Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Timelessblur said:
well it is still a battle of IE vs Netscaped. it more IE bases browses vs Netscaped bases browsers (Firefox, Oprea, Safria ect) and that is far from over
Truth be told, it's actually IE-based vs. non-IE-based, since Safari is based on KHTML, not Gecko (the foundation of the Netscape-based browsers). Also, OmniWeb, iCab, and Opera aren't Gecko-based either.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
wrldwzrd89 said:
Truth be told, it's actually IE-based vs. non-IE-based, since Safari is based on KHTML, not Gecko (the foundation of the Netscape-based browsers). Also, OmniWeb, iCab, and Opera aren't Gecko-based either.

let me re-explain it. Gecko is just a driving system in netscaped based browser. There are multiple engines that drive it IE-Bases have multiple enginees behind time.
Opera is Netscaped base but does not run on the Gecko engine. If you look at sites that netscaped has trouble with you will see all netscaped base browser stuggle with it across the board. If it works on one of them Browsers it going to work on all of them. Find a site that Safira will run just fine but firefox is going to complain and have trouble with.

Cohiba

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2004
Boston, MA
Used firefox before I bought my G5, loved it! Couldnt be happier that its pulllings users away from IE, ya know why? Cuase its much better!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Timelessblur said:
let me re-explain it. Gecko is just a driving system in netscaped based browser. There are multiple engines that drive it IE-Bases have multiple enginees behind time.
Opera is Netscaped base but does not run on the Gecko engine. If you look at sites that netscaped has trouble with you will see all netscaped base browser stuggle with it across the board. If it works on one of them Browsers it going to work on all of them. Find a site that Safira will run just fine but firefox is going to complain and have trouble with.
Nope - that's not correct. Safari is NOT Netscape-based. Try using the JavaScript menus at http://www.ati.com/ in Safari v1.2.3 and Firefox V1.0PR. The menus are fine in Safari, but not in Firefox.

EDIT: According to your logic, ALL browsers are Netscape-based, if you're using the code base as the method for categorizing. Why? All modern browsers are based on NCSA Mosaic, including IE and Netscape.

macaddictann

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2004
*Hugs her Firefox/bird*

I have five browsers at the moment. Five. I was having nothing but problems with my browsers (yes, even Safari--sorry) on my usual sites. Something would always be wrong or weird or missing. The only thing that showed everything as close to correctly as I can probably ever hope for was Netscape. But Netscape's so flaky. So I was bouncing around from one to another and getting really pissed, to the point of a near-nervous breakdown. And then yee-ha! I think someone passed me a link to a list of different browsers, and here I am. :) I'm using Firefox .10 at work and Firebird at home (haven't bothered upgrading any, and I'm on Jaguar). I just installed the upgrade at work the other day and added a couple of extensions.

Man, I've totally forgotten pop-ups even exist (except insofar as I mention them here). Pages load so fast. And with the exception of those stupid IE-specific form things, everything works. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.