Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Android switch?

• Android

Votes: 47 19.3%
  • iPhone

Votes: 197 80.7%

• Total voters

himynameisryan

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2022
I am not wrong and neither are you. I commented on my experience and merely stated my opinions. Like I said, different strokes.
maybe it's cause I'm Australian, but the s23 ultra is utterly unusable in summer here, and I hope this is a bug that is only software related.

both the 14 pro max and s23 ultra overheat in less than 10 minutes in the Australian summer sun, however, the s23 ultra becomes so slow that the camera takes multiple seconds to realise I've pressed the shutter. This isn't the shutter lag I complain about as a photographer, this is completely unusable. In the sun both batteries suck, but the s23 ultra gets a whole 4 hours of screen on time on a hot day if I'm lucky. my 14 pro max gets nearly 6. Plus the "1750 nit" display? you have to squint to see it. honestly I can barely see the 14 pro max 2000nit display, but it's still "usable"

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The 6s+ Best phone I've ever owned! 👍
Better than my Samsung Note 10+, Z Fold 3, and my Surface Duo-2.
Finally had to upgrade to a 14 ProMAX since batteries, parts, cases are no longer made for the old 6s+
@eyoungren you obviously have good taste in equipment. 🍻
I will say it's the longest lasting iPhone I've had that's had zero issues. The only thing I've done to mine is replace the battery and that was six years after I got it - because it took that long for the original battery to deteriorate below Apple's replacement threshold.

Reactions: Electrojake

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The 6s+ Best phone I've ever owned! 👍
Better than my Samsung Note 10+, Z Fold 3, and my Surface Duo-2.
Finally had to upgrade to a 14 ProMAX since batteries, parts, cases are no longer made for the old 6s+
@eyoungren you obviously have good taste in equipment. 🍻
I had the 6S+ & the Note 10+, the latter clearly being a much newer and much better phone in all regards. I'm interested to hear why you think the 6S+ was better?

If we're talking sentimental nostalgia then I'll say that my old iPhone 4 was my favourite phone. It was the biggest leap in smartphone tech that I'd experienced and was the first phone that could truly replace my laptop for most tasks. It had proper internet capability. Put it against the Note 10+ however and there would be no contest whatsoever.☺️

Scruff1026

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2022
I have had both android and iPhone. I had many Samsung galaxy's no issue with any of them, liked them a lot. I mainly switched because I got used to IOS after buying iPad. Not saying I will never go back but I love the way apple products work with each other. With that said in the three years I have been using apple products I feel like they are slowly going downhill. Especially with all the issues I have had with AirPods Pro II, it's always something with them since day one.

Electrojake

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
I had the 6S+ & the Note 10+, the latter clearly being a much newer and much better phone in all regards. I'm interested to hear why you think the 6S+ was better?

If we're talking sentimental nostalgia then I'll say that my old iPhone 4 was my favourite phone. It was the biggest leap in smartphone tech that I'd experienced and was the first phone that could truly replace my laptop for most tasks. It had proper internet capability. Put it against the Note 10+ however and there would be no contest whatsoever.☺️
Yes Sir, the Note 10+ was a nice device but. . .
I liked the 6s+ over the Note 10+ mostly because I prefer iOS over Android.

What pushed me into Android. . .
The worst iPhone I ever owned was the iPhone-X. It was the reason I eventually bought the Samsung Note 10+ and took a try at Android.
After having two faulty iPhone-X in a row and not being too impressed with the Android operating system on the Note 10+ I got disgusted and refurbished my old 6s+ and stayed with that until I bought a Samsung Z Fold-3.
The ZF3 was a clumsy, failure prone, ergonomic nightmare so I went to a Microsoft Surface Duo-2 (which I still have as my backup phone). The Duo-2 is light years ahead of the bulky, crap-screen, Samsung Z Fold's.
But regardless, I'm an iOS die-hard so my daily driver is a 14 ProMax and my Surface Duo-2 is a very nice but seldom used backup phone.
Sorry for the long reply but I needed to vent a little. :)

Reactions: sunking101

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Yes Sir, the Note 10+ was a nice device but. . .
I liked the 6s+ over the Note 10+ mostly because I prefer iOS over Android.

What pushed me into Android. . .
The worst iPhone I ever owned was the iPhone-X. It was the reason I eventually bought the Samsung Note 10+ and took a try at Android.
After having two faulty iPhone-X in a row and not being too impressed with the Android operating system on the Note 10+ I got disgusted and refurbished my old 6s+ and stayed with that until I bought a Samsung Z Fold-3.
The ZF3 was a clumsy, failure prone, ergonomic nightmare so I went to a Microsoft Surface Duo-2 (which I still have as my backup phone). The Duo-2 is light years ahead of the bulky, crap-screen, Samsung Z Fold's.
But regardless, I'm an iOS die-hard so my daily driver is a 14 ProMax and my Surface Duo-2 is a very nice but seldom used backup phone.
Sorry for the long reply but I needed to vent a little. :)
Ah that makes sense then. Bad hardware can break a relationship like that but you then went back due to disliking some software. 😄

I ended up preferring Android in the end and never went back but it's a very subjective thing.

