Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c+r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2023
Zurich, Switzerland
it is widely known that 10G network adapters using Aquantia 107 or 113 chipsets stopped working with the upgrade from macOS 12.2.1 to 12.3. in fora of both, the OC/OCLP and the hackintosh communities, the issue was discussed, lamented, declared as solved … but none of the solutions actually worked.

the bug was particularly nasty because it allowed setting up a connection in the network preferences; macOS showed the 10G connection as working, ditto network analyzers such as LanScan – but the switch or router connected to the 10G card would not receive a signal. in my case, this went unnoticed because of a parallel WiFi connection between the 5,1 and the router. i did notice that access to my 10G NAS was slower since the upgrade from Mojave to Monterey but initially thought this was due to the known issues of OC/OCLP, Monterey, and WiFi/Bluetooth. it was only when i turned the WiFi off that i realized i no longer had an internet connection. i discussed the issue with martin lo who told me that the issue was known and the only solution was downgrading my system from macOS 12.6.5 to 12.2.1.

it was then that i started looking for a solution – but couldn't find one that truly worked. inmate Jazzzny posted on june 5 that he had a possible solution, but not the means to test it – with very little echo. i stumbled across the post more than a month later and was the first to apply. Jazzzny supplied an archive with two kext, and with the help of h9826790, i was able to adapt my OC config.plist.

Jazzzny's first iteration of the .kext did not solve the problem as macOS still loaded its own Aquantia drivers first.

Jazzzny's second iteration solved the issue:

i could boot into macOS 12.6.5 and set up a 10G network connection with a Sonnet Solo 10G PCIe card (which uses the ubiquitous Aquantia 107 chipset). the connection is rock solid and still works after updating from macOS 12.6.5 to 12.6.7.

it is with great joy that i can declare the problem being solved. thanks to Jazzzny's .kext, 10G networking with Aquantia 107/113 chipsets is now possible with Monterey up to the last update.

being a clueless user, i can only report how it worked for me, using martin lo's OC package for MacPro 3,1-5,1:

1. download the archive folder attached to this post
  2. mount and open the OC EFI partition using clover
  3. manually place the two Abuntia .kext in the folder Kexts Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-15 um 03.48.07.png
  4. open the config.plist and go to the ACPI overrides. insert the following code below line 314 (or thereabouts):

Code:
<dict>

<key>Arch</key>

<string>x86_64</string>

<key>BundlePath</key>

<string>AppleEthernetAbuantiaAqtion.kext</string>

<key>Comment</key>

<string>Abuantia plugins</string>

<key>Enabled</key>

<true/>

<key>ExecutablePath</key>

<string>Contents/MacOS/AppleEthernetAbuantiaAqtion</string>

<key>MaxKernel</key>

<string></string>

<key>MinKernel</key>

<string>21.4.0</string>

<key>PlistPath</key>

<string>Contents/Info.plist</string>

</dict>

<dict>

<key>Arch</key>

<string>x86_64</string>

<key>BundlePath</key>

<string>AppleEthernetAbuantiaAqtionFirmware.kext</string>

<key>Comment</key>

<string>Abuantia Firmware</string>

<key>Enabled</key>

<true/>

<key>ExecutablePath</key>

<string>Contents/MacOS/AppleEthernetAbuantiaAqtionFirmware</string>

<key>MaxKernel</key>

<string></string>

<key>MinKernel</key>

<string>21.4.0</string>

<key>PlistPath</key>

<string>Contents/Info.plist</string>

</dict>

it should look like this (klick to expand):​

Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-15 um 03.59.42.png
5. save the changes in the configuration​
6. unmount partition​
7. restart​
8. enjoy​
my thank goes to Jazzzny for solving a bug that for most isn't an issue, but for many was a problem, and to h9826790 for once again providing the bits of code that made the Abuantia kext work.

and as Jazzzny writes in the original thread:

For any users, you can add the attached kexts to your config.
For any potential config maintainers, feel free to include them, but please provide attribution.

