Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
That's not possible because songs can be added at any time, as I said. There's no date added for an album.
For each album, just pick the date of its most recently added track. That's exactly what the "Recently Added" view is doing.

Of course, since they haven't gotten rid of that useless giant header that doesn't scroll with the content, album view in playlists would be annoying to use regardless.

Reactions: PommeFruits

68000/030

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2023
Music app is a great example of an application whose autors clearly don't use it - they just make it. The amount of stupid decisions, behaviors that shouldn't get past any QA testing is just staggering.
It's never been great, but man isn't it going constantly downhill...

This app is the main reason I don't use Apple Music - I have rather vast local library that it always tries to break whenever I enable AM subscription (and even stranger things happen after unsubscribing - files flagged as not available, not licensed or whatever, some in a weird state when they are neither on the disk nor available in the cloud anymore - absolutely terrible experience for anyone not relying solely on the streaming. Thank dog that I regularly backup my Music folder...

PommeFruits

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2023
That's not possible because songs can be added at any time, as I said. There's no date added for an album.
They could go by the date the last song was added, as the other person said. So there's currently no adequate workaround for the Recently Added section.

Reactions: jyhash

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
This app is the main reason I don't use Apple Music - I have rather vast local library that it always tries to break whenever I enable AM subscription (and even stranger things happen after unsubscribing - files flagged as not available, not licensed or whatever, some in a weird state when they are neither on the disk nor available in the cloud anymore - absolutely terrible experience for anyone not relying solely on the streaming. Thank dog that I regularly backup my Music folder...

I also have a very substantial local library, but I'm a (reasonably) happy Apple Music sub as well.

However, I have never and will never use the Matching function, that has never worked and I suspect it never will.

AM = just streaming
Local collection is my local collection

They never meet other than in the Music App and then ya gotta keep 'em separated...

Reactions: Macs Pain

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
I like Match 🥸

but I do wish it could be manually disabled as sometimes it matches the wrong master. I *really* wish we could upload our ALAC rips, though.

Reactions: BlueParadox

68000/030

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2023
I never used the Match function though, it's just that I have a mix of my own rips, some purchases from other digital stores and on top of that quite a few iTunes purchases (usually retagged etc as there is often a lot of errors in those og tags). But then my iTunes purchases usually get mangled somehow. Had it like this twice, when only the backup saved me, as I would lose some old purchases that are no longer available for download... I really wish the streaming could be totally separated from local library. It's always a scary moment when enabling some new option in Music.

iphone50

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2014
Hey everyone, downloaded SONOMA and having tons of delays and issues with my keyboard and mouse ever since I downloaded it. Anyone else having that issue or have any fixes for me? Any help appreciated.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Hey everyone, downloaded SONOMA and having tons of delays and issues with my keyboard and mouse ever since I downloaded it. Anyone else having that issue or have any fixes for me? Any help appreciated.
Post your question in a new thread to get a response... this one is specifically for Music-related topics–that's all we're interested in talking about here (in this thread).

jixreme

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2023
Another bug, present since later versions of Ventura and still present in Sonoma:

If you edit the "sort as" album artist field for a specific album (or even an individual song), every song by the same album artist will be edited as well - which renders the sort as feature useless, as every song by this artist will get the same tag.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
apparently changes?

"‌macOS Sonoma‌ 14.1 includes updates for the Music app, introducing an option to favorite songs, albums, artists, and more"

i dont have it installed so just scanning search results

Sonoma 14.1 replaces the 'Love' functionality and heart logo in Music.app with 'Favourite' and a star logo. Favouriting can be done directly from the Now Playing segment at the top of the Music window. Notably, the Favourite star was not added to the Mini Player view — this is weirdly inconsistent with iOS, where the Favourite star shows up in all Now Playing views, including in Notification Centre/Control Centre, etc.

Apple Music now lets you favorite songs, albums, playlists, and artists. With that, your favorite music is automatically added to your library, improving your recommendation.

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
I feel like I say this with every macOS release, but it truly is astounding how awful the Music app is. I am sure it's fine for the masses who stream Apple Music on shuffle and don't give a sh!te about playlist, organizing, editing, and so on. And let's face it, this is who Apple is catering to these days, iPhone users - their biggest base. This is why macOS is slowly morphing into a desktop version of iOS.

The functionality is SO clumsy in the Music app - and confusing, especially while going back and forth between the iTunes Store and your personal library. It's so frustrating and easy to lose track as you're on an awesome 'new music discovery' trip (to purchase). And as Apple continues their obsession with iOS-ifying macOS, they continue to remove any and all elegant GUI elements that used to be present in iTunes (and other macOS apps).

Remember in iTunes when you'd click on an album in a playlist while in album view, and the songs would softly appear with a clean and quick animation while the background color of the album in view turned into the dominant color of the album artwork? Such a nice touch that made your music library look and feel high-end, polished and a bit futuristic. Now, the songs just awkwardly pop into view and in a sea of GUI nothingness.

