Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Android switch?

• Android

Votes: 47 19.3%
  • iPhone

Votes: 197 80.7%

• Total voters

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I understand that.

If I genuinely preferred the Galaxy more, I probably would've switched to it perm, because at the end of the day I do think it is better to put yourself first. But I just personally prefer iOS more, and this was after using the S23+ for nearly a month. I think I had a proper sample size to make a decision. I could've made the communication challenges work, but it wasn't the sole reason I switched back. I just like the way iOS works better.

But it was refreshing to send a message to my friend and some family this morning and the blue bubble was back after putting my sim back in my iPhone. Sounds stupid I guess, but it was just icing on the cake.

I think the biggest thing I miss is the notification system for sure, but I'm so used to iOS's notifications that it's really no bother to me.

Personally right now with the iPhone and iOS 16 I am just not super happy with the software and hardware.

iPhone 15 or 16 with a newer version of iOS and better hardware might change things and I will be back.

Apple makes some of the best phones in the world and the look and design is arguably the best in the world.

This year the s23 ultra is just better. I also like the more squared or rectangular design of the ultra screen as it just makes the best use of the 6.8" screen and is more productive.

I like competition and the back and forth of progress between iOS, iPhone and Samsung and Android. They push each other to do better.

So I will always go back and forth between them. This year the s23 ultra and the Pixel 7 Pro are just better than anything else out right now. I love iOS but Android has come a long way. For my use all of the apps work the same regardless of platform and each UI is equally polished and smooth. So the difference really comes down to hardware and some UI features that only Pixel and s23u have. Call screening is not on iOS but available for both the Pixel and s23 series. Just one example of a really useful feature on Android that is hard for me to live without.

Reactions: keithop

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Oh I understand sample size but I also understand algorithm and skewed search results.

Reddit is the Ghetto of the internet. Sorry.

You still seem to find it difficult to judge quality of information on the internet. Some of Reddit is ****, some of it is good. You can't just dismiss everything on Reddit as being untrustworthy!

I never implied your judgement was wrong like you implied I didn't know how to use Google search or just now how you implied that I don't understand what a sample size means.

You saying the information that I find to be trustworthy is untrustworthy is insulting my judgement. We can all play the "I'm offended" card here.

At the end of the day lightning port is inferior for a number of reasons like data transfer speeds and the proprietary nature of the port.

It was never about which is better. That's purely subjective. The question was durability which is much more objective. I'm not devoted to either party. USBC and Lighting both have their pros and cons. I don't really care which one my phone has but at the moment I'm thinking of going to Lightning, and therefore Apple, because I value reliability over convenience and speed.

Whether a lightning port is slightly more durable is really not a good argument of it's superiority since USB is ubiquitous and cheaper to repair and replace even if a failure occurs which is not very common.

I never meant Lightning is more durable and therefore superior. Just that Lightning is more durable.

If USB C was so unreliable then you would be hearing about it from all corners of the internet

People aren't outraged, but again search the internet and you'll see people seem to find Lighting more durable. It's not like "USBC ports have a critical failure point and are blowing up phones" kind of newsworthy so of course there's no outrage so to speak.

but the fact remains that Apple used it exclusively for a number of it's own products which must say something about it's value.

Yes, USBC is more convenient and can allow higher data transfer protocols. I suspect your arguing this off of incorrectly thinking I believe Lightning to be superior overall.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Denying the authenticity of something when there's no apparent reason to is a pretty immature arguing tactic. Again, if you are a child or early teen I apologize and none of this applies; you're still developing. Back to this Reddit post. Yes doing a test is called testing. He's writing a Reddit post and not a report. Yes he could test more, use different phones and different conditions etc but this is a good start.

Anyone can make anything up. Think yourself. Is it likely to be biased, well it's not on r/apple or r/android. It's on r/Askengineers, this person is likely to have some kind of engineering background. I don't see why this post shouldn't be trusted. I'd trust their conclusions without seeing the data because there's no good reason for them to lie here.

