Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
However, I do think during our youth that many people seemed to see their choice of musical preferences - or their musical discoveries - or the music that was popular at the time - as part of their identity, which was especially strong when they were teens as that was the time when they were assembling their identity, or sense of self.

This is much less pronounced nowdays
I guess, then, Quadrophenia is destined to go permanently out of print soon (Mods vs Rockers!)...
:-(

According to her, all 80s music sucks. She tells me that and I tell her, some of her music sucks.
So what are some of her faves?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So what are some of her faves?
Beatles, Stones, Elton John, Clapton, Dylan, Prince, a lot of R&B and some stuff I just don't know.

Mainly it's all stuff that was being listened to around the house when she was growing up, 60s and 70s stuff. I know Prince crosses over into the 80s but she does like his music.

There's only a few things of what I named that I like.

EDIT: Oh, so here's one we go around and around on…Funky Town!

She likes the original by Lipps. I. Do. Not.

I MUCH, MUCH prefer Funky Town by Pseudo Echo!

Last edited:

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
No, certainly not weird. I’ve never owned a television. I wouldn’t enjoy life as much without music and can map my entire existence all the way back seven decades using music as milestones. I’ve been trying for years to pick my 10 Desert Island Discs however my Top Ten playlists always extended into three figures. I only just succeeded in picking ten recently.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Beatles, Stones, Elton John, Clapton, Dylan, Prince, a lot of R&B and some stuff I just don't know.

Mainly it's all stuff that was being listened to around the house when she was growing up, 60s and 70s stuff. I know Prince crosses over into the 80s but she does like his music.

There's only a few things of what I named that I like.

EDIT: Oh, so here's one we go around and around on…Funky Town!

She likes the original by Lipps. I. Do. Not.

I MUCH, MUCH prefer Funky Town by Pseudo Echo!

In other words, KMET vs KROQ?
;-)

And while we're talking about covers, this probably is my all-time favorite:

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.