Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Android switch?

• Android

Votes: 47 19.3%
  • iPhone

Votes: 197 80.7%

• Total voters

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
Sorry if it’s a dumb question, but can you describe or show a link/example to what call screening looks like, that iOS doesn’t have?
The Pixel can answer your calls and determine if the caller is legit or not. If it determines them to not be legit, it will tell them you aren't available, and hang up on them (not allowing them to even get to the voicemail. Otherwise, it will screen the call, asking them the reason for the call, and relay the reply to you on your screen so when the phone rings, you know why the person is calling. The best part is it does all this automatically, without the need for any action on your end. The next closest thing to it is Bixby's text call, but it's not quite on that level yet.

• Love
Reactions: ndouglas

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
I have a TON of both cables....literally a drawer full of both lightning and USB C cables.
I have found over the years lighning cables to be less durable in my experince. The connectors are on the outside of the where the USB C are inside if that makes sense. There is more room for those little lines to get scratched or just worn out.

I get everyone has their own experiences. Mine has been that Lightning has been more reliable. A better way to answer the question is just collecting lots of people's experiences to get a bigger sample size.

As to why one is more durable than the other there's lots of factors. There are some knowledgeable comments in that Reddit post I linked a while back talking about tolerances, coatings, and contact widths.

USB C is so much more versatile and works across platforms. It will be nice to have a fully functional USB C port on my iPhone. Then I can carry one set of cables for all of my devices. One set for my MBP, iPhone iPad and S23 Ultra and Pixel 7 Pro

"The main difference between the USB-C and lightning formats is the list of devices each supports. Lightning cables are only meant to work with Apple devices, whereas USB-C connectors have a universal utility. You can charge your Android phone, video game controllers, laptops, tablets, and more with a single USB-C cord."

USB-C-vs-Lightning-4fdb7ae93da14192a156a60dc47b17d5.jpg

Yep, USBC is much more convenient and functional.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I get everyone has their own experiences. Mine has been that Lightning has been more reliable. A better way to answer the question is just collecting lots of people's experiences to get a bigger sample size.

As to why one is more durable than the other there's lots of factors. There are some knowledgeable comments in that Reddit post I linked a while back talking about tolerances, coatings, and contact widths.

Yep, USBC is much more convenient and functional.
annecdotal experences asside. The USB C standard is faster than lightning.
USB-C comes packed with USB4 support making it the clear winner here as it supports data transfer speeds up to 40 Gbps (gigabits per second) while the Lightning connection only supports up to 480 Mbps (megabits per second) with USB 2.0. That's roughly an 80x faster rate with the USB-C connection.
USB-C offers a higher power delivery rate than Lightning and delivers a faster charge under the same voltage. Whereas Lightning supports a maximum current of 2.4A, USB-C carries 3A with support for up to 5A. This distinction makes USB-C much better for fast charging, as it supports the USB Power Delivery fast-charging standard.

Last edited:
Reactions: animalx

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
The Pixel can answer your calls and determine if the caller is legit or not. If it determines them to not be legit, it will tell them you aren't available, and hang up on them (not allowing them to even get to the voicemail. Otherwise, it will screen the call, asking them the reason for the call, and relay the reply to you on your screen so when the phone rings, you know why the person is calling. The best part is it does all this automatically, without the need for any action on your end. The next closest thing to it is Bixby's text call, but it's not quite on that level yet.
Very interesting! Maybe iphones will get that in 5-10 years... 😹

• Haha

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
lol I jokingly say the same thing. But all in all, the Pixel does phone calls better than any phone out there, whether it's an iPhone, Galaxy, or whatever. The smart features are unparalleled.