Again you "presumed" I judged it solely off my personal experience. I had a hunch that iOS apps were visually tailored better for their phones, then I researched it on the internet and found most people also have this experience. Hence why I put it under "cons" of Android. iOS apps are designed for a small handful of phones compared to what Android apps are designed for.

There is so much here that is just your opinion yet you act as if it is objectively true?

The last point is really hard to swallow. So you researched on the internet(internet is never biased) and based on most people's experience that you found they agree with your opinion of hypothesis? Maybe it is true that because there is less choice in hardware that Apple apps are visually tailored for Apple devices?? I think you are referring to design standards that Apple forces on developers which leads to a more consistent experience in iOS vs. Android. I don't think it has to do with less amount of devices.

I think you might be confusing app design standards with app optimization?

Of course most Android OEM'S make up for the lack specific app optimization with better hardware.

One point that you really sort of brought up is that there is a lack of standardization on Android apps you don't see with iOS which is a valid point.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
You still seem to find it difficult to judge quality of information on the internet. Some of Reddit is ****, some of it is good.

You saying the information that I find to be trustworthy is untrustworthy is insulting my judgement. We can all play the "I'm offended" card here.

It was never about which is better. That's purely subjective. The question was durability which is much more objective. I'm not devoted to either party. USBC and Lighting both have their pros and cons. I don't really care which one my phone has but at the moment I'm thinking of going to Lightning, and therefore Apple, because I value reliability over convenience and speed.

I never meant Lightning is more durable and therefore superior. Just that Lightning is more durable.

People aren't outraged, but again search the internet and you'll see people seem to find Lighting more durable. It's not like "USBC ports have a critical failure point and are blowing up phones" kind of newsworthy so of course there's no outrage so to speak.

Yes, USBC is more convenient and can allow higher data transfer protocols. I suspect your arguing this off of incorrectly thinking I believe Lightning to be superior overall.

Why bring up durability if it isn't to say one is better than the other? Why even post at all if you have no point to bring up?

Actually it is not subjective. USB C as it is right and as lighting is right now is superior. It has a number of benefits over lighting port.

Faster transfer speeds which is a pretty important point for a data connection standard, wider adoption on multiple platforms, faster charging capability. It is also extremely durable.

You don't have any verifiable proof that one port is objectively more durable than the other so if you just wanted to bring that up for no reason then okay but I don't see how it is true?

Reactions: Dave.UK

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
There is so much here that is just your opinion yet you act as if it is objectively true?

I'm arguing with this person about which is more durable, USBC or Lightning. Most people find Lighting to be more durable and this person on Reddit did a more formal test and found Lightning to be more durable. Durability is fairly objective and everything points to Lightning being more durable. I'm not sure what you're dubious about.

The last point is really hard to swallow. So you researched on the internet(internet is never biased) and based on most people's experience that you found they agree with your opinion of hypothesis? Maybe it is true that because there is less choice in hardware that Apple apps are visually tailored for Apple devices?? I think you are referring to design standards that Apple forces on developers which leads to a more consistent experience in iOS vs. Android. I don't think it has to do with less amount of devices.

I don't understand why you treat the internet in such a 1 dimensional way. It's full of lots of information which is all biased in lots of different ways. Unbiased information can be found.

Again, I'm not in either faction, Apple or Android. Don't care. I'm not biased towards my hypothesis, and one shouldn't be. It went as follows: I noticed apps looked better on my iPhones than Androids. I wondered if that's generally true or if I was just an outlier. I went on the internet and found most people also found iOS apps to be better designed. I'm sorry if I used the wrong terminology, but I meant in a general sense that iOS apps look better.

I think you might be confusing app design standards with app optimization?

Of course most Android OEM'S make up for the lack specific app optimization with better hardware.

One point that you really sort of brought up is that there is a lack of standardization on Android apps you don't see with iOS which is a valid point.

