Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obus

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2019
Ok guys. I managed to solve the problems with "self assigned ip" at least on my MP5,1.
I had the same problem on my old hackintosh without VT-d and was fiddling around everywhere on different hackintosh
communities and suddenly found this hack from @CaseySJ for AMD Platforms without VT-d.
I'm running MatinLo:s OpenCore 0.9.7 so if you want to test this just download that package and use attached config.plist. All credit goes to @CaseySJ. This hack will work on Ventura and Sonoma too for those how want to upgrade. I'm running Sonoma and it works great for my Nic Aquantia AQC107-B0.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    6.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

c+r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2023
Zurich, Switzerland
Ok guys. I managed to solve the problems with "self assigned ip" at least on my MP5,1.
I had the same problem on my old hackintosh without VT-d and was fiddling around everywhere on different hackintosh
communities and suddenly found this hack from @CaseySJ for AMD Platforms without VT-d.
I'm running MatinLo:s OpenCore 0.9.7 so if you want to test this just download that package and use attached config.plist. All credit goes to @CaseySJ. This hack will work on Ventura and Sonoma too for those how want to upgrade. I'm running Sonoma and it works great.
Martin Lo's packages are designed to run no higher than macOS 12.7.x (Monterey). with nothing else installed than Martin's 0.9.7 package (which includes jazzzny's kext) and macOS 12.7.x, you should have no issues with a correctly installed 10G card using the Aquantia chipset.

if you upgrade to Ventura or Sonoma using Martin's package (which it isn't intended for) or using any other OCLP / OC solution, don't blame jazzzny if your 10G card is not working as it should on a macpro5,1…

obus

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2019
Martin Lo's packages are designed to run no higher than macOS 12.7.x (Monterey). with nothing else installed than Martin's 0.9.7 package (which includes jazzzny's kext) and macOS 12.7.x, you should have no issues with a correctly installed 10G card using the Aquantia chipset.

if you upgrade to Ventura or Sonoma using Martin's package (which it isn't intended for) or using any other OCLP / OC solution, don't blame jazzzny if your 10G card is not working as it should on a macpro5,1…
Hi @c+r
I'm fully aware of that MartinLo:s package is designed for max Monterey 12.7.x and that's why I use OCLP 1.3.0 for Ventura and Sonoma. Maybe I could have been a little clearer with that in my post. The point with my post was to inform that using the AppleEthernetAbuantiaAqtion.kext provided in MartinLo:s package didn't solve the problem with self assigned ip for my AQC107-B0 Nic but the two patches from CaseySJ, provided in the attached config.plist in my earlier post did. As other people in this thread seems to have the same problem I thought it could be a good idea to share this information. Is that a problem for you? Lastly I can guarantee you that my card is correctly configured and installed.

c+r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2023
Zurich, Switzerland
Hi @c+r
I'm fully aware of that MartinLo:s package is designed for max Monterey 12.7.x and that's why I use OCLP 1.3.0 for Ventura and Sonoma. Maybe I could have been a little clearer with that in my post. The point with my post was to inform that using the AppleEthernetAbuantiaAqtion.kext provided in MartinLo:s package didn't solve the problem with self assigned ip for my AQC107-B0 Nic but the two patches from CaseySJ, provided in the attached config.plist in my earlier post did. As other people in this thread seems to have the same problem I thought it could be a good idea to share this information. Is that a problem for you? Lastly I can guarantee you that my card is correctly configured and installed.
this behavior sounds familiar … it replicates what i experienced before installing jazzny's kext and martin's added config plist. i would get a green light for the 10G connection, but system information would show that the 10G driver wasn't active. the screenshots of the show that apple's own Aquantia driver is loaded and not jazzzny's Abuantia.

i never had the problem with self-assigned IPs because i use manual IPv4 adresses in my LAN. you must of course assign the same IPv4 addresses to the 10G switch or router…

could this be a cache issue? try properly resetting the NVRAM (three chimes to make sure all the garbage is collected and removed).

in my case it also helped that i deleted all existing network settings from the system prefs and set up two new ones from scratch – one for 10G LAN only, and one for 10G and WLAN combined.

on 12.7.x, and with Martin Lo's 0.9.7 package (with jazzzny's kext), the system information should show the Abuantia driver loaded, not apple's Aquantia.
Bildschirmfoto 2024-02-15 um 10.59.15.png Bildschirmfoto 2024-02-15 um 11.00.38.png

(i need to add that - since i'm using Sonnett's 10G solo PCIe card and not a McFiver – my card sits in PCIe slot 3 whereas (IIRC) the McFiver needs slot 2 for the full x16 BW. but that shouldn't matter either because Lance confirmed that Martin Lo's .9.7 package also works with a McFiver in slot 1 or 2.)

so my suggestion would be to first make sure the Abuantia driver is loaded and not the Aquantia, then delete all network settings and create just one LAN connection (no WLAN or 1G cable installed/connected) with a manual IPv4 address, 10G full duplex and jumbo frames, assign the same manual address to your switch/router, then do a full NVRAM reset to your MP and a restart of your router/switch.

as per my last post: this procedure is only valid for macOS 12.7.x and Martin Lo's .9.7 OC package. but i can assure you that it works.

obus

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2019
Already tested all what you suggested above. After enabling the two "Abuantia" kext provided in MartinLo:s package, my Nic isn't even recognised as a Aquantia Nic and as a consequence of that no driver is loaded.

Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 13.16.21.png

There is a built-in quirk (ForceAquantiaEthernet) for Aquantia nic:s in OpenCore (more info here) under Kernel in config.plist and if I enable that patch only I will get the "dreadful" self assigned ip so that doesn't work for me either.
Sure I can try to fix it with assigning my router and other stuff with manually added ip:s but why should I do that when the two patches from @CaseySJ together with the ForceAquantiaEthernet is solving all the problems, loading the native AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion driver and working flawlessly with DHCP. Here is the result:

Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 17.23.03.png

This is what to be inserted and enabled in config.plist instead of enabling the two "Abuantia" kext provided in MartinLo:s package.

Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 17.14.44.png

Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 17.45.41.png

I can't explain why jazznys's kext isn't working with my nic (Chipset Aquantia AQC107S-T1) and I will not put any effort more to dig in to it either. Those how experience the same problem as I are welcome to test attached configuration.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    6.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

c+r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2023
Zurich, Switzerland
Already tested all what you suggested above. After enabling the two "Abuantia" kext provided in MartinLo:s package, my Nic isn't even recognised as a Aquantia Nic and as a consequence of that no driver is loaded.

View attachment 2349669

There is a built-in quirk (ForceAquantiaEthernet) for Aquantia nic:s in OpenCore (more info here) under Kernel in config.plist and if I enable that patch only I will get the "dreadful" self assigned ip so that doesn't work for me either.
Sure I can try to fix it with assigning my router and other stuff with manually added ip:s but why should I do that when the two patches from @CaseySJ together with the ForceAquantiaEthernet is solving all the problems, loading the native AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion driver and working flawlessly with DHCP. Here is the result:

View attachment 2349686

This is what to be inserted and enabled in config.plist instead of enabling the two "Abuantia" kext provided in MartinLo:s package.

View attachment 2349687

View attachment 2349694

I can't explain why jazznys's kext isn't working with my nic (Chipset Aquantia AQC107S-T1) and I will not put any effort more to dig in to it either. Those how experience the same problem as I are welcome to test attached configuration.
maybe you should start a new thread…

my original post was about using 10G NICs with the Aquantia 107 or 113 chipset with OC and Monterey higher than 12.3 (the issues started with the jump from 12.2.x to 12.3). the procedures described in the original post still work just fine using Martin Lo's 0.9.7 package and macOS 12.7.x. i also described how to avoid self-assigned IPv4 adresses – always under the above premises.

if you run into issues (and solve them) with other OC /OCLP means and macOS 13 or 14 – wonderful, fine for you (no irony!)! but you may confuse those (like me) who use their cheese grater as a production system they have to rely on and do not want to venture into ventura or sonoma.

(for better understanding: i was and still am super happy that i was able to solve the 10G issue with the help of jazzzny and martin lo. for me (and like for many others i assume), being able to run 12.7.x on a 2012 5,1 and having a rock solid, absolutely reliable production system is really great. i am thankful to martin lo for his OC packages that do not require me to tinker and lose time or sleep or work or – most likely – all three more than outweighs the disadvantage of not being able to run the latest macOS. it gives me peace of mind that i can just press the power button on my old cheese grater knowing that it will boot w/o hiccups and let me work and earn money with the existing hardware. and yes, if somebody offers me a tried, trued and tested, equally reliable and equally easy way to install macOS 14 and have all my software running w/o glitches, i would give it a try. but so far, OCLP and other OC offerings require too much tinkering with the OS (as compared to Martin's packages) and i risk – like you – running into obstacles like non-functioning 10G network connections… i hope you understand my reluctance.)

Skyfokkerr

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2024
So I've been reading the posts ( all of them) and have tried installing Big Sur ( latest) as well as Monterey ( 12.73) and with ML OC 0.98 and both of them shows my Aquantia card as driver not installed. Worked fine in Catalina. Tried upgrading OS as well as fresh installation on formatted NVME. Even tried OCLP and also didn't work. Even if I overwrote the EFI with ML OC 0.98. I'm going nuts after 10 OS installation attempts. Can't find 12.2 installer online either. Help!

obus

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2019
So I've been reading the posts ( all of them) and have tried installing Big Sur ( latest) as well as Monterey ( 12.73) and with ML OC 0.98 and both of them shows my Aquantia card as driver not installed. Worked fine in Catalina. Tried upgrading OS as well as fresh installation on formatted NVME. Even tried OCLP and also didn't work. Even if I overwrote the EFI with ML OC 0.98. I'm going nuts after 10 OS installation attempts. Can't find 12.2 installer online either. Help!
Try this app to download different osmac versions.

Attachments

• Download Full Installer.app.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

starmax

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
Hey everyone, just wanted to jump in here with my experience. I finally bought a 2019 Mac Pro, which freed up my 5,1. I did a clean install of Monterey 12.7.4 using OCLP 1.4.3 on it and ordered a cheap AQC107S (technically is reported as AQC107-B0) card from AliExpress. It was recognized by Apple's drivers, but like everyone else it would not connect to my network. Downloaded Jazzzny's drivers, installed them on the EFI partition, updated my config.plist with the details in the first post and it worked. So for me, this works with OCLP, and is not dependent on Martin Lo's OC package. Also, I did not have issues obtaining an IP address from my DHCP server with this setup.

Card I ordered in case anyone is interested in a $50 10Gpe card:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.