Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Ok seriously, why the hell do people act like such morons when you put a controller in their hands and a mic by their mouth?

I was just playing Gears Co-Op in XBL and I get this when I start:

Kid: *singing off key* oh...hi there

Me: Howdy

Kid:hm... are you an American?

Me: Huh?

Kid: Are you a Yank? You said Howdy

Me: No, just said howdy is all. I'm from Canada eh?

Kid: well thats Good, I hate ****** Americans, stupid pigs

Me: Thats a little harsh dude

Kid: What? I would hate to be one

Me: Americans made the game we are playing you know

Kid: well **** you

then he dropped me!! He sounded like he was about 10 years old too. wtf?!

I started playing Uno (yeah, Uno it's awesome) and two guys in the same start spouting off about Africans, (how England has too many of them) and Mexicans, (how the US has too many of them) and when they find out I'm from Canada they call ME a ****er for habouring terrorists and how I'm a fairy then leave the game!!!

WHAT THE HELL?! I have never had this before then TWICE in half an hour?!

The XBL community is leaving a great impression on me :mad:

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
Is there not some sort of system through which you can report this?
Or is it ineffective?

The reason for venting over XBL is because IRL they cannot be openly racist. On this service they can call people all the names of the day fairly anonymously.

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
I think it's the internet in general. You see stuff like this on a lot of other forums, and on social network sites like Digg. It's the whole anonomity thing. Most of the people saying this stuff are younger or weaker, so they couldn't get away with it in real life. So they try to sound like tough guys on the internet.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Is there not some sort of system through which you can report this?
Or is it ineffective?

I should have took their Gamer Tag's down but I didn't think to. I was just shocked about it. Like trash talking is all part of the fun. Telling people they got skooled and owned and "eat that bitch" is the reality of gaming (even with good friends) but seriously? Spilling out racist crap? Thats not cool at all.

AppleGuy08

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Haha yah, this happens to me all the time. I play socom combined assault for PS2 online (has one of the biggest online communities of any online game) and if i hear 5 n words and 100 focks, thats a good day. Usually everyone uses some kind of profanity or racist word every other sentence. Like "wtf, i shot that fockin n***er in his little bitch ass head"

yah, pretty bad

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I saw it in Counter Strike : Source the other day as well, was a first for me.

There was some french kid, didn't sound more than 12 singing and talking a lot and insulting people with his mic, then some guy came onto the mic and went 'will you just shut up you ****ing n***er'

What on earth happened to friendly game playing? :(

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Telling people they got skooled and owned and "eat that bitch" is the reality of gaming (even with good friends) but seriously? Spilling out racist crap? Thats not cool at all.

You do? Wow.
My brother does all that swearing stuff on Xbox Live. It's very annoying. But with a 14 year old girl in the house he gets his connection cut whenever he gets too vocal.

Anyways. Give a kid a mic and the internet and it's just a load of chaos. Thankfully nobody uses the mic features on Half Life 2. If anyone does talk I find it distracts me so I just turn off the voice features.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The main reason I joined an over 18's LIVE Clan, was to avoid those annoying incidents.

After you've played online with these annoying live users it totally ruins any enjoyment of live....

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
This is one of the reasons why I don't play halo 2 online anymore.....I've never been called a N so many times in my life before halo2.

The last straw for me is when the dude told me he didn't know N's could afford the 360 and I play like a ditched up N.

I don't mind all the bad mouthing but when it gets too far I leave.

Bless

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
I should have took their Gamer Tag's down but I didn't think to. I was just shocked about it. Like trash talking is all part of the fun. Telling people they got skooled and owned and "eat that bitch" is the reality of gaming (even with good friends) but seriously? Spilling out racist crap? Thats not cool at all.

You don't have to take down their GamerTag.... just go to your "Recently Played List" (right most tab where your Friends are listed).

Then submit a review of file a complaint... it's easy, fast, and effective. ;)

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
This happened to a friend and I on GoW one night. Even though we are not of african-american heritage there were 3 people constantly calling us the "n" word (b/c one of them said it once and I immediately booted them). I kept booting them from the game and they kept coming back. One even sent me a message (text) on Xbox Live that had the "n" word on it. I reported them and even e-mailed Xbox Live support but the person was never banned or suspended :( Even though I had proof in my message box. I left it there until it automatically deleted itself but nothing ever came of my reports about these people.