Don't even get me started on 'tile iOS style' app icons that completely defeat the purpose of what an app icon is supposed to do - draw the eyes to unique images, shapes and colors for quick access without having to read the app's name. Some developers get creative in this area and keep the icons unique and cool, most others, including Apple, lazily slap a glyph in the middle of a solid color or white tile.

On top of all the bugs and glitches, Apple seriously needs GUI designers to overhaul both macOS and iOS. At least start with the Music app. Those tiny little scrub bars that need precision clicking, no cool and subtle animations, no time remaining of a song unless there is a mouseover, no true spectrum analyzer, etc. Then system wide, address those little 'x' (close) boxes and those additional clicks now needed with notifications, and so on. It's just a hot mess and I expect so much more from Apple with their endless resources.

Last edited:

dclivejazz

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2019
I'm having trouble combining files of individual songs into album. This is happening with a set of files I downloaded from a recording that open in Apple Music as individual songs. It looks like the text I enter into empty fields with Get Info is not applying when I hit OK, for one thing.

Also, sometimes when I open the Music app, many of the album cover thumbnails are just a dark blue color or some other pattern. Then I close it and reopen it and the album covers apply.

I have a 2019 Mac Pro. Edited: these experiences started after I updated to Sonoma.

Last edited:

AnimeFunTv

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2009
San Antonio
So just recently did a clean install of Sonoma, and Apple Music had been signed in to my iCloud Apple ID account by default (This is done when you sign in with your iCloud account when doing a fresh install setup of any modern MacOS)

But, I use a different Apple ID (because it predates iCloud) where I have my iTunes music purchase's in.

However, I can't seem to login with my iTunes Apple ID.

I can log in, and out of my iCloud account ID no problem.

When I enter my iTunes Apple ID and it doesn't prompt me with anything, if I go to the Account tab, it still shows Apple Music as being signed out.

If I go into iTunes Store and attempt click 'Account', it prompts me with "There was a temporary problem completing your request. The network connection was lost."

Reactions: zapmymac

AnimeFunTv

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2009
San Antonio
So a bit of trouble shooting, I created another temporary admin account, did not log into iCloud account when it asked me during new user prompts. Opened Apple Music, signed in with my iTunes Apple ID and this time it worked as it asked me for my credentials across my devices. So something must've have gotten corrupted when I initially signed into my iCloud account when doing a fresh install... huh..

EDIT: So I FINALLY got it to work. I delete as much related files to Apple Music/iTunes in both Library/Preferences and Cache folders. It still didn't work, so I kept logging in and out of both my iTunes and iCloud account and then all of a sudden, it worked! it logged me into my iTunes account. strange though it didn't ask me for my auth pin from any of my apple devices; but at least its working now lol.

Last edited:

TobiWan77

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2023
hi there ! since 14.1 beta 2 the artwork of the "recently played" section is screwed. most of the artwork is not shown anymore. all are original Apple Music playlists. in playlist view artwork is shown. anyone else has this ? have this issue on my iMac and MacBook. weird thing is, it only occurs on the "recently played" view. in all other lists artwork is fine.

Attachments

• Xnip2023-10-20_09-42-22.jpg
    Xnip2023-10-20_09-42-22.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: Lvivske

jyhash

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
Eugene, OR
I'm having trouble combining files of individual songs into album. This is happening with a set of files I downloaded from a recording that open in Apple Music as individual songs. It looks like the text I enter into empty fields with Get Info is not applying when I hit OK, for one thing.

Also, sometimes when I open the Music app, many of the album cover thumbnails are just a dark blue color or some other pattern. Then I close it and reopen it and the album covers apply.

I have a 2019 Mac Pro. Edited: these experiences started after I updated to Sonoma.
I recommend getting a third-party Metadata/Tagging app to fix this. I've found over the last few iterations of Apple Music, that when trying to consolidate those individual track additions, or an entire album that imports a song or two separately and you just can't get them all to consolidate no matter what the changes made in the "Get Info" menu in the Music App.

So I started using a program I picked up called "Meta" which is a tag editing app, that (in my opinion) works very well. If I pull the album into the Meta app first to make sure everything is tagged properly prior to importing it to Apple Music, I've found that it behaves itself very well after import if you run it through Meta first.

Also, I've found these general tips very helpful, especially when dealing with importing to Apple Music:
  • If you have an album that is more than one artist in the "Artist" field (say, a soundtrack to a movie, or a "best of X genre" style album), keep that field populated, figure out someone to assign as "Album Artist", then make sure and mark the entire album as a "Compilation", even if there is one artist different than the main artist. Otherwise, those tracks will always be separate.
  • Don't fill out ALL Artist, Album Artist, and Composer sections on an album. Artist and Album Artist work, especially if you're doing a compilation. But the addition of the Composer section seems to mess with the tag.
  • Make sure the comment section is cleared on the track, as it sometimes will screw with the application of the tags.
Anyway, hope that helps!

Reactions: zapmymac

coffeeplease

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2019
Anyone experiencing an issue where music starts playing at a higher pitch? As if it's sped up, but at normal speed. I need to restart the app to fix it.

68000/030

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2023
Are you using external audio interface? When I did in the past, for some reason it sometimes started playback at the wrong sampling frequency

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.