Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I like FireFox. Not enough to tempt me away from Safari, but if I was on Windows and stuck with IE, I'd jump ship for FF for sure!

Once FF is 1.0, I plan to recommend it to my Windows friends. Maybe throw a copy of it for Windows on my camera's flash card, alongside the Windows iTunes :)

bubbamac

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2003
FireFox for Windows is way, way better than IE, even in it's current Beta status.

Firefox for Mac, unfortunately, still looks like a Windows app - bummer.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I've been using FireFox on my PC for everything since 0.6. IMO it is the best browser for Windows, and a close second/even first to Safari for OS X.

Hoef

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2004
Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
nagromme said:
I like FireFox. Not enough to tempt me away from Safari, but if I was on Windows and stuck with IE, I'd jump ship for FF for sure!

Using FF on my Windows machine, perfect. On thing that I like in FF that Safari doesn't have are extensions, etc... (maybe Safari has it and I missed it). Also bookmarking in Safari isn't all that nice

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
Hoef said:
Using FF on my Windows machine, perfect. On thing that I like in FF that Safari doesn't have are extensions, etc... (maybe Safari has it and I missed it). Also bookmarking in Safari isn't all that nice

I don't belive it does, at least not yet

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I also use firefox, as im stuck on windows. I love all of the features and extensions that there are for firefox. The tabbed browsing experience is priceless. Everytime that i am forced to use IE (windows update- since i dont let my computer do it automatically- and some specific sites that just dont seem to work right in FF) i always miss the tabbed browsing. It has become a new habit for me. so nice...

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Darwin said:
If your referring to the Programs used for extensions then it uses the same Apps that you set for the whole system
He's talking about extensions as in browser "plug-ins" if you like. There are hundreds of great plug-ins for firfox that add all kinds of functionality, it's great!

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
My friend on Windows uses Firefox, a recent version, but it does not allow him to view anything related to Flash. He has to use IE. It must have a flash plugin, right? A browser (which I like very much on the Mac side) couldn't be so deficient that it lacks the ability to play Flash?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Freg3000 said:
My friend on Windows uses Firefox, a recent version, but it does not allow him to view anything related to Flash. He has to use IE. It must have a flash plugin, right? A browser (which I like very much on the Mac side) couldn't be so deficient that it lacks the ability to play Flash?
Reinstalling Flash will cure this problem - Flash simply isn't registered to Firefox as an available plug-in.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Freg3000 said:
A browser (which I like very much on the Mac side) couldn't be so deficient that it lacks the ability to play Flash?
Not true. it runs flash fine (if you're into that kind of thing). The Flash player installer just installs the Mozilla compatible plugin in the /plugins directory.

Firefox isn't deficient, and hasn't been... ever since it was called Phoenix. It rawks ;)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
brap said:
Not true. it runs flash fine (if you're into that kind of thing). The Flash player installer just installs the Mozilla compatible plugin in the /plugins directory.

Firefox isn't deficient, and hasn't been... ever since it was called Phoenix. It rawks ;)
What happened is quite simple - you probably either have Windows XP, or installed Flash before Firefox. If that happens, Flash must be installed again for Firefox to be able to use it.

Fourbin

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
I've been using Firefox on OSX for the past week or so and I like it better than Safari because of the extensions (especially the GMail indicator), themes and most importantly tabbed browsing. However, I was on the Mozilla site today and noticed that they state 'Camino' is the preferred OSX browser because it incorporates with Keychains, Rendevous etc. Is Camino really all that different than Firefox? Which is better?

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
bubbamac said:
FireFox for Windows is way, way better than IE, even in it's current Beta status.

Firefox for Mac, unfortunately, still looks like a Windows app - bummer.

Firefox at .6 was better then Internet Imploder at 6.0. :cool:

I've talked to multiple people about this and they seem to be missing the big picture and that is that FireFox may actually make web developers code to standards instead of MS's craptastic "standards" Which in the long run could very well mean that all web sites will work on Safari instead of the occasional hiccups.

I'm dead serious folks. Push FireFox to your friends as hard as possible. Tell them the install takes up less then 17MB on their system and if they don't like it they can simply uninstall it. Be sure to show them FireFox's themeing engine and extensions. These generation the most ahhhs and ooooos. Esp the adblocker extension. When I show them how easy it is to blow in site ads and get rid of annoying flash ads I've had atleast 3 people jump on FF right then and there.
If we can get FF to comprise 30% of web browsers web developers are going to have to take notice. Even the 18% that is now being reported by some sites is nothing to sneeze at.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
That or you can try them to get full blown Mozilla if they want some other stuff. Web sites can not tell the diffences bettween the 2 browsers. (Firefox is detected to be Mozilla 1.7 by sites which I though was funny but it is it base code so it makes sinces)