Electrojake

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
I ended up preferring Android in the end and never went back but it's a very subjective thing.
Funny how likes & dislikes are varied: Mac vs. Windows, iOS vs. Android, etc...
I love iOS but have little use for MacOS.
My M1 Mac Mini stagnates while my old Windows 10 PC is my do-it-all workhorse. <go figure>🙃

Thanks for the replys and thoughts on this. 👍

Reactions: sunking101

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
maybe it's cause I'm Australian, but the s23 ultra is utterly unusable in summer here, and I hope this is a bug that is only software related.

both the 14 pro max and s23 ultra overheat in less than 10 minutes in the Australian summer sun, however, the s23 ultra becomes so slow that the camera takes multiple seconds to realise I've pressed the shutter. This isn't the shutter lag I complain about as a photographer, this is completely unusable. In the sun both batteries suck, but the s23 ultra gets a whole 4 hours of screen on time on a hot day if I'm lucky. my 14 pro max gets nearly 6. Plus the "1750 nit" display? you have to squint to see it. honestly I can barely see the 14 pro max 2000nit display, but it's still "usable"
That's odd.... An Australia summer isn't hotter than a summer here in Atlanta, and I've never had any phone overheat because of it. Even in Egypt, in the middle of the Sahara desert I haven't had that happen. It's odd that you'd have that problem in cooler temps with multiple devices. Very odd..

himynameisryan

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2022
That's odd.... An Australia summer isn't hotter than a summer here in Atlanta, and I've never had any phone overheat because of it. Even in Egypt, in the middle of the Sahara desert I haven't had that happen. It's odd that you'd have that problem in cooler temps with multiple devices. Very odd..
On an average summer, the Sahara desert reaches 40deg celsius
an average summer day in Australia where I live (the temps vary depending on location) is 40-50. (it never used to be this way, but in the past decade it's gotten really warm), plus the UV rays have different effects and other factors.
what probably has more of a factor is being a photographer, I mainly use the camera so the devices are under extreme processor and camera loads at the same time.
edit: fact check and grammar
edit 3: I just googled average temperature in Atlanta summer, its 5-10degrees celsius cooler

aue123

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2019
Mid west USA
On an average summer, the Sahara desert reaches 40deg celsius
an average summer day in Australia where I live (the temps vary depending on location) is 40-50. (it never used to be this way, but in the past decade it's gotten really warm), plus the UV rays have different effects and other factors.
what probably has more of a factor is being a photographer, I mainly use the camera so the devices are under extreme processor and camera loads at the same time.
edit: fact check and grammar
edit 3: I just googled average temperature in Atlanta summer, its 5-10degrees celsius cooler

being a photographer, why wouldn't you buy a dedicated camera?

himynameisryan

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2022
being a photographer, why wouldn't you buy a dedicated camera?
I have a dedicated camera, it absolutely destroys any phone on the planet.
I use it for all professional work

However, there is much more effort required to use said camera.
not only do I have to remember to charge multiple batteries, bring multiple lenses and an entire camera backpack, but
Then when I get home I have to import the raw photos using an sd card and my MacBook. Then edit them (every "real" camera has terrible jpg processing), followed by exporting and airdropping to my iPhone to share on Instagram since the website sucks

Compare that to the process on a phone
tap to focus
tap shutter
tap share

are the results as good? never. The large sensor and my editing skills do way better than a phone currently can.
but when I'm enjoying my life and just want to have fun taking photos, I use my phone

aue123

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2019
Mid west USA
I have a dedicated camera, it absolutely destroys any phone on the planet.
I use it for all professional work

However, there is much more effort required to use said camera.
not only do I have to remember to charge multiple batteries, bring multiple lenses and an entire camera backpack, but
Then when I get home I have to import the raw photos using an sd card and my MacBook. Then edit them (every "real" camera has terrible jpg processing), followed by exporting and airdropping to my iPhone to share on Instagram since the website sucks

Compare that to the process on a phone
tap to focus
tap shutter
tap share

are the results as good? never. The large sensor and my editing skills do way better than a phone currently can.
but when I'm enjoying my life and just want to have fun taking photos, I use my phone
I would love to see your Instagram photos, can you please DM me your site? I always love seeing all the cool pictures people can produce with these amazing phones

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
no one comes close to iPad yet