Reactions: AppleSlices

salutcemoi

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2021
My work phone is a Pixel 6, and the Pixel call features are very convenient, I wish my Iphone had them

Calling customer service and not having to listen to 40 minutes of crappy music and the "did you know" automated messages is so awesome; Put the phone down and it will make a sound once a human being picks up your call

AppleSlices

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2023
USA
As a lifelong android user, it all depends on what you want. If you want consistency, get a Samsung S-series. If you don't mind a few bugs, and want the best android experience, get a Pixel. If you want something like a DSLR with a phone, get a Sony Xperia. Personally, i'm upgrading to a Pixel 7 from a 5 year old phone. Sometime in the future i'd like to try an iPhone, hopefully a 15 Pro next year after used prices calm down.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
It's Apple. And people think their phones are made of gold and dreams. The used prices aren't coming down anytime soon. D:

iPhone 15 pro models are rumored to cost an extra $200!

Regular iPhone 15 model is still going to be using a 60hz screen and no AOD!

So you either pony up $1200 for a base Pro($1300) for a Pro Max or get a gimped iPhone with no Promotion, no AOD, and last year's chip.

I really hope these rumors aren't true.

You also get worse incentives and trade in deals with Apple.

Looks like Samsung is keeping me as a customer for a while as long as they keep the Ultra in it's already eye popping $1200 and don't try to raise the price but they like to copy Apple.

I am really tired of companies just trying to raise prices as much as they can with little benefits to the user. I know we live in a capitalist country but I hope the market reacts negatively to these tactics and companies course correct. I just don't see it happening with Apple customers. They are always happy to pay more.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
annecdotal experences asside. The USB C standard is faster than lightning.
USB-C comes packed with USB4 support making it the clear winner here as it supports data transfer speeds up to 40 Gbps (gigabits per second) while the Lightning connection only supports up to 480 Mbps (megabits per second) with USB 2.0. That's roughly an 80x faster rate with the USB-C connection.
USB-C offers a higher power delivery rate than Lightning and delivers a faster charge under the same voltage. Whereas Lightning supports a maximum current of 2.4A, USB-C carries 3A with support for up to 5A. This distinction makes USB-C much better for fast charging, as it supports the USB Power Delivery fast-charging standard.

Yep, USBC definitely better in that regard. Amazing how my $300 Redmi gets faster charging than a $1.1k iPhone.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I am ok with USB-C, it's obviously the future.

Only sad for all good docks I have for lightning, will be used to the old iPad Mini until it will die.
The lightening docks, together together with wireless docks, will also be used to my iPhone Mini a long time.

But got 1 new dock for USB-C to my new USB-C iPad Mini.
If this is the way, it is the way….

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
In this regard, I am in a dilemma right now.

I've always been with Apple, I've always had iPhone/iPad/Mac. As of today I have pretty much every Apple product and I'm happy.

But I feel that the increasingly unjustified price increase for what they give us for the price we pay, makes it worthless change and even makes me consider whether to abandon the platform.

I love the Apple Watch and it can be a big problem to abandon the iPhone, but I think we are reaching absurd levels and my "fanaticism" towards the brand reaches a limit.

A Google Pixel 7 Pro takes amazing photos with its processing, while the iPhone 13 Pro Max takes worse photos than the 12 Pro Max. I've only had the 13 Pro Max for a few months, but I hate its processing and I hate the incosistency it has when you take a picture, making pictures, in some cases, disastrous.

The Google Pixel 7 Pro goes very well, it is fast and fluid and does everything I do with the mobile with more than enough power. The battery is perhaps the worst thing about the phone.

I love Apple, I love their ecosystem and their operating system, but I think I'm reaching a limit, or at least, I'm becoming less of a fan and more of a "consumer". If you raise the prices I want the most "high-end" you can get for the money. I don't think the iPhone delivers that.

For me the iPhone has always been the most "overpriced" Apple product, but in the end it is always the "center" of the ecosystem. And getting out of the iPhone and seeing how the Pixel 7 Pro is doing just makes me rethink one thing, is it worth it?

The answer, at the moment, is not clear to me, but as a phone, for its lower price (in Europe 899€ the Google Pixel vs 1469€ the iPhone 14 Pro Max), the Google Pixel is a better phone for its money than the iPhone, that's clear to me.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
In this regard, I am in a dilemma right now.

