Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilsonNM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2023
Has anyone else been seeing a pop-up on their iPhone instructing on the usage of Mute/Unmute when connecting AirPods? I have the latest version of iOS and AirPods Gen 3.

I noticed the pop-up started appearing after updating to iOS 17. I thought it was a one-off, but I still see it every now and then (and its appearance doesn't follow any pattern than I can discern).

I know this isn't much of a "problem", but it does seem like a glitch to me. I also once had it appear while my AirPods were in their case... 🤔

SteveAetrnX

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2023
Has anyone else been seeing a pop-up on their iPhone instructing on the usage of Mute/Unmute when connecting AirPods? I have the latest version of iOS and AirPods Gen 3.

I noticed the pop-up started appearing after updating to iOS 17. I thought it was a one-off, but I still see it every now and then (and its appearance doesn't follow any pattern than I can discern).

I know this isn't much of a "problem", but it does seem like a glitch to me. I also once had it appear while my AirPods were in their case... 🤔
I am also having this problem quite frequently. I registered to post in this forum just so I could reply to you because I haven’t seen anything else about it.

Reactions: WilsonNM

WilsonNM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2023
Yes, I haven't been able to find out much about it either (the message just popped up again today--it really does seem to be random). But I suppose it's good to know I am not the only one who has experienced this.

WilsonNM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2023
Okay, confirmed bug--that's all I can say at this point. It is occurring with the exact same symptoms for all of us.

(The pop-up appeared while they were in the case today for me; this would be the second time it's happened).

Bostton1

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2023
Why’s there only 4 of us with this problem? I scoured the internet and this is the only place I can find people talking about the problem. So I had to register to post.

I have 3rd gen AirPods if that matters.

Nina Rosso

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2021
I’ve had the same several times with my Powerbeats Pro, rather annoying, and also once or twice with Beats Fit Pro. That occurred about a month ago, but didn’t come back afterwards.

avheatherim

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2023
Air pods gen 3 here, it pops up all the time when I take them out of my ear without pausing a YouTube video.

Edit to add: On my 15 Pro Max.

RandomHavoc

macrumors member
May 26, 2010
I've got the same problem. Most times when I put them in my ears the pop-up shows up. Irritating

culo77

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Chicago
Oh gosh it’s so annoying. Happens to me on my iPad which is on 17 but not my iPhone which is on 16. It’s the only reason I have not updated my iPhone to iOS 17

AJTC

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
Happens to me on both my phone and iPad on iOS 17.1.1 with AirPods 3.

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
I’ve had it on my AirPods 3rd Gen. on my iPhone 14 Pro Max & iPad 11” 2022.

Did appear a few times with my Lightning AirPods Pro 2nd Gen. as well but seems to have stopped with the subsequent firmware updates for those.

13lobos

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2023
I am experiencing the same issue with my gen 3 AirPods using an iPhone 15 pro max on iOS 17. The message appears seemingly at random anytime I put them on or take one out of my ear.

gravy193

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2023
Registered an account just to join my voice to the chorus. I have an iPhone 15 pro max and have AirPods (gen 3). It’s just a little bug that annoys me. Hopefully it gets resolved.

Attachments

• IMG_0572.png
    IMG_0572.png
    405.4 KB · Views: 69

OzCrayfish

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2016
I feel like maybe it’s meant to be a “feature” rather than a bug. Nevertheless, I hate it.

Thedoaner

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2023

Ugh how do we stop this?!? So annoying. I too registered just to vent about this issue 😅

Reactions: WilsonNM

papaleo

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2023
I didn’t even realise that most people don’t have this issue, I hope it gets fixed soon… I use my AirPods Gen 3 with my iPad and iPhone and the notification pops up EVERY SINGLE TIME I open the case. Very frustrating.

PixelLadder

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2023
Same here. AirPods 3, I get the pop up on iPhone and iPad, both on 17. When it first happened, I also assumed it was a one time, educational thing, and that I would never see it again. Since then I’ve probably seen it hundreds of times. While I most commonly see it When putting the AirPods in or taking them out, it happens also just completely randomly - AirPods in the case, no interaction whatsoever, and the pop-up just appears. Very annoying!

calmbubbles

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2023
Made an account just to say I have this problem too! I get this same pop up every time I use my 3rd gen AirPods with my iPhone 15. Never used to happen with my iPhone 11. Must be a bug…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.