Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Android switch?

• Android

Votes: 47 19.3%
  • iPhone

Votes: 197 80.7%

• Total voters

himynameisryan

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2022
I recently acquired a Samsung Tab S8 Ultra and their keyboard book cover (all for under $1000, since I bought refurbished and open box, respectively), and I'd beg to differ*. Android is really polished on it. I would've gone with an iPad Pro 12.9 but wanted an even bigger tablet (I'm using it as a check-in station for a class I teach, for reading sheet music, for looking at maps/info/etc. while gaming, etc.). I'm so impressed with it, that I've actually decided to trade my iPhone 13PM for a Pixel 7 Pro and my AW6 for a Pixel Watch. I'd been toying with the idea of experimenting with an Android phone for a while, and am now finally getting around to it--not because I dislike iOS, but because I'm a nerd and want to try new things with tech 😉
*Though it really all depends on what specific uses/apps you require. For your purposes, it may very well be true that no Android tablet can match the iPad, but for others, some Android tablets may match or even exceed the iPad for their use cases.
tell that to everyone in existance

ZircoBen

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2015
Utah, USA
Funny how likes & dislikes are varied: Mac vs. Windows, iOS vs. Android, etc...
I love iOS but have little use for MacOS.
My M1 Mac Mini stagnates while my old Windows 10 PC is my do-it-all workhorse. <go figure>🙃

Thanks for the replys and thoughts on this. 👍
It takes a certain level of maturity (?) to appreciate the positives and negatives on BOTH sides of the aisle.

I have found that I vastly prefer Windows on the desktop, because I not only prefer the hardware, but I prefer the way window management works with a mouse and keyboard in Windows vs macOS. On the other hand, I prefer macOS on a laptop because of the way gestures and full-screen apps are so well optimized with Apple trackpads. It's a joy to swipe around between apps.

Likewise, it's clear that Android phones can give you a far more compelling budget phone experience, offering high-refresh displays, bezel-less and large screens, and modern cameras at the same price Apple is offering a rebadged iPhone 8.

Both Apple and its competitors have markets they excel in, and markets they clearly don't.

Reactions: Electrojake

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Anyone else planning on moving to Android once Apple switches to USB-C? Might as well have an Android at that point. Looking at the Lively Jitterbug Smart3.
For me it is the opposite - a move to USB-C would win me back to the fold. At the moment I have a Nothing Phone (1) but I prefer the many niceties that Safari has which Chrome lacks such as the ability to select text in pictures then translate or search for them in Google. There are also the improvements that have come with Safari which is closing the compatibility and functionality gaps when it comes to webapp support etc. When it comes to iOS - I can integrate my Arlo security cameras with with Apple Home to see it on iOS and macOS but with Google there is functionality missing such as battery life isn't available along with others not to mention that I have go through the Arlo website where as I can just use Home on macOS if I want to check my cameras. I'm in now hurry to change but I don't think I'll be staying long term with Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.