Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
Few things I've noticed in beta 2:

• Selection outlines now appearing when hovering over the lyrics and upcoming buttons, however nothing yet for the play/pauses buttons which also have outlines in Podcasts.
  • Animated playlist artwork in Listen Now are now present, the same as iOS
  • Mute and full volume glyphs on the volume slider are now selectable and change colour when clicked

• Love
Reactions: ErikGrim

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Has anyone noticed any performance increases in the Music app between Catalina and Big Sur? I was pretty disappointed when upgrading from Mojave to Catalina and discovering that the mostly smooth scrolling in iTunes was now very jagged. I’m hoping they’re refined that a bit.

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
Has anyone noticed any performance increases in the Music app between Catalina and Big Sur? I was pretty disappointed when upgrading from Mojave to Catalina and discovering that the mostly smooth scrolling in iTunes was now very jagged. I’m hoping they’re refined that a bit.
It’s currently worse than what it was on Catalina, but this is kinda system-wide, so I expect it to get better later on.

inket

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
Is anyone else having issues displaying artwork? I have 988 albums and only 2 have artwork for some reason.

Right click > Get Album Artwork didn't help, and I haven't tried to check "Automatically update artwork" in case that causes some of my MP3 albums to lose their embedded artwork.

I tried deleting ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Music but it didn't help. (that used to help back in the iTunes days I think?

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
All these young kids, telling us iTunes is dead and we crusties should adapt to this new Music app thing, well, those young cowpokes should mosey on over to:

[automerge]1594525233[/automerge]

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I changed to Music with much pain in Catalina, but now have my large curated library under control.
Upgrading to Big Sur Beta 1 was a disaster. It did not copy the Music file info from the Catalina library or upgrade the index. I had to reimport everything and it promptly started duplicated everything in my iCloud library.
Has anybody had better luck with Beta 2.

funkypepper

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
Does one still has to restart Music manually to get Apple Music connection after a system restart?

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Apologize if this isn't the right thread, but this seems like the most knowledgable thread here on Apple Music. I can't find a way to search with a playlist. I feel like this was something I could do back in iTunes.

The only way I can figure out to do it now is to sort my playlist by whatever metric I'm looking for, then look for the artist/ song/ album, etc. The problem with this is that I have my most used playlist sorted by least recently played, and every time I change the sort order, it re-syncs to my phone & watch, and it takes forever, sucks down the battery life and makes the phone unusable (every app that I try to use is unresponsive and eventually crashes).

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Apologize if this isn't the right thread, but this seems like the most knowledgable thread here on Apple Music. I can't find a way to search with a playlist. I feel like this was something I could do back in iTunes.
It's my number one complaint. Hiding away the filter field, the MAIN UX interaction with my playlists other than selecting songs. And you have to activate it every time you switch playlists!

TonyM42

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2015
Reading UK
Is anyone else having issues displaying artwork? I have 988 albums and only 2 have artwork for some reason.

Right click > Get Album Artwork didn't help, and I haven't tried to check "Automatically update artwork" in case that causes some of my MP3 albums to lose their embedded artwork.

I tried deleting ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Music but it didn't help. (that used to help back in the iTunes days I think?
Exact same problem. Did you find a solution yet?

Update.....I waited for Beta3 to see if that might correct the issue, but it didn’t so I opted to reinstall all my artwork images - 958 albums in my case....took the whole of yesterday, and imagine my relief after turning off my Mac, then turning it on today and they were all still there!!

Last edited:
Reactions: inket

Divegent

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'm not sure, but wasn't it possible before to have right-click on both the two finger tap and the bottom corner click? Now I can only choose one in the trackpad settings.

EDIT: This seems to be not related to Big Sur, but to upgrade vs. set up new. Another user here reported the same issue on an older version of macOS / Mac OS X. I now just clean-installed my MacBook with the Beta for the first time since years and the double option for the right-click seems to have stayed there all the time while I just upgraded. But in the link above is also a solution. Just follow the steps of the second answer and paste the terminal commands (all lines!) and restart your Mac to make it work again.