Yes, as above, I'm not sure about the terminology but the end result is that iOS apps look and function better than Android apps based off of my experience and research. Hence why I marked it down as a negative in my original comment about iPhone Vs Android

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Why bring up durability if it isn't to say one is better than the other? Why even post at all if you have no point to bring up?

Because not everything is about making a binary statement. The point is that Lightning does seem more durable based on evidence. It was in my original iPhone Vs Android post. Am I not allowed to say things like that? What a bizarre comment you've made there.

Actually it is not subjective. USB C as it is right and as lighting is right now is superior. It has a number of benefits over lighting port.

Faster transfer speeds which is a pretty important point for a data connection standard, wider adoption on multiple platforms, faster charging capability. It is also extremely durable.

You don't have any verifiable proof that one port is objectively more durable than the other so if you just wanted to bring that up for no reason then okay but I don't see how it is true?

Again? I'm not saying one is superior to the other. Just that one is more durable. No I don't have hard evidence but from that person's test and the hundreds of personal experiences people have posted all across the internet I'm confident in saying Lightning is more durable.

Again this was all about someone arguing with a point in my personal iPhone Vs Android pros and cons list.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
Denying the authenticity of something when there's no apparent reason to is a pretty immature arguing tactic. Again, if you are a child or early teen I apologize and none of this applies; you're still developing. Back to this Reddit post. Yes doing a test is called testing. He's writing a Reddit post and not a report. Yes he could test more, use different phones and different conditions etc but this is a good start.

Anyone can make anything up. Think yourself. Is it likely to be biased, well it's not on r/apple or r/android. It's on r/Askengineers, this person is likely to have some kind of engineering background. I don't see why this post shouldn't be trusted. I'd trust their conclusions without seeing the data because there's no good reason for them to lie here.
Are you for some reason under the impression that they vet the credentials of anyone who posts in the r/Askengineers subreddit? "Denying the authenticity of something when there's no apparent reason to"? How about there's no reason to believe it? Maybe you're not aware of this but, everything you see on the internet, isn't true. Shocking I know... Sorry you had to find out this way.
Again you "presumed" I judged it solely off my personal experience. I had a hunch that iOS apps were visually tailored better for their phones, then I researched it on the internet and found most people also have this experience. Hence why I put it under "cons" of Android. iOS apps are designed for a small handful of phones compared to what Android apps are designed for. That seems like a sound reason for this.
That has absolutely nothing to do with what you said about full screen... Move on fella, it's over with.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Are you for some reason under the impression that they vet the credentials of anyone who posts in the r/Askengineers subreddit? "Denying the authenticity of something when there's no apparent reason to"? How about there's no reason to believe it? Maybe you're not aware of this but, everything you see on the internet, isn't true. Shocking I know... Sorry you had to find out this way.

People tell the truth more than they lie. Read it up, or don't because you won't believe anything you read when it doesn't fit your narrative.

You're argument has essentially boiled down to you thinking someone testing phone charging ports is being untruthful because of some undisclosed agenda. One of the more bizzare conspiracies I've come across I'll give you that.

That has absolutely nothing to do with what you said about full screen... Move on fella, it's over with.

Your arguments are getting shorter and less relevant. Didn't doubt that would happen for one second.

• Haha
Reactions: animalx

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Because not everything is about making a binary statement. The point is that Lightning does seem more durable based on evidence. It was in my original iPhone Vs Android post. Am I not allowed to say things like that? What a bizarre comment you've made there.

Again? I'm not saying one is superior to the other. Just that one is more durable. No I don't have hard evidence but from that person's test and the hundreds of personal experiences people have posted all across the internet I'm confident in saying Lightning is more durable.

Again this was all about someone arguing with a point in my personal iPhone Vs Android pros and cons list.

If you are giving a list of pros vs cons and arguing then you must have an opinion on what is better or you wouldn't list something as a pro or con?

You seem to go in circles.

You have contradicted your own statements in your previous two posts.

Keep on arguing about something you don't care about because you are completely objective and are confident that your internet search has led you to the truth.

I don't even understand what you are trying to say?

But it is okay.

