Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onujpt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Tampa, FL
Hello,

I apologize if this has already been covered, but I can't find anything specific to iOS 12 and the new iPad Pro with Face ID.

I'm trying to find a way to split screen with an app that's not in my dock and also without having to turn on the Recent App Suggestions. There are a few ways I've read of doing this with a home button, but none of those seem to work in the same way with having Face ID/no home button.

Is there a way to open an app, any app for example, and then split screen a second app without having to put it in my dock temporarily?

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
If you have the Apple keyboard you can use CMD + Space to enter spotlight, search for the app and drag into split or slideover directly.

onujpt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Tampa, FL
That works! Thank you. What about the poor folks who don't, though? And if I want to Split View when not using the keyboard? Is there any other work around?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
That works! Thank you. What about the poor folks who don't, though? And if I want to Split View when not using the keyboard? Is there any other work around?

I don't have my iPad with me to test it but, last time I checked, accessing Spotlight by other means (pulling down Notification Center, then swiping across widgets and Spotlight) didn't allow you to do the same thing. Not sure if they ever fixed that oversight as I always have the keyboard attached.

Other than that, any other method is a trip back to the home screen I think.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
As mentioned. Go back to home screen, hold and drag the app icon and also open the app you want to split screen with and then drop it

Reactions: chabig

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
I don't have my iPad with me to test it but, last time I checked, accessing Spotlight by other means (pulling down Notification Center, then swiping across widgets and Spotlight) didn't allow you to do the same thing. Not sure if they ever fixed that oversight as I always have the keyboard attached.

Other than that, any other method is a trip back to the home screen I think.

If they haven’t already fixed this oversight I hope it happens soon. I’m still on iOS 11, so I don’t know if this has been fixed... but I will update to 12 soon.

Recently I discovered that when doing a spotlight search from the home screen you actually can drag and drop apps to activate split screen in iOS 11. I’m sure even this did not work in earlier versions. However it still only works from the home screen and unfortunately not when in an app / pulling down notification centre.
Atleast if your looking for an app which is not on page 1 of your home screen it may be easier to go to home screen and then do spotlight search.

Also note that when doing this it does not animate the slide over (I.e. it just shows the app icon and not the blurred rectangle).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.