Last edited:

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
It's version 1.1.0.186 in Beta 3. Some of the changes/fixes I have found:
- It has the iOS 14 icon
- The results box now appears properly
- It doesn't crash when having input larger than the size of the search field
- Right clicking on an item within the “Browse” and “Listen Now” content areas no longer opens the contextual menu at a random location. I believe the issue started occurring in Catalina, but it is resolved now.
- There's a new "Play" icon. Seems more like a bug (hopefully)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-23 at 01.14.23.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-23 at 01.14.23.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot 2020-07-23 at 01.20.07.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-23 at 01.20.07.png
    749.3 KB · Views: 132
  • Screenshot 2020-07-23 at 01.52.28.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-23 at 01.52.28.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Reactions: DinkThifferent

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Hey everyone, are you filing bugs? Surely I'm not the only one who has filed this?
[automerge]1595468992[/automerge]
Here's a fun one too. Because the search box is part of the sidebar list, it disappears up with the scroll:

1595468977080.png

Attachments

• 1595468836988.png
    1595468836988.png
    278.3 KB · Views: 126

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Hey everyone, are you filing bugs? Surely I'm not the only one who has filed this?
[automerge]1595468992[/automerge]
Here's a fun one too. Because the search box is part of the sidebar list, it disappears up with the scroll:

View attachment 936569
What’s worse, even the shortcut to activate the search field stops working when you scroll away from it. On Catalina at least - or has this been fixed?

orangedog6

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2020
Unfortunately, I've downgraded back to Catalina after having Big Sur developers beta since release. I think the real issues started at about 1:30am when I was woken up by the startup sound from the Mac which was rather startling! It happened again as it was doing updates. (the Mac was asleep with the lid down) Then I've had issues with green icons in the settings menu and on the Touch Bar like others have experienced. My keyboard backlights had also stopped working in beta 3. I'm looking forward to the main release of it though when hopefully all the bugs have been ironed out!

SEmAN

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
Has Big Sur fixed the problem where the music stops when a song is added from Apple Music to library?

inket

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
Exact same problem. Did you find a solution yet?

Update.....I waited for Beta3 to see if that might correct the issue, but it didn’t so I opted to reinstall all my artwork images - 958 albums in my case....took the whole of yesterday, and imagine my relief after turning off my Mac, then turning it on today and they were all still there!!

No solution yet. I still have hope that it will be fixed in a future beta since my mp3 files still have the artwork in their ID3 tags. Reinstalling the artwork for all 900+ albums would take way too long for me ? Might be possible to fix it using AppleScript but I'll hold until the GM before exploring fixes like that.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
2 bugs fixed in 1.1.0.208:
  • Play icon being cut off
  • Genius Results no longer return an error (?)
1 new bug introduced:
  • Shuffle and Repeat icons don't appear until you click Shuffle in a playlist. Icons don't work when clicked (new in 1.1.0.208)

Last edited:

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Scrolling my 110K+ library in song view is buttery smooth on my first get 5K iMac. Side by side with iTunes it feels exactly the same.

Reactions: Traverse

funkypepper

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
I wonder if they fixed the MiniPlayer reposition bug. It used to work in iTunes, but not in Music. The worse thing is, it works on my external display, but not on my MBP retina.

Let me explain:

- Move the MP to the bottom side of the screen.
- Toggle lyrics or playlist
- Observe MP album art move upwards
- Toggle list again
- It stays there, does not move back below

IT'S SO ANNOYING! Reported it already long time ago, and still continue to update whenever a new release comes out. This time I'm staying on Catalina until BS goes stable.

RednBlue

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2013
Reading UK
Not sure if this is unique to me or a general glitch, but I discovered that Music had reset my Equaliser settings to flat default. No great problem to put them back to how I like them but just wondered if same for everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.