Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Android switch?

• Android

Votes: 47 19.3%
  • iPhone

Votes: 197 80.7%

• Total voters

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Anyone else planning on moving to Android once Apple switches to USB-C? Might as well have an Android at that point. Looking at the Lively Jitterbug Smart3.
I'm not sure I understand your logic? It sounds like you're saying that once iPhone goes USB-C it's not going to be any different than an android phone....

I'm not saying don't switch but the type of charging connector seems meaningless to me. I guess if I had to pick it would be real MagSafe like on a MacBook not the Chi MagSafe we have on iPhone

Edit: Looking at the Lively Jitterbug Smart3.? Are you serious? I'm sure it's a great phone for someone who is visually or maybe tech impaired but it looks to be a really low end android phone. I'm guessing it would compare to maybe an iPhone 6S?

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
I have a Pixel 5 that I do love. I bought it to keep abreast of Android as my parents got their first smartphones and were talked into Android by a store salesman. They asked my opinion and I immediately told them to go with iPhones. That's what I have and being their first call for support I said I could help them with any problems they encounter. In spite of that it was Android for them, so I figured I'd better know a little bit about Android and got myself a Pixel 5. Turns out I do love the Pixel but iOS and an iPhone just suit me better.

GPay is better than Apple Pay. Faster, smoother, more reliable for quick payments at the register. Sometimes I have to go through the routine two or three times to get Apple Pay to work because FaceID borks the transaction. With GPay I tap the fingerprint area on the back of the Pixel one time and the transaction sails through.

Apple Car Play vs. Android Auto is no contest. Android Auto sucks, and that's only when it works. Car Play is 100% reliable for me and I'm too old to be fighting with Android Auto like I used to do with other systems back in the day. Now I just want things to work, and that's Apple Car Play.

I do love the size and weight of the Pixel 5. Compared to my iPhone 13 Pro Max the Google phone barely feels like I'm carrying it. The trade off is screen size. I really have come to appreciate that big beautiful iPhone screen. I may go with the standard iPhone Pro when I next upgrade. As a life long Mac user the iOS/MacOS integration and more finished feel of the iOS system are what wins me over. The Pixel is great, but the iPhone is greater.

hanser

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
This is just nuts. Android versus iPhone is mostly depending on preference for the operating system and ecosystem. Also, if of all things the connector would be a factor, it would be the other way round: Apple finally joining USB-C might remove an obstacle for some to switch to iPhone.

VampyricGentleman

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2022
South Wales, UK
I switched FROM android to iPhone, whilst both have things I like, they both have things I hate too, but I love the way calls and messages can be taken on any device from Apple as long as you are connected to the same Wi-Fi.

It’s quite lovely being able to type something up whilst talking to someone, even though your phone is in another room.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Edit: Looking at the Lively Jitterbug Smart3.? Are you serious? I'm sure it's a great phone for someone who is visually or maybe tech impaired but it looks to be a really low end android phone. I'm guessing it would compare to maybe an iPhone 6S?
Oh man…I own a 6s+.

And I had the 6+ before that… ;)

picard-meme-facepalm.jpg

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
I actually was thinking of switching from Samsung to Iphone because of the USB-C. I hate the MFi games Apple is playing though. Just give the pros Thunderbolt. You don't need to make 30 cents per cable Apple.
Don’t need 30 cents per cable?

You’re thinking like a consumer, not a multinational, trillion dollar corporation.

-Look up the number of iPhones worldwide and then come back here and tell me that 30 cents per cable doesn’t matter.

Apple’s first priority is money and MFi is a great source of extra revenue without much effort beyond the initial r&d.

I’m sure they’ll find a way to do some kind of limitations to charging and data transfer speeds since they can’t use their arbitrarily proprietary (USB 2.0 in disguise) Lightning ports post 2024.

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
Currently experimenting with a Pixel 6A at the moment:

Good things:
  • Price. Really cheap handset
  • Performance. Performance is pretty good.
  • USB-C. This is notably a good thing
  • In screen finger print reader. Thought this was a gimmick but I really like it. It's better than FaceID.
  • The main camera is actually better than my iPhone 13 Pro
  • Arguably better selection of open source applications

Bad things:
  • Most of Android
  • Google
  • Android
  • Google
  • Did I mention Google and Android enough times?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Yuck!

As soon as iPhone has that DISGUSTING usb-c, I’m going to Android!!!

Where they have USB-C…

but ignore that!!! iPhone with usb-c = barf! 🤢 🤮
Exactly. This thread makes no sense at all, unless the OP meant to go to microUSB or something...😆

Reactions: JM

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
Currently experimenting with a Pixel 6A at the moment:

Good things:
  • Price. Really cheap handset
  • Performance. Performance is pretty good.
  • USB-C. This is notably a good thing
  • In screen finger print reader. Thought this was a gimmick but I really like it. It's better than FaceID.
  • The main camera is actually better than my iPhone 13 Pro
  • Arguably better selection of open source applications

Bad things:
  • Most of Android
  • Google
  • Android
  • Google
  • Did I mention Google and Android enough times?

I thought of another one:
  • Google

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
There are some good Android phones out there, but at the end of the day, I like Apple services (iCloud, iMessage, AirDrop, etc) and my Apple Watch too much to switch away. 😅

If that's not a concern for you though, I'd say go for it.

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
I thought of another one:
  • Google

Actually now you mention that I did actually remove Google from the device. I reflashed it with LineageOS and threw on Firefox, K9-Mail, Organic Maps, WhatsApp and a task list app I found on F-Droid store.

That actually turned out pretty nice but again Android ****ed me:
  • Signed boot chain won't work with custom ROMS so if you lose the device someone can just read everything off it with ADB.
  • Half of the apps depend on Google Play Services now for notifications so things like WhatsApp barely work.
I priced up how much time I spent working this out and worked out it's more expensive to make Android good than it is to buy an iPhone.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
It’s proven by fact android has more malware and less privacy. Other than that it’s mostly personal preference. I’m sticking with iPhone because it is so well integrated with my HomePods, appletv, Mac and no one comes close to iPad yet

Of course android hardware has gotten better, still not for me. Maybe security and privacy will get upgraded too. LOL. Googles whole business model is monetizing your personal information. So is there anyone who believes android will get more privacy and security?

Reactions: gusmula
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.