Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7thson

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I’ve been a supporter for the last 2-3 years. It was $25/year and it felt right, and good, to contribute to what I consider a well run site and forum. I was more than a little disappointed when I was encouraged to renew recently without any explanation as to the 100% price increase. I actually doubted my memory but checked to confirm it was indeed $25 last time I paid.
To be clear, I don’t feel like $50 is outrageous but it is more than I want to spend and combined with the lack of communication about the reason for increase has left me feeling like MacRumors is pulling corporate level shenanigans with its price modeling. It makes Apples price increase on its services look downright reasonable in comparison.
Not looking for a dog pile on this topic one way or another. I’d love an explanation for the justification but am content to just not renew and be done with it.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I can't answer for @arn as to the increase, and speaking only a member, I can mention that the cost of membership was $25 back in 2004 when I became a contributing member, so the price has definitely not increased over a period of at least 19 years. Seen from that perspective, it doesn't seem so bad that it now has increased to $50.

7thson

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I can't answer for @arn as to the increase, and speaking only a member, I can mention that the cost of membership was $25 back in 2004 when I became a contributing member, so the price has definitely not increased over a period of at least 19 years. Seen from that perspective, it doesn't seem so bad that it now has increased to $50.
Ah, good perspective.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
I’ve been a supporter for the last 2-3 years. It was $25/year
the cost of membership was $25 back in 2004

And $25 in 2004 adjusted for inflation is about $40 in 2023 dollars (and, for context, the S&P 500 increased around 300% during that period).

Reactions: N69AP

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
And $25 in 2004 adjusted for inflation is about $40 in 2023 dollars (and, for context, the S&P 500 increased around 300% during that period).
I'm sure the site owner can answer this better than I can, but I seem to remember that the perks were also changed. My point is that I think there was thought given to the increase (and it is a privately-owned site, after all).

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
I would like to submit, again, my request for a new subscriber perk.... remove the daily disagree limit.

Your move @arn and team.

Reactions: I7guy

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
$50 for access to a private forum seems high. I wonder if that will be too much to keep people. Considering the size of this forum that does seen exessive. This is not some upstart website that needs help to keep the lights on.

Reactions: AZhappyjack

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
If I recall correctly, when there was a price increase a year or two ago, long-time contributors/supporters were "grandfathered" in and when we upped our contributing membership for another year the cost was not increased and we paid what we had paid in earlier years. Is this no longer the case?

Reactions: icanhazmac

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If I recall correctly, when there was a price increase a year or two ago, long-time contributors/supporters were "grandfathered" in and when we upped our contributing membership for another year the cost was not increased and we paid what we had paid in earlier years. Is this no longer the case?
You are correct and the policy is still applicable.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Thanks, but.....are you a Stealth Mod or Admin so that you can actually answer the question with authority?

Why do attempts to help get met with responses like this?

It is pretty easy to prove without being a "stealth mod", whatever that is, or an admin:

Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 6.53.30 AM.png

Account Details : Paid Membership

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Thanks, but.....are you a Stealth Mod or Admin so that you can actually answer the question with authority?

From my post in this thread #2, from @arn

Existing subscribers to the contributor tier can continue to extend using the previous pricing, but for new subscribers, the price for this tier is $50/year.

Note: No mythical "stealth mod" powers were used in the creation of this post. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
are you a Stealth Mod or Admin so that you can actually answer the question with authority?
Why do attempts to help get met with responses like this?

FWIW, I didn't read the question as an attack but rather as a request for clarification because the post it refers to is extremely terse and brief. Also, I feel the post's tone implies the answer has an official status.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
FWIW, I didn't read the question as an attack but rather as a request for clarification because the post it refers to is extremely terse and brief. Also, I feel the post's tone implies the answer has an official status.

FWIW, I think the reply to helpful information could have been worded in a little more friendly fashion as well.

Like: "Thanks, where did you find that information?".

Perhaps you never saw it but terms like "stealth mod" have been used in a derogatory fashion in the past. Thankfully most of those members are no longer here.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I’ve been a supporter for the last 2-3 years. It was $25/year and it felt right, and good, to contribute to what I consider a well run site and forum. I was more than a little disappointed when I was encouraged to renew recently without any explanation as to the 100% price increase. I actually doubted my memory but checked to confirm it was indeed $25 last time I paid.
To be clear, I don’t feel like $50 is outrageous but it is more than I want to spend and combined with the lack of communication about the reason for increase has left me feeling like MacRumors is pulling corporate level shenanigans with its price modeling. It makes Apples price increase on its services look downright reasonable in comparison.
Not looking for a dog pile on this topic one way or another. I’d love an explanation for the justification but am content to just not renew and be done with it.

Same. Supported for 3-4 years. When I saw the "increase", I chose not to continue... I considered it a "charitable" contribution... so if @arn wants to turn his nose up at it, that's his choice.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Same. Supported for 3-4 years. When I saw the "increase", I chose not to continue... I considered it a "charitable" contribution... so if @arn wants to turn his nose up at it, so be it.
If you will contact Arn, he can help with you not seeing the $25 renewal for legacy accounts. I believe there is a glitch in the system where it doesn't show like it should to those contributing members.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
If you will contact Arn, he can help with you not seeing the $25 renewal for legacy accounts. I believe there is a glitch in the system where it doesn't show like it should to those contributing members.

Not interested if I have to beg @arn to "let me" contribute... and I think the spammy message at the top of each forum page ("Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.") it particularly cheeky.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Not interested if I have to beg @arn to "let me" contribute... and I think the spammy message at the top of each forum page ("ecome a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.") it particularly cheeky.
You are simply making him aware of a problem on your account not begging. How can he fix a problem for you and others if he doesn't know?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Isn't this one of the more successful forums on the internet. Why the up-charge all of a sudden. Unless the goal is to weed out who joins the private forum.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I'm afraid I'm going to have to give up my "demi-god" title :(. I just can't justify $50/year. Finances these days are not quite rosy.

Probably I didn't get a renewal reminder, which would have allowed me to renew at the legacy price before it expired. I know I got such a reminder last year.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I'm afraid I'm going to have to give up my "demi-god" title :(. I just can't justify $50/year. Finances these days are not quite rosy.

Probably I didn't get a renewal reminder, which would have allowed me to renew at the legacy price before it expired. I know I got such a reminder last year.
Exactly my situation. Some have suggested that I contact @arn and beg ask him to let me support him at the old level. That's not going to happen... and I've noticed that I am spending less time here these days, anyway... so it's a win-win for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.