I've always been with Apple, I've always had iPhone/iPad/Mac. As of today I have pretty much every Apple product and I'm happy.

But I feel that the increasingly unjustified price increase for what they give us for the price we pay, makes it worthless change and even makes me consider whether to abandon the platform.

I love the Apple Watch and it can be a big problem to abandon the iPhone, but I think we are reaching absurd levels and my "fanaticism" towards the brand reaches a limit.

A Google Pixel 7 Pro takes amazing photos with its processing, while the iPhone 13 Pro Max takes worse photos than the 12 Pro Max. I've only had the 13 Pro Max for a few months, but I hate its processing and I hate the incosistency it has when you take a picture, making pictures, in some cases, disastrous.

The Google Pixel 7 Pro goes very well, it is fast and fluid and does everything I do with the mobile with more than enough power. The battery is perhaps the worst thing about the phone.

I love Apple, I love their ecosystem and their operating system, but I think I'm reaching a limit, or at least, I'm becoming less of a fan and more of a "consumer". If you raise the prices I want the most "high-end" you can get for the money. I don't think the iPhone delivers that.

For me the iPhone has always been the most "overpriced" Apple product, but in the end it is always the "center" of the ecosystem. And getting out of the iPhone and seeing how the Pixel 7 Pro is doing just makes me rethink one thing, is it worth it?

The answer, at the moment, is not clear to me, but as a phone, for its lower price (in Europe 899€ the Google Pixel vs 1469€ the iPhone 14 Pro Max), the Google Pixel is a better phone for its money than the iPhone, that's clear to me.
For the price difference, you could almost get a Garmin Fenix 7 as well.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
Maybe there is a big difference between iPhone and iPad.
My Android tablet (no smartphone) is so much easier for me.
I'd rather be stuck in the Google ecosystem than Apple.
Technically, I am.
Predictive text is terrible with iPad.
Brilliant on Android, where I can actually delete something or everything.
I have the Google keyboard including the number keys up top.
iPad keyboard is huge. Great if you're a typist. I'm not.
No micro SD on Apple. I don't use it but have it on Android.
I can change my home screen completely on Android and do.
Microsoft Launcher.
I earlier said at least 10 things where Android is better for me.
No FM radio makes 5.
Copy and paste is easier with Android for me.
Microsoft Edge gives me trouble on iPad. Piece of cake with Android.
Opera browser has VPN on Android. Not on iPad.
Opera browser also has word (text) wrap. Not on iPad.
VLC Media Player can use DVD TS folders with Android. Not on iPad.
There you go. 10 things I can do with Android better than iPad.
I can plug my tablet into my computer and copy files with ease.
If that is possible with iPad I don't know how.
Android is more like owning a tiny computer.
By comparison, iPad is like a crippled computer.
I blame Apple and their over the top safety demands.
I can erase my Android tablet without a password to unlock first.
Multiple users if I want to as well.
Much easier to switch open apps with Android.
Lost count. Is that 15?
My ecosystem suits me way better.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Maybe there is a big difference between iPhone and iPad.
My Android tablet (no smartphone) is so much easier for me.
I'd rather be stuck in the Google ecosystem than Apple.
Technically, I am.
Predictive text is terrible with iPad.
Brilliant on Android, where I can actually delete something or everything.
I have the Google keyboard including the number keys up top.
iPad keyboard is huge. Great if you're a typist. I'm not.
No micro SD on Apple. I don't use it but have it on Android.
I can change my home screen completely on Android and do.
Microsoft Launcher.
I earlier said at least 10 things where Android is better for me.
No FM radio makes 5.
Copy and paste is easier with Android for me.
Microsoft Edge gives me trouble on iPad. Piece of cake with Android.
Opera browser has VPN on Android. Not on iPad.
Opera browser also has word (text) wrap. Not on iPad.
VLC Media Player can use DVD TS folders with Android. Not on iPad.
There you go. 10 things I can do with Android better than iPad.
I can plug my tablet into my computer and copy files with ease.
If that is possible with iPad I don't know how.
Android is more like owning a tiny computer.
By comparison, iPad is like a crippled computer.
I blame Apple and their over the top safety demands.
I can erase my Android tablet without a password to unlock first.
Multiple users if I want to as well.
Much easier to switch open apps with Android.
Lost count. Is that 15?
My ecosystem suits me way better.