I can believe lightning port is not more durable and is inferior to USB C. It has nothing to do with Apple or Android. It has to do with the merits of the port. Period.

You can believe that lightning is more durable. No problem.

You can list the lack of design standards on Android as a con. No problem.

I can actually agree that it would be nice if Android apps had better design consistency.

However I wouldn't say that apps look better on one platform or the other. Most of the time they look the same. Sometimes Android apps work better than iOS and sometimes iOS versions of same apps work better. There might be a slight advantage to Apple.

In the real world most apps that most people use look and function the same.

Design consistency is not better functionality.

But you said you don't care even though you must have an opinion to continue to argue whatever it is that is your point.

Last edited:

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
If you are giving a list of pros vs cons and arguing then you must have an opinion on what is better or you wouldn't list something as a pro or con?

Really you're confused. I gave a list of Pros and Cons, nowhere did I say I have an opinion on whether iPhone is better or if Android is better. You know you can have a list of Pros and cons and not have an overall opinion towards one or the either. Again, you're stuck in this kind of binary thinking that it MUST be this OR the other.

I'm thinking of getting a new phone and am considering either sticking with android and getting and S23 Plus or going to iPhone with a 14 Pro. I'm not loyal to either and writing that pros and cons list was a way to try to help me decide.

You seem to go in circles.

You have contradicted your own statements in your previous two posts.

What did I contradict? I'm curious.

Keep on arguing about something you don't care about because you are completely objective and are confident that your internet search has led you to the truth.

Well no it's more nuanced than that which you don't seem to be grasping. I'm arguing about which connector is more durable because I care about durability. The "I don't care" in reference to Apple Vs Android in terms of having a bias towards one or the other.

I don't even understand what you are trying to say?

Yes I know you don't!

I can believe lightning port is not more durable and is inferior to USB C. It has nothing to do with Apple or Android. It has to do with the merits of the port. Period.

You can believe that lightning is more durable. No problem.

You can list the lack of design standards on Android as a con. No problem.

That's great. All I said was I thinking Lighting is more durable. Some other user wanted to call me out on it. I said most people on the internet seem to think Lightning is more durable and showed someone doing a test with both. And you joined in saying Google is not a good way to search for stuff.

I can actually agree that it would be nice if Android apps had better design consistency.

However I wouldn't say that apps look better on one platform or the other. Most of the time they look the same. Sometimes Android apps work better than iOS and sometimes iOS versions of same apps work better. There might be a slight advantage to Apple.

In the real world most apps that most people use look and function the same.

Design consistency is not better functionality.

But you said you don't care even though you must have an opinion to continue to argue whatever it is that is your point.

Great, that's what you think. I think iOS apps are designed better and I think that's more true because more people also think that. Simple.

Again, I do care about the things in my pros and cons list. I don't care about Apple Vs Android in the sense that I don't have some personal affiliation towards one or the other.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
That's great. All I said was I thinking Lighting is more durable. Some other user wanted to call me out on it. I said most people on the internet seem to think Lightning is more durable and showed someone doing a test with both. And you joined in saying Google is not a good way to search for stuff.
No. You did NOT show someone doing a test. You showed someone writing that they did a test. There's a very big difference. Also, you didn't say "most people on the internet think lightning is more durable". You said, most people think that. To which I countered, the average person doesn't even know the names of the different ports, let alone have an opinion of which is more durable than another. Now that we've cleared that up, let's shift gears. Do you think Apple is going to gimp the USB C port when they go over to it? For some reason I feel like they won't allow it to be a normal operating port.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
No. You did NOT show someone doing a test. You showed someone writing that they did a test. There's a very big difference.

Here's how it is. You find it hard to judge whether or not information is trustworthy. Fortunately I don't.

Also, you didn't say "most people on the internet think lightning is more durable". You said, most people think that. To which I countered, the average person doesn't even know the names of the different ports, let alone have an opinion of which is more durable than another.

I said I used Google. Perhaps not clear enough for you.

