Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrWeenus

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2017
Romania
Actually, the 14.4 b4+ seems to have fixed it for me. It still happens, but much, much more rarely.

Previously, it was happening at least 20-40 times a day for me. Now it happens under 5 times.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I am on public Beta 14.4 still the same, I am not seeing it happening less in general but I do notice in some apps it does not happen at all. For example, I use two code editors, but it does not occur in Visual Studio Code. In Sublime Text, it happens often.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I downgraded tonight and went back to Ventura, which has fixed it. Honestly, it makes no difference to me not running Sonoma. In fact, it actually feels better.

DLary

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2005
Updating to 14.4 caused the problem for me. So far only in Safari. Affects webpages but not the Safari menu bar. Restarting Safari fixes it for a short period of time. Also occurs with the latest version of the Safari Technology Preview.

Mac Studio M2 Ultra

MrWeenus

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2017
Romania
Actually, 14.4 fixed the issue for me almost completely. I think it still happens, but very, very rarely.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I was having problems understanding why my pointer in Mail was changing from pointer to a hand while on a call with Apple Support. He pointed me to this article which states that there are two hands - one open and one closed.

Open hand cursor
Open handAppears when the mouse pointer is over an item that you can move and adjust within specific bounds—for example, text within a spreadsheet cell or a table row in a document.

Closed hand cursor
Closed handAppears when you’re moving and adjusting an item within specific bounds—for example, text within a spreadsheet cell or a table row in a document.

RVRX

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2024
Just bumping this, as it is still an ongoing issue for me throughout the OS and most Apps on 14.4.1

DLary

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2005
Still happening to me on Sonoma 14.5 Beta 4. Closing Safari and re-opening fixes the problem for a period of time then it starts again.

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Still happening to me on Sonoma 14.5 Beta 4. Closing Safari and re-opening fixes the problem for a period of time then it starts again.

what if you don't reopen Safari after closing it?

DLary

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2005
It only happens in Safari. I have been trying FireFox and so far it hasn't occurred.

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
It only happens in Safari. I have been trying FireFox and so far it hasn't occurred.

May I recommend to just use Edge or/and Chrome instead of Safari then. In my view they're better browsers anyway (I simply never use Safari). I didn't mention Firefox only because its search function is inconsistent with other browsers, which I find counter-productive.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I downgraded to Ventura in March. Last week, I decided to see what had changed, so I upgraded to Sonoma again. And no issues at all, exact same apps, usage and so on. It suggests to me something is going wrong with the update for some, but not all. I hear no issues of anyone with a new device having these issues.

Maybe downgrading and doing the update again was my solution.

MrWeenus

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2017
Romania
To add to the last post, this seems to be on the right track.

I had a Sonoma 14.0 install from the beginning and the mouse cursor issue went 99.9% away with 14.4. Though, I decided to reinstall a few weeks ago and it came back randomly. 🤦‍♂️ And now I have an even weird issue with Safari freezing and needing a full reload.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.