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
I went on a French server on Counter Strike Source (bootcamp) and I kept getting kicked, and so I kept reloading and then some french person went on team speak and said they dont want my English scum on their servers... (the dude spoke bad english). I hadn't done anything at all its just people ignorance.

gamerz

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
ive noticed it also while playing on xbl. It's nor only racism, but also just complete idiocy. Sometimes people are yelling at each other for nothing, swearing every second word, and they all sound like 10 year olds. I just turn the chat off when this happens, which is in almost 4 out of 5 games.

BengalDuck

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
It's (tragically) the power of giving people a loudspeaker and a chance to be heard without getting to see them. I doubt any of the racists/bigots/hypocrites/overall ******s would say any of the stuff I've heard if the same people were playing in their living room.

I've heard dozens of racits, anti-semetics, homophobes, etc. etc. I end up putting those little kids on mute and reporting them, buyt I know it doesn't do much.

I usually just leave and find another game if i'm just playing with randoms, but most of the time either i'm hosting or one of my XBL friends is, and we just kick them.

One note to this that I recently found out. This isn't just Americans doing this! I played in the early morning a few days ago because I had to be up really early and had some time to kill, and I joined a game with a few people from Sweden in it. Although I couldn't understand what the heck they were saying most of the time, everything was fine until a German dude came in. Then it was "kill little hitler" etc etc etc.

The point is, there are some dumb people who get a kick out of saying stuff over a microphone that they wouldn't have the balls nor the desire to say in real life. Just try and remember that next time you get offended by some douche, and maybe check out another host who will hopefully be more mature.

Cristian

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2006
El Paso, TX
Trash talking and language is ok in my opinion especially when you are playing a rated M game. Racism is something I deal with all the time but I just ignore it because I remember it's just ******* over the internet.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Wow, do I ever love PC gaming without voice chat. I type really quick and don't have to deal with the voices...

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
The only online game I play is WarCraft III, and I only do voice chat with buddies on Skype. We always create our own games, and if people get too mouthy when playing the race card, we boot 'em.

Works out great. ;)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I do find that with Xbox Live.

If the person you are submitting a player review / complaint about are on the 'Underground' or 'Pro' servers, then there is less likleyhood that your bad feedback will do anything, as 'Trash Talk' is par of the course it seems.

However M$ do take Trash Talk complaints and such far more seriously if you choose the Family zone as TT is technically not permitted.

In most cases I've had less TT in the F zone than any other.

However worst than TT is..............

TRASH SINGING... Some tone deaf individual singing an annoying song repeatedly and still getting the lyrics wrong... ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
that's why i mute all those annoying players or if it gets too bad i simply leave the server
but i never had it so bad like you say since back in the day when i was playing a lot online voice chat was still more of an exception than a rule.. and typing out slurs could get you banned quite fast on some better servers

i also played mostly on the same servers with good admins or one from a clan where most of the time some guy was present to avoid such stuff

actually i left 2 clans simply because they wanted me to buy a headset

in theory voice chat is a fantastic addition but in reality it's not really that fantastic, since for every player using it the right way ("two at A", "tunnel", "plaza", "42 behind corner", "grenade", "sniper in top window", "incoming through church" etc.) you get 1 singing stupid songs, 1 spouting of insults and at least 2 talking about what breakfast they had and how cool movie xyz is

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
The best is when little kids are saying it. Then the parents wonder why they are saying these kind of remarks. The Mature rating probably should have been the first sign

wyatt23

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2006
Forest Hills, NY
The profanity of online gaming truly is atrocious. It really is filled with trash (words and people). However, I think by people getting all uproarious about it, just gives the filthmongers more ammunition. If they can get to you, your experience is diminished because of them. People like that look to get a rise out of people. When you boot them or argue back, it only makes their experience fun, while ruining yours.

Racism is bad, but wouldn't it be good to take the power away from the words they use? Ignore them with mute. or listen and laugh at their ignorance.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I haven't noticed that its all too bad on PSN enabled games. Kids will be kids i suppose, the bad part is when parents use consoles as baby sitters.

This was one ding against XBL in my opinion, and one of the reasons why i never bought a X360. I never could play XBL games without some kid, or adult acting like a child ruining the fun.

Maybe PSN over time will become the same way, but for now its not and I like it that way :)

Ed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.