Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Completely removed Bartender, no cursor issue since. Nothing else changed. Perhaps there is some similar or totally completely different piece of shi...software you are running that messes with your cursor.

I've been having this issue since Sonoma arrived. Sometimes you change something, and it disappears for hours, but it still comes back again. Turn on Stage Manager, and it never comes back. Whatever is causing it is likely a combination of things but it's not as simple as removing an app.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I'm curious about anyone with this issue: what device is it happening on? For me, it's my Mac Mini.

henkej

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2014
Sweden
I've been having this issue since Sonoma arrived. Sometimes you change something, and it disappears for hours, but it still comes back again. Turn on Stage Manager, and it never comes back. Whatever is causing it is likely a combination of things but it's not as simple as removing an app.
Sadly...erm, I guess, this is my case though. Simply removing an app did indeed help. Wasn't that "simply" though, did try with/without a bunch of apps until I found it was Bartender. 10th day or so and it's still gone. Stage Manager has been off all the time.

driesdtl

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2024
Same issue on Sonoma .2 MBP M1 Max. All apple peripherals (Magic Mouse, keyboard and trackpad) randomly disconnects and only sometimes reconnects. Bluetooth restart required most of the time. The cursor disappears when this happens.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
Just updated
Same issue on Sonoma .2 MBP M1 Max. All apple peripherals (Magic Mouse, keyboard and trackpad) randomly disconnects and only sometimes reconnects. Bluetooth restart required most of the time. The cursor disappears when this happens.
That seems to be a different (unrelated) problem.

ikinria

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2024
Had the issue since I bought my mac, an M2, 3 months ago. The issue occured every 5 minutes or so. Was driving me insane. Tried all suggestions from this thread and all the other threads I could find online.

I think I have 'fixed' but I am not sure how.

The changes:
- I upgraded my external mouse from MX Master (the old, first iteration) to MX Master 3s, MAC editon.
- I uninstalled BetterMouse app and use Logi Options+ instead.
- I have disallowed Input Monitoring for Discord app.

It has been 1 full week without any issues.

Hope it helps someone.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Had the issue since I bought my mac, an M2, 3 months ago. The issue occured every 5 minutes or so. Was driving me insane. Tried all suggestions from this thread and all the other threads I could find online.

I think I have 'fixed' but I am not sure how.

The changes:
- I upgraded my external mouse from MX Master (the old, first iteration) to MX Master 3s, MAC editon.
- I uninstalled BetterMouse app and use Logi Options+ instead.
- I have disallowed Input Monitoring for Discord app.

It has been 1 full week without any issues.

Hope it helps someone.

My issue is the pointer not changing to resize windows (maybe a variant of the main issue). I have an MX Master 3 and I used to play with Logi Options+ pointer speed to get it to fix. I've always wondered whether the Logitech mouse/software is a contributor to the problem.

sashavegas

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2018
I think this bug not related to any third party software. It is directly sonoma problem. On my Studio M1, went back to monterey and problem is gone. Somebody mention it is related to refresh rate problem with sonoma. Since macbook can run at 120 and other displays run at 60, Sonoma mouse erratic movemenet and register clicks, related to refresh frequency not properly adjusted with different configurations

thebart

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2023
Ah this happens to me, cursor not changing to resize when at window border. I thought maybe because I'm using a custom resolution created with better display

scottkuhl

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2024
Thought this was a problem with Microsoft Edge at first. I am also running Bartender which seems to be a theme. I sent the Bartender developer an email to look into this thread.

MrWeenus

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2017
Romania
Nope, it's not Bartender nor any window management application. Happens on a fresh install as well. I'm about to go back to 14.1. 😒

scottkuhl

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2024
I emailed the Bartender developer.

"Hi Scott, thanks for sending this, I am aware of an issue like the ones in the thread, and have been looking into it, but I believe it's in macOS as it happens without Bartender running too. It's definitely a change in behavior since macOS Sonoma, but I do think Bartender, like many other apps, can bring it about more often. "

He is aware and I assume Apple is also.

Reactions: tranceking26

sashavegas

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2018
It has been reported for a while

The problem lay in sonoma refresh rate. Since macbook Pro motion support 120 refresh and other monitors support only 60, sonoma cannot propertly adjust the rate ( it has to be set different on 120 and 60) as a result mouse does not register correct click, resize, etc on macbook or other monitor, given the difference between monitor refresh rate

P.S. Monterey does not this problem

kecinzer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic

The problem lay in sonoma refresh rate. Since macbook Pro motion support 120 refresh and other monitors support only 60, sonoma cannot propertly adjust the rate ( it has to be set different on 120 and 60) as a result mouse does not register correct click, resize, etc on macbook or other monitor, given the difference between monitor refresh rate

I have MB Air without ProMotion and have same problem. Every monitor that I have connected is 60Hz.

chronque

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2024
I'm honestly glad to see this thread exist; I've been having this problem on and off for like a year straight.

To clarify the actual problem, it's that my cursor will not change to the appropriate shape when hovering/clicking on something, and will instead remain the black pointer arrow. Alternatively, it may briefly flash into the correct shape but then revert back to the default black pointer; this is most obvious when resizing windows.

I have an M1 MacBook Pro, from macOS Monterey to macOS Sonoma. I think it started during Ventura? I use Bartender, LinearMouse, and have a Logitech MX Master 3S (for Mac). I also sometimes use my iPad Air as a second display, as well as occasionally the odd regular external monitor. I've noticed it seems to happen more when I use the Logitech mouse over just the trackpad, and that sometimes I can temporarily fix it if I open/close Logi Options+, but this doesn't always work.

Happy to share more info to corroborate with others and find common trends. I haven't reported this to Apple because I didn't even know what to file it as or where, but if someone has a link/method to send in a bug report I'll happily do so.

Reactions: ikinria

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
I'm honestly glad to see this thread exist; I've been having this problem on and off for like a year straight.

To clarify the actual problem, it's that my cursor will not change to the appropriate shape when hovering/clicking on something, and will instead remain the black pointer arrow. Alternatively, it may briefly flash into the correct shape but then revert back to the default black pointer; this is most obvious when resizing windows.

I have an M1 MacBook Pro, from macOS Monterey to macOS Sonoma. I think it started during Ventura? I use Bartender, LinearMouse, and have a Logitech MX Master 3S (for Mac). I also sometimes use my iPad Air as a second display, as well as occasionally the odd regular external monitor. I've noticed it seems to happen more when I use the Logitech mouse over just the trackpad, and that sometimes I can temporarily fix it if I open/close Logi Options+, but this doesn't always work.

Happy to share more info to corroborate with others and find common trends. I haven't reported this to Apple because I didn't even know what to file it as or where, but if someone has a link/method to send in a bug report I'll happily do so.
press CMD + Space and search for Feedback Assistent.

Open that, login with your Apple ID and open a new bug report by pressing N + CMD. Go to MacOS --> Finder and then file your report.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands

It does not. This also happens with the refresh rate set to anything different than 120hz and also happens on my external 60hz monitor.

e1me5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
Happens to me in Safari. Didn't noticed it somewhere else. Old bug, it used to happen a lot many years ago in Safari again, but then it was fixed. No clue why it's back again. Hopefully they resolve it soon.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I use HomeKit Secure Video. I noticed today that I cannot click on the recorded videos to review them. The click is completely ignored. I did have the Home app running on an external monitor. Later, after I disconnected my external monitors, it worked fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.