If you're a kid you should stop.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
Here's how it is. You find it hard to judge whether or not information is trustworthy. Fortunately I don't.
What you just replied to has nothing to do with trustworthy or not. There literally is no test there lol. You stated you posted a link to a test. There's no test. It's a link to a guy saying he did a test. Big difference.
Again, let's shift gears. Do you think Apple is going to gimp the USB C port when they go over to it? For some reason I feel like they won't allow it to be a normal operating port.

Reactions: jamezr and Dave.UK

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Apple made lightening cables to make money. They did it to corner their market, it's as simple as that, it wasn't done in an attempt to give their customers the very best, it was done so that their customers spent more (often inflated) money to their company, and it worked, there's nothing wrong with it, hell, some customers will even buy a polishing cloth made by Apple. They are trying to keep their corner by throttling the standard cable so that Apple users buy that.

I hold my hands up, I am guilty as well, I once bought an Apple battery charger to recharge the batteries from my Apple Bluetooth keyboard. Goodness me, what was I thinking? I have also bought the "special" charging plugs Apple sold, but they were made by Apple and they were a gorgeous white colour so they must have been the best. Right?

Truthfully, it's a connector, any connector will break over time or if bent while inserting or removing it. But please don't tell me that Apple made the Lightening connector because they were ensuring their customers had the best, they were cleverly introducing a cash cow to their customers and it worked.

Reactions: jamezr

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
Apple made lightening cables to make money. They did it to corner their market, it's as simple as that, it wasn't done in an attempt to give their customers the very best, it was done so that their customers spent more (often inflated) money to their company, and it worked, there's nothing wrong with it, hell, some customers will even buy a polishing cloth made by Apple. They are trying to keep their corner by throttling the standard cable so that Apple users buy that.

I hold my hands up, I am guilty as well, I once bought an Apple battery charger to recharge the batteries from my Apple Bluetooth keyboard. Goodness me, what was I thinking? I have also bought the "special" charging plugs Apple sold, but they were made by Apple and they were a gorgeous white colour so they must have been the best. Right?

Truthfully, it's a connector, any connector will break over time or if bent while inserting or removing it. But please don't tell me that Apple made the Lightening connector because they were ensuring their customers had the best, they were cleverly introducing a cash cow to their customers and it worked.

Of course Apple made the Lightning adapter to make money. It was also an improvement over micro-USB in virtually every regard. That connector is and always was an abomination for how annoyingly difficult it has always been to plug in. It was the same old problem with USB-A, but minified.

giphy.gif

Reactions: ndouglas

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
What you just replied to has nothing to do with trustworthy or not. There literally is no test there lol. You stated you posted a link to a test. There's no test. It's a link to a guy saying he did a test. Big difference.

So does that make it untrustworthy or are you just nitpicking that it's a link to a test and not real test? What are you getting at here? You could use that argument to invalidate a published academic paper that you found on some online journal. The post in question contained some methodology, a number, and some conclusions. Where does it turn from a 'someone saying they did a test' to a 'real test'. Do you want a graph, two? A table, formally written hypothesis? Hilarious argument there.

• Haha

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux

Yes standard tactics to just make them more money. Clearly a money move.

Not trying to push that rhetoric at all. I'm just saying it seems very likely that Lightning is more durable from lots of people's experiences. Lighting has that benefit but USBC of course has many others.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Anyone else planning on moving to Android once Apple switches to USB-C? Might as well have an Android at that point. Looking at the Lively Jitterbug Smart3.
Cable charging? Thought we moved on from that back in 2017.

Nothing wrong with Samsung, their hardware is amazing. The OS is... well, what do you expect from a free OS. Except that it is not completely free to manufactures, most pay Google the licensing fees to get access to additional resources such as email, maps, play store.

I was excited when UbuntuTouch came out, then it failed, then it was reborn. If Apple iOS became my enemy, I would pick up a Pixel and install UbuntuTouch on it.