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Timelessblur said:
That or you can try them to get full blown Mozilla if they want some other stuff. Web sites can not tell the diffences bettween the 2 browsers. (Firefox is detected to be Mozilla 1.7 by sites which I though was funny but it is it base code so it makes sinces)

Mozilla sucks. I've used it time and again over the year and always end up going back to IE. Its slow to startup, its buggy, its got a rather large footprint. IMHO its not a good browser.
Firefox is THE browser to beat; its the anti-Mozilla. Its small, its fast, its robust, and its generally solid. Ocasionally I have the exe hang after closing the window so I have to kill the task to start up a new session later but I would say that's once every 3 weeks that happens.

condo

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2004
France
right on both browsers

Right, Mozilla sucks and bugs like a 96IE.
Right also, Firefox is great there is no reason for a PC user to switch to an eventual Windows-versionned safari :eek:

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
well i finally got around to testing firefox more intensely against safari. I checked my process veiwer often on both of them, and i found out that safari used between 20-40 megs of memory while firefox used between 50-80. These changes depended on how many tabs/windows i had open. I was surprised at these results. from everyones talk i figured firefox would have been more memory efficient than safari.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
howard said:
well i finally got around to testing firefox more intensely against safari. I checked my process veiwer often on both of them, and i found out that safari used between 20-40 megs of memory while firefox used between 50-80. These changes depended on how many tabs/windows i had open. I was surprised at these results. from everyones talk i figured firefox would have been more memory efficient than safari.
There's a simple reason for that - Firefox uses the Gecko rendering engine, which the developers admit is nowhere near full optimization. Once Gecko is cleaned up, Firefox (and other Gecko-based browsers) will use less memory.

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
wrldwzrd89 said:
There's a simple reason for that - Firefox uses the Gecko rendering engine, which the developers admit is nowhere near full optimization. Once Gecko is cleaned up, Firefox (and other Gecko-based browsers) will use less memory.

Are you sure? I know Gecko has always been criticised for being bloated, but my recollection (as a Phoenix->Firebird->Firefox user since 0.5) is that they said the optimisation of the code was well underway and would be almost over by Phoenix 1.0.

I'm a long time Firefox advocate, but I'm frankly disappointed with how the OS X version has turned out. The Windows version is amazing, and I think it's the best browser ever, but the X version frankly feels like a 0.5 release. What's with that extra window on Exposé? Why does it ignore my dock completely? And why does backspace not work to move back a page on OS X, but it does on Windows/Linux? It sounds stupid, but even if Firefox gets truly great, if there's no backspace to move back, I'm not using it full time. On a laptop, the backspace isn't optional - it just has to be used.

In the meantime, I'm happy full time alternating between Safari and Camino. And I'm converting all my Windows friends to Firefox, as everyone should start doing. :)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
thequicksilver said:
Are you sure? I know Gecko has always been criticised for being bloated, but my recollection (as a Phoenix->Firebird->Firefox user since 0.5) is that they said the optimisation of the code was well underway and would be almost over by Phoenix 1.0.

I'm a long time Firefox advocate, but I'm frankly disappointed with how the OS X version has turned out. The Windows version is amazing, and I think it's the best browser ever, but the X version frankly feels like a 0.5 release. What's with that extra window on Exposé? Why does it ignore my dock completely? And why does backspace not work to move back a page on OS X, but it does on Windows/Linux? It sounds stupid, but even if Firefox gets truly great, if there's no backspace to move back, I'm not using it full time. On a laptop, the backspace isn't optional - it just has to be used.

In the meantime, I'm happy full time alternating between Safari and Camino. And I'm converting all my Windows friends to Firefox, as everyone should start doing. :)
I don't know. I'm completely stumped. :confused: I have no idea why any of the 4 things you mentioned about Firefox are the way they are.

racer

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2004
Thessaloniki,Greece
Hi to everone (this is my first post here :) ), I've been using firefox since 0.5 on windows and from version .7 I've converted all my friends (and a lot of my customers) to it.
Since I'm waiting for my first ever Mac (a small ibook bought off ebay) I was wondering how you guys think it stacks up against the Mac browsers.

thanks.

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
I push FireFox on every single person I come across using IE. As the program is free for anyone and is community supported I have no qualms plugging it like it's nobody's business. As long as it remains free, I will always support and push it others. Once (if ever) they charge for it, I will still tell people to get it, but not as much.

It is truly a great browser, made by some fantastic people. Microsoft may have won the battle against Netscape but the war for the internet is far from over.

Mike

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
well it is still a battle of IE vs Netscaped. it more IE bases browses vs Netscaped bases browsers (Firefox, Oprea, Safria ect) and that is far from over

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.