Attachments

• Jazzzny_Aquantia_Patch_12.zip
    644.6 KB · Views: 187

c+r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2023
Zurich, Switzerland
Curious if anyone has tried this with the Sonnet McFiver card? I believe it’s using the chipset Aquantia AQC113S.
haven't tried because i only have the sonnet 10G solo PCIe card and not yet mcFiver. but from what i read on other forums, both Aquantia chipsets (107 and 113) stopped working with the upgrade from macOS 12.2.1 to 12.3. i also can't imagine that sonnet would use two different chipsets that need different firmware and drivers.(AFAIK, the 113 is pretty much the same chipset as the 107, just a more modern version.)

if you have a McFiver, why don't you give it a try? it would be reassuring to know that i could order one and it would work right out of the box ;-) (or could you order one from a shop with money-back guarantee so that you're covered if it doesn't work? i would, but i live in switzerland and the McFiver sells for almost double the price in the US – and shipping from and to the US has become insanely expensive in the last 3 years.

Reactions: dabotsonline

lancemcv1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
haven't tried because i only have the sonnet 10G solo PCIe card and not yet mcFiver. but from what i read on other forums, both Aquantia chipsets (107 and 113) stopped working with the upgrade from macOS 12.2.1 to 12.3. i also can't imagine that sonnet would use two different chipsets that need different firmware and drivers.(AFAIK, the 113 is pretty much the same chipset as the 107, just a more modern version.)

if you have a McFiver, why don't you give it a try? it would be reassuring to know that i could order one and it would work right out of the box ;-) (or could you order one from a shop with money-back guarantee so that you're covered if it doesn't work? i would, but i live in switzerland and the McFiver sells for almost double the price in the US – and shipping from and to the US has become insanely expensive in the last 3 years.

Will try this tomorrow with my McFiver and report back, this is exciting! Thanks.

lancemcv1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010

It works with the Sonnet McFiver! It's a miracle! This adds a lot of value back to the McFiver and now makes it a very viable card for the 5,1 Sonnet should cut you guys in. Thanks to @Jazzzny @c+r @h9826790 for their amazing work especially @Jazzzny and thanks to @c+r for reaching out to me. AMAZING!​

cc: @jdmarlow

Last edited:

jdmarlow

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2021

It works with the Sonnet McFiver! It's a miracle! This adds a lot of value back to the McFiver and now makes it a very viable card for the 5,1 Sonnet should cutting you guys in. Thanks to @Jazzzny @c+r @h9826790 for theri amazing work especially @Jazzzny and thanks to @c+r for reaching out to me. AMAZING!​

cc: @jdmarlow

This is hugely exciting. I’ll be setting this up on my 5,1 this week for sure once I get my Monterey boot drive going.

I’m also curious if with these kexts added if the 10GbE McFiver port will work on Big Sur. I’ll report back. Looking forward to your video on this, Lance.

Reactions: lancemcv1

c+r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2023
Zurich, Switzerland
This is hugely exciting. I’ll be setting this up on my 5,1 this week for sure once I get my Monterey boot drive going.

I’m also curious if with these kexts added if the 10GbE McFiver port will work on Big Sur. I’ll report back. Looking forward to your video on this, Lance.
the McFiver should work out of the box with BigSur. it was the update from 12.2.1 to 12.3 that killed the support for Aquantia 107/113. all 10G PCIe cards with Aquantia chips worked fine on all macOS from Mojave upwards (at least that's as far back as i can tell - i've been using my Sonnet Solo 10G card w/o hickups or add'l drivers on Mojave for years.)

what puzzles me is why Apple decided to kill (or alter) support for these chipsets after 12.2.1 – after all, they use this chipset also in the iMac Pro and in the Intel Mini (where 10G ports were offered as upgrade)

jdmarlow

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2021
the McFiver should work out of the box with BigSur. it was the update from 12.2.1 to 12.3 that killed the support for Aquantia 107/113. all 10G PCIe cards with Aquantia chips worked fine on all macOS from Mojave upwards (at least that's as far back as i can tell - i've been using my Sonnet Solo 10G card w/o hickups or add'l drivers on Mojave for years.)