I guess I have a more nuanced feeling towards iOS, iPad OS and Android.

I get your list but one could easily do the same type of list with iOS.

There is no denying a few key advantages Apple has which is complete control over their OS, hardware and app store. They have better optimized hardware and update support that isn't fragmented.

For people who value simplicity and just want to use their devices without much tinkering and just tend to use the same devices for many years then Apple clearly has an advantage.

If you want everything to work together without having to do much to set it up Apple is clearly better.

In terms of overall privacy and security Apple is better.

For the majority of users what I referenced above is much more important than freedom and customization.

Apps are more standardized with Apple as well.

So while I prefer Android devices in some cases much more over Apple devices, and prefer the level of customization I am not your average user.

I like tinkering. I like problem solving. I like the wide degree of hardware choices. BUT a few years back when Android OEM'S on expensive phones and Tablets were only giving two years of OS upgrades and updates were generally slow to late I had finally had enough. I left Android for a few years completely and it wasn't a bad experience, in fact it was great.

For all of Apple's fault's and there are many, they deliver a consistent experience across devices that all work extremely well together. But no OS is perfect and some of Apple's software and hardware choices are just head scratching. Clearly Apple puts profits above all else and sometimes it is just too much.

I also like to support open source software. When Android OEM'S started changing the update support and continue to offer better hardware features and push the envelope in new designs and software it is hard not to enjoy using Android. But there is no clear superior choice. I think it really comes down to the individual and their use case and preferences.

A list can always be made on either side to claim one being better. But lists are subjective to the person who makes them.

I would say there are things that are great about both. However Apple's anti consumer stance, business practices, chasing profits above the interests of users, choice of where they manufacture their products has left a rather sour taste in my mouth. I understand that all companies chase profits but a company with so much wealth that could do a lot better in these areas makes it particularly egregious and at least for now is keeping me platform and hardware agnostic. If they start changing for the better I would be more of a happy user but for now I am keeping my options open.

Google while being an evil company at times just makes a better phone. The Pixel is a brilliant device in substantive ways that makes a phone better to use. Samsung at least is not as bad as Apple in many ways and seems more aligned with supporting America for the time being than Apple. Samsung allows a lot more flexibility in the use of their products.

Times are always changing. Who knows what the future holds. No company has my individual best interests at heart. I use their products because I have to buy I am under no illusion they care about me more than the money I can give them. Any company that seeks to limit my freedom in how I use my products gets a pretty big knock off the fanboy pedestal. Better integration and better security be dammed if you purposely limit my choice. This is why I will take a small hit to my privacy and integration of my devices.

• Love
Reactions: jimimac71

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Using both (iOS - Work, Android - Personal)

I find Android is far more flexible and interacts much better with my laptops (MacOS, Win10, Win11, Linux).
I find iOS is more rigid but where it interacts it usually works well. That interaction is limited.
I find Android more secure (depends greatly on the OEM) and more private. This would make a great separate thread.
I find they all have bloat. Pixel has the least.

I find myself using Android far more than iOS due to the flexibility.
Current devices: iPhone 13 ProMax, Samsung S23 Ultra, backup OnePlus 10 Pro.