I recently acquired a Samsung Tab S8 Ultra and their keyboard book cover (all for under $1000, since I bought refurbished and open box, respectively), and I'd beg to differ*. Android is really polished on it. I would've gone with an iPad Pro 12.9 but wanted an even bigger tablet (I'm using it as a check-in station for a class I teach, for reading sheet music, for looking at maps/info/etc. while gaming, etc.). I'm so impressed with it, that I've actually decided to trade my iPhone 13PM for a Pixel 7 Pro and my AW6 for a Pixel Watch. I'd been toying with the idea of experimenting with an Android phone for a while, and am now finally getting around to it--not because I dislike iOS, but because I'm a nerd and want to try new things with tech 😉
*Though it really all depends on what specific uses/apps you require. For your purposes, it may very well be true that no Android tablet can match the iPad, but for others, some Android tablets may match or even exceed the iPad for their use cases.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I recently acquired a Samsung Tab S8 Ultra and their keyboard book cover (all for under $1000, since I bought refurbished and open box, respectively), and I'd beg to differ*. Android is really polished on it.
And I agree. It's not that the iPad isn't the best tablet in the market... the argument is if the iPad is so far ahead of the market. I enjoy my iPad Pro, but I'm well aware how awesome of a tablet the Tab S8 Ultra is and Samsung is doing well in the tablet space.

Jacklikesforums

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2023
Me personally I wouldn't do it. Because once, My uncle switched to Android. He works at Apple but, He said he regreted it. Because it was so buggy and hard to transfer data Via iPhone.

MarkP58

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2022
Anyone else planning on moving to Android once Apple switches to USB-C? Might as well have an Android at that point. Looking at the Lively Jitterbug Smart3.
Makes no sense to base OS/Safe environment/usability solely on the connector. I rarely plug in my iPhone as I sit it on a wireless charger so connector increasingly irrelevant, besides USB-C a much better standard so things improving IMO.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Makes no sense to base OS/Safe environment/usability solely on the connector. I rarely plug in my iPhone as I sit it on a wireless charger so connector increasingly irrelevant, besides USB-C a much better standard so things improving IMO.

Yes and No.
I have a 13 ProMax. Was planning to upgrade to a 14 ProMax. I usually upgrade yearly and gift my older device.

No USB C (the iPhone is the ONLY non-USB C device I have) made me pause.
Then no SIM card tray on top of this made me skip the 14.
Now if we see Apple USB C MFI I will be a further reason to skip the 15.

This is just my opinion and decision. Others will be different. But yes, the connector can have an impact on whether or not to upgrade.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
And I agree. It's not that the iPad isn't the best tablet in the market... the argument is if the iPad is so far ahead of the market.

Exactly. Obviously these are all opinions, but I don't think the extreme opinions ("not even close," "Android/iOS is trash," etc.) are very rational or informed.

Electrojake

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2018
Not so new Jersey
I recently acquired a Samsung Tab S8 Ultra and their keyboard book cover, and I'd beg to differ*. Android is really polished on it. I would've gone with an iPad Pro 12.9 but wanted an even bigger tablet (I'm using it as a check-in station for a class I teach, for reading sheet music, for looking at maps/info/etc. while gaming, etc.).
*Though it really all depends on what specific uses/apps you require. For your purposes, it may very well be true that no Android tablet can match the iPad, but for others, some Android tablets may match or even exceed the iPad for their use cases.

And I agree. It's not that the iPad isn't the best tablet in the market... the argument is if the iPad is so far ahead of the market. I enjoy my iPad Pro, but I'm well aware how awesome of a tablet the Tab S8 Ultra is and Samsung is doing well in the tablet space.
I'm loving my Samsung Tab S8+ (even though I'd never give up my iPad 12.9" workhorse for it).
But you see the problem here is that too often you must be either an Android fanboy or an Apple fanboy. Being loyal to more than one OS makes you evil somehow.
<go figure>🙄

I've never understood that mentality but yet it certainly is plain to see at various points in the thread.
BTW @usagora and @Ludatyk it was good to see your posts. 👍

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I'm loving my Samsung Tab S8+ (even though I'd never give up my iPad 12.9" workhorse for it).
But you see the problem here is that too often you must be either an Android fanboy or an Apple fanboy. Being loyal to more than one OS makes you evil somehow.
<go figure>🙄

I've never understood that mentality but yet it certainly is plain to see at various points in the thread.
BTW @usagora and @Ludatyk it was good to see your posts. 👍
Yeah, it is weird how people divide themselves into camps and then claim whichever side they are on is better.

You see the same behavior even within the camps. My MacBook Pro dominates and is so much better than your MacBook air or my gaming rig is so much better than your Dell XPS and in every other sub category.

People are just always trying to get others to agree with them and at the same time feel superior to them. It is crazy.

I am a multi platform user and as long as I can I will be because I enjoy the differences between them.

No OS or platform is superior in every way. All have strengths and weaknesses. No device is superior in every way and all have their strengths and weaknesses. Well, except for my s23 ultra - it is perfect. 😂 Lol 🤣

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.