Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
This question keeps coming up and I even heard customers at an Apple store asking about it amongst themselves. How can there be a mouse when there isn't even a pointer?

the addition of a mouse would create it's own pointer ;)

yes, it's a touch device. so use your finger, but where's the harm in letting mouse people plug in a mouse too if wanted? why should the twain ever meet and argue about it? if you want a mouse then have one, if you dont then dont have one. why an issue? why argue?

Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

yes, it's a touch device. so use your finger, but where's the harm in letting mouse people plug in a mouse too if wanted? why should the twain ever meet and argue about it? if you want a mouse then have one, if you dont then dont have one. why an issue? why argue?
The emotional responses to physical keyboards and/or mice is one of those eternal mysteries... like "how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie-Pop?" ;)

Reactions: sjleworthy

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
whats a Tootsie-Pop? :p

you're right though, people's personal choice of accessories is most personal. as i say, i cant see the harm in putting in the option for both those who want and those who dont want. all problems solved with both being winners :)

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Editing photos for example. How do you use a lassotool when your finger is blocking you to see what you are selecting...

Doing whatever presentation/editing. To select something is horrible by fingers - because you cant see through your flesh...

Really, everything a power user might want to do except graphics is horrible with finger touch on a tablet. Thats why the MS hybrid approach makes sense: pen and finger for graphics, mouse and trackpad for office, spreadsheet, and 3d.

Reactions: sracer

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009

There's a LOT of harm. Because...if you allow a mouse and pointer, then developers will start creating apps that need the pinpoint accuracy of a mouse, to the detriment of people who want to use their fingers. Apps that are optimized for a finger will be inconsistent with one that is optimized for a mouse and vice versa. This is with regards to both the UI elements (buttons, sliders, etc) as well as interactivity (swipes, gestures, etc). Too many choices with regards to design leads to inconsistency, which leads to complexity, which leads to a poor user experience.

Last edited:

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
There's a LOT of harm. Because...if you allow a mouse and pointer, then developers will start creating apps that need the pinpoint accuracy of a mouse, to the detriment of people who want to use their fingers. Apps that are optimized for a finger will be inconsistent with one that is optimized for a mouse and vice versa. This is with regards to both the UI elements (buttons, sliders, etc) as well as interactivity (swipes, gestures, etc). Too many choices with regards to design leads to inconsistency, which leads to complexity, which leads to a poor user experience.

I respectfully disagree. Apps optimised for fingers work with pin point accuracy with the pencil. Infact, i use my pencil as a pseudo mouse almost. I think the inconsistency issue isnt an issue. No reason why a mouse cant be plugged in and it's pointer appears on screen as if a finger. Ok, so not all finger/mouse operations are interchangable, but i dont think this is a nightmare or headache.
Im sure if or when mouse/pointer control is introduced the system will quickly differentiate between the 2 and act accordingly automatically.

Last edited:

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
There's a LOT of harm. Because...if you allow a mouse and pointer, then developers will start creating apps that need the pinpoint accuracy of a mouse, to the detriment of people who want to use their fingers.

Touch isn't as effective as pointer for any productivity app--except graphics. Anyone want to build a complicated spread sheet using touch? Edit video? page layout? People want it use their fingers can stick with consumption apps and games.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
That's a strawman argument. There have been hardware keyboards for the iPad since day-1. Remember Apple's keyboard dock for the iPad 1? The availability of a physical keyboard didn't produce apps that took advantage of keyboard shortcuts that were more viable on a physical keyboard. Apple produces the Pencil. It is capable of navigating iOS and apple isn't concerned about compromising the touch interface. That's because it is unfounded.

Reactions: rowspaxe

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Touch isn't as effective as pointer for any productivity app--except graphics. Anyone want to build a complicated spread sheet using touch? Edit video? page layout? People want it use their fingers can stick with consumption apps and games.

Admittedly, I only use spreadsheets for the most basic things, but why does one need a mouse to create / edit a spreadsheet? I can't ever remember anything that needed a mouse while using Excel on my pc. Perhaps there are advanced functions that need a mouse? If so, could you give some examples?

As for editing video and page layout, I dislike using a mouse for those. I prefer it when programs allow me to enter numbers -- like I want to be able to select a video from 1:30:33 to 1:35:44 and move that segment to 0:00:33. Same idea with page layout. I find that much more precise than using a mouse to try to move things around. So I hope tablet apps would eventually provide that option, to position objects by entering numbers.

engineerben

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Greenville Tx
Part of the reason there is a dearth of touch first apps on the Surface platform is because plain vanilla Windows binaries run just fine there. Why bother with a tablet-oriented app when the desktop-oriented app works 'fine.' Hey, it gives a crummy tablet experience, but it's the Photoshop/Word/Excel/Powerpoint everybody knows and loves (well, knows, at least) and there's no new development NRE. Any additional revenue from sales to users of the Surface platform is just gravy. So every Surface has to have a pointing device - desktop Windows demands it.

Now, the iPad. Even if there were a pointer (mouse, trackpad), desktop OS X applications wouldn't run directly on it (wrong CPU core) without at least recompilation. If developers want to participate in the iPad ecosystem, they have to come up with customized apps. Customization might be as simple as recompilation for the iPad platform, but more than likely it's more complex than that.

Don't forget, too, that Apple has the keys to the iPad universe in the form of the app store. If you don't build your app to their liking, they'll keep it out of the store. So even if Apple natively enabled a pointer, the app store czars would still have the power to keep anything out of the iPad orbit that didn't provide a satisfactory touch-first experience, if that was their desire.

Now, having said that, I have to wonder if Apple might have something else up their sleeve. The Pencil is an interesting device, and may point to a future where it, and not a mouse/trackpad, is the precision pointing device. That still doesn't help the upright-screen use case (much better served by a trackpad/mouse), but I have to wonder if Apple's reluctance to enable a more "desktop-ish" experience with a pointing device might be because they know something better is in the works.

Reactions: Night Spring

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Now, having said that, I have to wonder if Apple might have something else up their sleeve. The Pencil is an interesting device, and may point to a future where it, and not a mouse/trackpad, is the precision pointing device. That still doesn't help the upright-screen use case (much better served by a trackpad/mouse), but I have to wonder if Apple's reluctance to enable a more "desktop-ish" experience with a pointing device might be because they know something better is in the works.

Using a pen/pencil as a precision on screen pointing device is fatigueing and annoying----try it some time

Reactions: Farrellcollie

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
A mouse is unnecessary, just use your finger or the two finger trackpad method...it works. There are just two many keyboard trackpad problems on other devices to even consider wanting mouse support or keyboard trackpads on the iPad pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.