Last edited:

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
Personally right now with the iPhone and iOS 16 I am just not super happy with the software and hardware.

iPhone 15 or 16 with a newer version of iOS and better hardware might change things and I will be back.

Apple makes some of the best phones in the world and the look and design is arguably the best in the world.

This year the s23 ultra is just better. I also like the more squared or rectangular design of the ultra screen as it just makes the best use of the 6.8" screen and is more productive.

I like competition and the back and forth of progress between iOS, iPhone and Samsung and Android. They push each other to do better.

So I will always go back and forth between them. This year the s23 ultra and the Pixel 7 Pro are just better than anything else out right now. I love iOS but Android has come a long way. For my use all of the apps work the same regardless of platform and each UI is equally polished and smooth. So the difference really comes down to hardware and some UI features that only Pixel and s23u have. Call screening is not on iOS but available for both the Pixel and s23 series. Just one example of a really useful feature on Android that is hard for me to live without.
Sorry if it’s a dumb question, but can you describe or show a link/example to what call screening looks like, that iOS doesn’t have?

I’m glad to read about how you go back and forth between the two systems even if I don’t do so personally, I might someday. I agree competition is good and much needed. Even having ”only” two options i.e. iOS and Android is often fairly annoying to me, I wish there were 3 or more options for much more substantial competition.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Did you know Turkish football fans have a saying when foreign teams travel there to play? The welcome banners at the airport read: Welcome to Hell. True story.

Anyway I love my new Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra and the incredible moon shots I'm taking.

One of the things that I am most impressed about though is how quickly Samsung gets software updates out to customers now. Nothing like the bad old days of months and months behind on security patches.

Reactions: Ludatyk and jamezr

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max and am testing a Pixel 7 Pro and I like what I'm seeing from Android, but ultimately I feel more comfortable on iOS and in the Apple ecosystem in general.

Windows 11 (I have a Dell laptop along with the 7 Pro as my work devices) and Android have cool features, but they don't work the way Apple's ecosystem does, it's not as.... "transparent" to the user.

The Pixel 7 Pro works great, as it can't be less from a flagship, good screen, with a lot of brightness, although I like better the colors shown by the iPhone. Android 13 works very well and has very interesting features, but third-party apps hinder the experience in some ways, because they are not as careful as in iOS and you lose that "homogeneity experience" of user that if we have in Apple and is not in Android and Windows.

The Pixel's camera is far superior to that of the 13 Pro. The processing is much more natural and the results are much more satisfactory than on the iPhone, of which I consider that it has a too aggressive processing and washes the images in excess, making "watercolor" effect.

The fingerprint reader works well, but I prefer FaceID, I find it faster and today it works perfectly in almost all positions.

I do not think that the differentiation of the iPhone lies in its connector. I think having USB-C is the logical step, although in terms of design and durability, the lightning seems to me more resistant and durable.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Not trying to push that rhetoric at all. I'm just saying it seems very likely that Lightning is more durable from lots of people's experiences. Lighting has that benefit but USBC of course has many others.
I have a TON of both cables....literally a drawer full of both lightning and USB C cables.
I have found over the years lighning cables to be less durable in my experince. The connectors are on the outside of the where the USB C are inside if that makes sense. There is more room for those little lines to get scratched or just worn out.

USB C is so much more versatile and works across platforms. It will be nice to have a fully functional USB C port on my iPhone. Then I can carry one set of cables for all of my devices. One set for my MBP, iPhone iPad and S23 Ultra and Pixel 7 Pro

"The main difference between the USB-C and lightning formats is the list of devices each supports. Lightning cables are only meant to work with Apple devices, whereas USB-C connectors have a universal utility. You can charge your Android phone, video game controllers, laptops, tablets, and more with a single USB-C cord."

USB-C-vs-Lightning-4fdb7ae93da14192a156a60dc47b17d5.jpg

HouseLannister

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2021
Yesterday I needed a USB A to A cable to do a monitor firmware update and realized I don't even keep those anymore. I had to attach C to A adapters to both ends of a cable to make it work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.