Reactions: AppleSlices

JoJoJones

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2021
Anyone else planning on moving to Android once Apple switches to USB-C? Might as well have an Android at that point. Looking at the Lively Jitterbug Smart3.
My brother in law has the jitterbug3 and can't wait to get rid of it. It's his first non flip phone. Navigating the apps on the phone is a nightmare. I just picked him up a Pixel6a and we are going to get him over to T mobile.

tmmacops

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2019
I did the S20 Ultra Note and the s3 watch at the time, and it was ok. It worked but just wasn’t as smooth as the Apple experience. I’m tempted to try the Pixel7 Pro and their watch, but haven’t made the move yet.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Main reason why my pixel 7 pro is my work phone

Ichinenjuu

Suspended
Dec 15, 2015
Palo Alto
I've been thinking about switching to Android lately. I haven't had an Android phone since 2016. I remember some of the things I didn't like about Android back then and I'm sure they've improved (one of the things I found frustrating was the lack of a native podcast app, but I don't think that's a problem anymore). For me it's not about USB-C, it's more just the fact that I've been using iPhones for 7 years now and I'm wondering what else is out there (also because I use a PC as my main computer. I have a MacBook Air but I mainly use it when I travel). I use a lot of Google apps regularly too, like Gmail, Google Maps, and Google Docs (the latter for work especially). I guess one thing I won't like is that Instagram videos are compressed and low res on Android. I wish the apps could be better optimized like they are on iOS. I'm not a huge social media user, but I do use Instagram every day.

And I too have been disappointed by the photo (over)processing on my 13 Pro Max. Looking back at photos I took with my 8 Plus, the 8 Plus photos often look better.

As for what brand, I don't know. Samsung kind of annoys me with their dumb Apple attack ads and their gimmicky high megapixel count. Pixel obviously has the best Android experience, but I hear Pixel phones often have a lot of bugs. But I can always switch back if I want; I've done it before. I'd just like a little more customization and I'm finding myself less interested in the newer iPhones (the rumors about the 15 Pro and its ginormous camera bump aren't getting me very excited).

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
I've been thinking about switching to Android lately. I haven't had an Android phone since 2016. I remember some of the things I didn't like about Android back then and I'm sure they've improved (one of the things I found frustrating was the lack of a native podcast app, but I don't think that's a problem anymore). For me it's not about USB-C, it's more just the fact that I've been using iPhones for 7 years now and I'm wondering what else is out there (also because I use a PC as my main computer. I have a MacBook Air but I mainly use it when I travel). I use a lot of Google apps regularly too, like Gmail, Google Maps, and Google Docs (the latter for work especially). I guess one thing I won't like is that Instagram videos are compressed and low res on Android. I wish the apps could be better optimized like they are on iOS. I'm not a huge social media user, but I do use Instagram every day.

And I too have been disappointed by the photo (over)processing on my 13 Pro Max. Looking back at photos I took with my 8 Plus, the 8 Plus photos often look better.

As for what brand, I don't know. Samsung kind of annoys me with their dumb Apple attack ads and their gimmicky high megapixel count. Pixel obviously has the best Android experience, but I hear Pixel phones often have a lot of bugs. But I can always switch back if I want; I've done it before. I'd just like a little more customization and I'm finding myself less interested in the newer iPhones (the rumors about the 15 Pro and its ginormous camera bump aren't getting me very excited).
Nothing gimmicky about it. The way the phone uses it produces some amazing shots.

Reactions: Ichinenjuu

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

Based on my experience you will find they work very similar. Similar functions, similar apps, similar .... a lot.
Look for what you want in a phone and ignore the name. I stayed away from Samsung for a good while. Went Pixel, OnePlus, then took my own advice and bought a S23 Ultra. I did remove a lot of Samsung stuff from it ;)
For photos, on my iPhone I use Halide most times due to the over-processing. One thing I do like with Android; I can change the default app. Something you cannot really do with iOS.

Each has plusses and minuses. Find what fits best.
You are right, you can always go back or change.

Reactions: Ichinenjuu

CiP12

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2020
I actually was thinking of switching from Samsung to Iphone because of the USB-C. I hate the MFi games Apple is playing though. Just give the pros Thunderbolt. You don't need to make 30 cents per cable Apple.
now what the hell would you ever do with thunderbolt on a smartphone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.