. But the pencil looks pretty cool as a precision pointing device.

Reactions: AJsAWiz

engineerben

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Greenville Tx
And I know it may be an odd question, but I had read reports that it may support mouse accessories.
There were reports in these fora that some people had jailbroken IOS devices to use pointing devices. I don't doubt it's possible but I wonder at the actual utility.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
There were reports in these fora that some people had jailbroken IOS devices to use pointing devices. I don't doubt it's possible but I wonder at the actual utility.
The ability to use bluetooth on jailbroken iOS devices have been around since the original iPad. I've used it in the past and it has worked wonderfully. But relying on jailbreaks for a key function in the long run is not enjoyable. I've used it on my Android tablets as well (supported natively by Android no need for jailbreak/root).

As with physical keyboards and multiwindow, usefulness of a trackpad/mouse on an iPad will only be fully understood by a person when they have the opportunity to use it in real world scenarios. Many get emotionally agitated at the thought of people using physical keyboards on an iPad, but there is an entire sub-market for keyboards and keyboard covers. These same people thumbed their nose at the usefulness of multiwindow support in iOS, but now that it is here with iOS 9, they are able to experience the usefulness (and limitations) for themselves... often changing their original opinion.

The same will be true for mouse/trackpad support. I believe that Apple will eventually add support for it, I have reason to believe it will be soon and not limited to the iPad Pro. (no update to the hardware is required)

DISCLAIMER: This is my personal opinion. No one should make a purchasing decision based on this opinion.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
The ability to use bluetooth on jailbroken iOS devices have been around since the original iPad. I've used it in the past and it has worked wonderfully. But relying on jailbreaks for a key function in the long run is not enjoyable. I've used it on my Android tablets as well (supported natively by Android no need for jailbreak/root).

As with physical keyboards and multiwindow, usefulness of a trackpad/mouse on an iPad will only be fully understood by a person when they have the opportunity to use it in real world scenarios. Many get emotionally agitated at the thought of people using physical keyboards on an iPad, but there is an entire sub-market for keyboards and keyboard covers. These same people thumbed their nose at the usefulness of multiwindow support in iOS, but now that it is here with iOS 9, they are able to experience the usefulness (and limitations) for themselves... often changing their original opinion.

The same will be true for mouse/trackpad support. I believe that Apple will eventually add support for it, I have reason to believe it will be soon and not limited to the iPad Pro. (no update to the hardware is required)

DISCLAIMER: This is my personal opinion. No one should make a purchasing decision based on this opinion.

Based on that opinion, i've decided to go ahead and purchase :)

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio

Why would someone want a mouse with a tablet computer? It's a touch screen device.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Why would someone want a mouse with a tablet computer? It's a touch screen device.

If it's in your lap, and you're using the onscreen keyboard, you can easily use your finger to move the cursor, make a text selection, select icons etc

But if it is sitting on a table using a physical keyboard (official Apple or other Bluetooth) and you're typing away, it would be a real pain to have to constantly lean forward and tap the screen with your finger. The iPad would wobble and it is just uncomfortable. I've tried using a BT keyboard with word before and while the typing was much nicer than the onscreen keyboard, needing to tap tap tap on the screen was just horrible so I don't bother anymore. Tapping an icon is annoying enough but selecting text is a nightmare!

mattoligy

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2010
Cloud 9
One of the best implementations of a software mouse on iOS was the one built in to the Photoshop Touch app on the iPad! So useful.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
One of the best implementations of a software mouse on iOS was the one built in to the Photoshop Touch app on the iPad! So useful.

Sounds interesting. Too bad it's not available anymore.
"Adobe has announced that it will remove Photoshop Touch for iPhone and iPad from the App Store and other platforms on May 28."

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008

For years then anyone who dared to say "I wish the MacBook got TouchScreen" were met with a hostile "Mouse is better than touch, dummy!" response. And now here we are with an iPad that would clearly be more productive with mouse support and the reaction is "Its Touchscreen, it doesn't need a mouse!".

Seriously. Whats with this idea that adding one input REPLACES another? Keyboard, Mouse, Touch, Voice. All of these things can (and should) exist as input OPTIONS. Sure, you can write a novel with an on-screen keyboard or scroll through photos with a mouse or edit video clips with a finger. But if better input methods exist then why are some people so against with having them exist on the product you are currently using?

Anyway, I agree that getting mouse support on the iPad Pro would do wonders in increasing the iPad Pro's versatility and productivity. But I just don't expect Apple to do it because their primary goal nowadays is to sell products that almost do everything you want so that you will buy a companion product that does whats missing (and creates another gap that needs to be filled).

Reactions: Juanefny

Newbie67

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2015

If you utilize Citrix you can use a BT mouse within the Citrix environment without jail breaking it. The device is called the Citrix X1 mouse.

https://www.citrix.com/products/mouse/overview.html

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
For years then anyone who dared to say "I wish the MacBook got TouchScreen" were met with a hostile "Mouse is better than touch, dummy!" response. And now here we are with an iPad that would clearly be more productive with mouse support and the reaction is "Its Touchscreen, it doesn't need a mouse!".

Seriously. Whats with this idea that adding one input REPLACES another? Keyboard, Mouse, Touch, Voice. All of these things can (and should) exist as input OPTIONS. Sure, you can write a novel with an on-screen keyboard or scroll through photos with a mouse or edit video clips with a finger. But if better input methods exist then why are some people so against with having them exist on the product you are currently using?

Anyway, I agree that getting mouse support on the iPad Pro would do wonders in increasing the iPad Pro's versatility and productivity. But I just don't expect Apple to do it because their primary goal nowadays is to sell products that almost do everything you want so that you will buy a companion product that does whats missing (and creates another gap that needs to be filled).
I agree. But I DO think that Apple will add support for Bluetooth mice, and maybe relatively soon. There are a few factors that might contribute to that decision... perhaps the strongest one will be as work gets underway to distribute the iPad Pro in quantity to Fortune 500 companies like IBM. The iPad Pro could be a real winner simply as a device to "remote in" to a virtual image...which would require a mouse to be viable. That's in addition to the other scenarios suitable for the iPP with mouse support.

Mouse support via a jailbreak and an app worked extremely well when I used it. It won't be difficult for Apple to slip that in... no hardware changes required.

Reactions: Juanefny

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008

Use Case 1: using the iPad with the touch cover. Every time you want to scroll on a web page, email, etc. you need to reach up and touch the screen. Imagine having to do that on your laptop and you might be disappointed.

Use Case 2: lets say you want to run MS Excel on your Pro (which was shown during the iPad Pro event). Imagine having to edit individual cells by touch only. No thanks.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe

Ipad standing on the table while typing with a bt keyboard.

Airplay / screen mirroring / attached to a larger screen and using a bt keyboard.

Editing photos for example. How do you use a lassotool when your finger is blocking you to see what you are selecting...

Doing whatever presentation/editing. To select something is horrible by fingers - because you cant see through your flesh...

Juanefny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
Spokane, WA
So I went and got the iPad Pro this am at my local Apple store. So far, I gotta say that I have not missed having a keyboard. Pretty happy with the touch functionality!

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
Mice are slow, constantly getting lost on the desktop and inefficient for a lot of things. Direct pointing devices are more efficient and if you can get pixel point accuracy, it is more accurate. For those asking about doing something on screen like lasso or point-based editing, that's why active digitizers and digitizer pens are out now.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
This question keeps coming up and I even heard customers at an Apple store asking about it amongst themselves. How can there be a mouse when there isn't even a pointer?

Last edited:
Reactions: chabig
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.