what puzzles me is why Apple decided to kill (or alter) support for these chipsets after 12.2.1 – after all, they use this chipset also in the iMac Pro and in the Intel Mini (where 10G ports were offered as upgrade)
The driver for the 113S chip doesn’t exist in Big Sur. Must be on Monterey to get that working so I was curious if injecting your kext made up for that. Will find out. But I’m setting up another boot with Monterey, this is mostly just a curiosity. Everything else about the McFiver works on Big Sur already.

c+r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2023
Zurich, Switzerland
The driver for the 113S chip doesn’t exist in Big Sur. Must be on Monterey to get that working so I was curious if injecting your kext made up for that. Will find out. But I’m setting up another boot with Monterey, this is mostly just a curiosity. Everything else about the McFiver works on Big Sur already.
Apple uses the same driver for Aquantia 107 and 113

jdmarlow

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2021
I can confirm this fix does not help if you are on Big Sur. In system report the card still shows a “no” under driver. I’ll be cloning my drive and doing the Monterey upgrade now to see how that fares. I assume should do the trick since I’ve already amended my OC package with the new code and kexts

Attachments

• McFiver_No10Gbe_BigSur.png
    McFiver_No10Gbe_BigSur.png
    259.7 KB · Views: 89

jdmarlow

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2021
I can also confirm that on Monterey 12.6.8 with the new kexts and added code the McFiver 10GbE works on my system as well. So that's a no go on Big Sur, as was sort of expected. But good to go on Monterey, to verify what Lance already showed in his video. Some screenshots attached, including 2GbE Internet speed over the McFiver card.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-30 at 10.58.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-30 at 10.58.57 PM.png
    212.4 KB · Views: 144
  • McFiver_Yes10Gbe_Monterey.png
    McFiver_Yes10Gbe_Monterey.png
    263.4 KB · Views: 166
  • McFiver_SpeedTest.png
    McFiver_SpeedTest.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 148
  • Screen Shot 2023-07-30 at 11.23.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-30 at 11.23.06 PM.png
    202 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

lancemcv1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
Just to clarify…this can be used on OCLP/Monterey?
not positive as I use Martin Lo’s but I would think it would if you install the code and the kexts it should in Monterey. Martin has added it to his latest OC package so it’s built in going forward.

Daleyelama

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011
Vienna
Can confirm that McFiver is working with OC version 0.9.4. Have fast internet connection, but the connection to my 10Gbe NAS is limited to around 100MB/s. Has anyone tested this, or is there a workaround to get full bandwidth? Jumbo is set to 9000.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

Daleyelama

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011
Vienna
I can also confirm that on Monterey 12.6.8 with the new kexts and added code the McFiver 10GbE works on my system as well. So that's a no go on Big Sur, as was sort of expected. But good to go on Monterey, to verify what Lance already showed in his video. Some screenshots attached, including 2GbE Internet speed over the McFiver card.
Could you please provide a screenshot of your network status? I do not get 10BGe speed connected with my NAS. It Stucks at 100MB/s, even with 10Gbase-T and MTU to Jumbo9000 settings in the network preferences. Tried it on Monterey 12.2.1 and 12.6.8.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2023-08-19 um 17.46.09.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2023-08-19 um 17.46.09.png
    191.6 KB · Views: 120

kherman

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2022
Have a Sonnet McFiver installed in a 5,1 Mac Pro running OCLP 0.6.8 with Monterey 12.6.9.

Under System Report -> Ethernet the card is recognized by the system but in my System Preferences -> Network I have a connection however it's yellow with PCI Ethernet Slot 3 has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet. I tried injecting the code above into the config.plist and copied the Kext files into my OC -> Kexts folder, I get recognition of the device in System Report -> Ethernet, this time the driver is com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAbuantiaAqtion, but I still have the yellow and same connection status with the above condition - self assigned IP address.

Could this be an OCLP issue? I can't figure wth is going on.

Reactions: lx#1

lancemcv1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
The fix is included in Martin Lo’s latest Opencore package, I don’t use OCLP so I’m not sure if they also have included the fix in the latest version but Martin has included it in his. I manually did it as well before Martin’s latest version that now includes
the fix and it worked. The McFiver should be in slot 1 or 2 to get the full speeds out of the NVMe slots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.